Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Where can I buy an adapter so I can watch things from my laptop on my tv?

Can you link me please?
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Undisclosed 15)
    Where can I buy an adapter so I can watch things from my laptop on my tv?

Can you link me please?
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Do you not have other display connections? e.g. dvi, etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iqbal007)
    Do you not have other display connections? e.g. dvi, etc
    Only a vga

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Only a vga

Posted from TSR Mobile
    There seems to be quite a lot for what your looking for though expensive..........its a usb with a audio cable that connect to the laptop and converts it to a hdmi port to connect a cable to from the display. Pretty similar for the vga version

ReputationRep:
    USB is a serial connection; HDMI is parallel - they are fundamentally incompatible without extra hardware. It's also very difficult to tell a computer to send video out through a USB, and it would likely be impossible to tell the TV to accept video from a USB port.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by benplumley)
    USB is a serial connection; HDMI is parallel - they are fundamentally incompatible without extra hardware. It's also very difficult to tell a computer to send video out through a USB, and it would likely be impossible to tell the TV to accept video from a USB port.
    There are, though quite expensive, the hdmi end of the converter is quite bulky in comparison to simply having a wired converter. And the hdmi end is just a hdmi port.

ReputationRep:
    It wouldn't really be just an adapter. It would basically be a USB external video card.

Uncompressed images require way too much bandwidth than USB can provide, so the computer needs to compress images before sending them over USB, and have hardware on the other side to decompress images.

How much quality loss you get from this compression depends on complexity of the scene and quality of the hardware.

From what I've read, watching a video or gaming over USB 2.0 is pretty bad (since you only have a VGA port with not even DVI, I'm going to assume you don't have USB 3.0). It's basically only good for word processing and web browsing, etc.

DisplayLink is probably the most popular solution: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...pter,3006.html

To be honest, I really wouldn't bother with trying to use the USB port. I would just start from VGA and see what kind of adapters you need to get that into something your TV can support. It will be much cheaper, and you will get higher quality images, with lower CPU usage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by benplumley)
    Just to expand on this a bit...

It's true that HDMI is semi-parallel, but that's not really why a cheap adapter cannot be built. It is possible to do serial/parallel conversion using a cheap CPLD (<£1) or FPGA/ASIC. There are also serial display formats like DisplayPort (multi-lane serial, just like PCI-E).

The fundamental problem is the way hardware is hooked up.

All these high speed interfaces require significant hardware support, because CPUs aren't nearly fast enough to do this kind of things in software.

For example, for HDMI/DVI/DP, the GPU renders images into an internal section of VRAM called the framebuffer, and then there is specialized hardware that reads those sections at very high speed, and converts/serializes it straight into the required formats for HDMI/DVI/DP or the DAC (for analog output options). That's the video/display signal path.

USB, on the other hand, is a lot more flexible since it's packet-based, but a lot of the low level packaging/checksum generation/serialization is still done in hardware (OHCI/EHCI/XHCI controllers, for USB 1.1/2.0/3.0 respectively). The CPU generates the data, writes it to DRAM along with some metadata (slave address, etc), and signals the USB controller to go read that data, packetize it, serialize it, and put it through the pipes. This is the USB signal path.

That's why it's impossible to get native video data out of the USB ports. The hardware is just not hooked up to support that.

The way those external USB video cards work is they write a driver that tricks the OS into writing image data into DRAM, do some compression, then send these images over USB as good old data (not in display pixel format). Then it uses special hardware on the other end to decompress the data into its own framebuffer, and use its own special hardware to do everything a GPU usually does to convert that into HDMI.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the info guys

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    By the way, have you looked into Chromecast? That may be the easiest option. It's also pretty cheap.

It does have a delay, though, I believe. So it would only work for non-interactive things like watching videos. Not playing games.

ReputationRep:
    How come I can buy a microusb to HDMI if I cannot buy a USB to HDMI adaptor or connector?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    How come I can buy a microusb to HDMI if I cannot buy a USB to HDMI adaptor or connector?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    They do exist. See my link above.

ReputationRep:
    Some phones and tablets have a multi function micro USB port. When in display mode it's not really a USB port anymore but acts as a HDMI port.
    Not all phones and tablets can do this as it has to supported.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Camoxide)
    Some phones and tablets have a multi function micro USB port. When in display mode it's not really a USB port anymore but acts as a HDMI port.
    Not all phones and tablets can do this as it has to supported.
    Oh yeah that's more likely.

In short, it won't work with the laptop.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 13, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.