Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Been searching for a while now and still haven't found any specific course content / module lists for the science foundation year course. If anyone has any info on this I would be super grateful if you could share

ALSO found a few posts on TSR from people panicking about their foundation year interview + maths test. Unfortunately they all seem to have been abandoned after the posters actually went to the interview. So I will try to be useful and post the questions I remember from mine:

1) what is 6!
    2) A school has nine times as many students as professors. Assuming the number of professors is represented by P, and the number of students by S - write a definition for the ratio in terms of S and P.
    3) Simple formula re-arranging to make x the subject (included some parenthesis and a square rooted term)
    4) Can't remember! Nothing too different from the rest.

After panic studying for my interview I really found the maths test much easier than I thought. But don't underestimate the pressure of having to do it with the professor looking over your shoulder, it can lead to silly mistakes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aku Aku)
    Been searching for a while now and still haven't found any specific course content / module lists for the science foundation year course. If anyone has any info on this I would be super grateful if you could share

ALSO found a few posts on TSR from people panicking about their foundation year interview + maths test. Unfortunately they all seem to have been abandoned after the posters actually went to the interview. So I will try to be useful and post the questions I remember from mine:

1) what is 6!
    2) A school has nine times as many students as professors. Assuming the number of professors is represented by P, and the number of students by S - write a definition for the ratio in terms of S and P.
    3) Simple formula re-arranging to make x the subject (included some parenthesis and a square rooted term)
    4) Can't remember! Nothing too different from the rest.

After panic studying for my interview I really found the maths test much easier than I thought. But don't underestimate the pressure of having to do it with the professor looking over your shoulder, it can lead to silly mistakes.
    The course content varies according to which degree programme you'll be going on to. If you tell me which specific subject you want to know about, I can give you the course structure for last year.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks I'll be going into Computer Science.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aku aku)
    thanks i'll be going into computer science.
    Here you go. The percentages are the pass mark for that particular super unit. Also, you take a test at the beginning of the year that determines whether you do OB1/OB2 or OC1/OC2, they pretty much cover the same stuff but OC1 and OC2 do it at a slower pace for people who haven't done Maths for a while.

Super Unit 1 (60%)
    • Maths 0B1/0C1 (Functions, Logarithms, Partial Fractions, Trigonometry, Differentiation, Integration)
    • Maths 0N1 (Logic, Polynomials)
    • Maths 0B2/0C2 (Complex Numbers, Polar Coordinates, Geometry, Matrices, Further Integration, Further Differentiation)

Super Unit 2 (50%)
    • Option 1
    • Option 2
    • Option 3

Super Unit 3 (60%)
    • Maths 0D2 (Polar Coordinates, Interpolation, Numerical Solutions of Equations, Areas, Lengths, Volumes, Numerical Differentiation, Numerical Integration, Recurrence Relations, Reduction Formulae, Mathematica)
    • Maths 0F2 (Vectors, Probability)
    • Maths 0J2 (Mechanics)

Super Unit 4 (50%)
    • ICT (Basic IT Skills, Excel, Gantt Charts)
    • Academic Skills (Mostly Referencing)
    • Project (Group project on something related to your school. I don't know what the CS people did but for EEE we designed a circuit to operate a computer fan)

You choose two options from:

Physics: Matter
    Physics: World of the Electron
    Chemistry 1

and one option from:

Chemistry 2
    Physics: Waves

If you want to know more about the content of a particular module or anything, let me know.

ReputationRep:
    Great, you've been really helpful, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Hi there. I work on the Integrated Foundation Year course, and just wanted to add that super units and pass criteria may change from year to year.
    The official information about course units, progression requirements etc. will all be made available to new students online once they've formally accepted their place. You will also be given plenty of information about this during welcome week. Hope to see you there!
    Hannah

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrHannahChalk)
    Hi there. I work on the Integrated Foundation Year course, and just wanted to add that super units and pass criteria may change from year to year.
    The official information about course units, progression requirements etc. will all be made available to new students online once they've formally accepted their place. You will also be given plenty of information about this during welcome week. Hope to see you there!
    Hannah
    Hi Hannah, I received an offer for the course you work on and hae received an offer of BBC(Maths, physics and further maths) and was wondering if getting grades ABE or BBE with an E in further maths would hinder my place...I have an extra D in biology a2 and c in English lit as

If you are not able to answer would you be able to tell me how I could contact someone about this. I emailed Dr. Nedwell last week but haven't heard back yet.
    The course is perfect for me and I can't imagine doing a different course at a different uni, is there any insight you could give me? Thank you very much for reading this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adamcarey)
    Hi Hannah, I received an offer for the course you work on and hae received an offer of BBC(Maths, physics and further maths) and was wondering if getting grades ABE or BBE with an E in further maths would hinder my place...I have an extra D in biology a2 and c in English lit as

If you are not able to answer would you be able to tell me how I could contact someone about this. I emailed Dr. Nedwell last week but haven't heard back yet.
    The course is perfect for me and I can't imagine doing a different course at a different uni, is there any insight you could give me? Thank you very much for reading this
    Hiya
    Try emailing [email protected] which is the central office email, and I'm sure someone will be able to answer your query. Hope that helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrHannahChalk)
    Hiya
    Try emailing [email protected] which is the central office email, and I'm sure someone will be able to answer your query. Hope that helps!
    Hmm, that's the email I tried before but got no response. I'll try again. Thank you

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.