IB math HL IA/ Exploration ideas

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tenorblizzard)
    Find a curved road on google earth, copy it
    Then scale it on geogebra and take note of the coordinates.
    Now you find the function of best fit. And then calculate the length of the function from point a to b.

In order to find a function of best fit, look for polynomial regression. You use partial differentiation, matrices, and some statistics

Then to find the length of a function, use arc length. This requires basic calculus knowledge.
    That was pretty much it. Hope it helps

hello! how do you copy the road on google maps and get it on geogebra?

ReputationRep:
    How does one copy a road off google maps?

ReputationRep:
    Can you help me with my IA? I'm stuck midway

ReputationRep:
    @tenorblizzard I need help with my IA could you please contact me?

ReputationRep:
    Sorry but until I get my results in January, I would wanna keep it personal. I can definitely help you with your IA, tho! just send me your facebook link or whatever through personal messages and we can talk on facebook.

Still, I think that polynomial curve fitting is really easy to understand and it is just at the level of a math ia. there are many different applications of it and I think you should try to find one!
    This is the only source that taught me polynomial curve fitting, but im sure that your high school library has some books on statistics.
    http://web.iitd.ac.in/~pmvs/courses/...rvefitting.pdf
    @tennorblizzard, can you tell me what kind of statistics you used in your IA?

ReputationRep:
    Hello everybody, im in math hl (first year) and i'm supposed to write a math IA about patterns . I was thinking about this one "finding a pattern on the growing in heigh of a specific plant using a certain amount of water (that i increase day by day : for example the first day 2mL and each next day i increase the amount by 2mL) and using a specific time". What do you think?

Please help me . I have no idea how to do it.

ReputationRep:
    Tennorblizzard, I would like to know what kind of statistics you used in your IA?

ReputationRep:
    Hi!
    i too wish to do my math IA on the toroidal universe theory. could you please help me out with a few important sources of information which would help me achieve a 7 in my IA. Also, if possible, could you tell me how you approached and researched this topic.\
    sincerely,
    tanishka

ReputationRep:
    Now you find the function of best fit. And then calculate the length of the function from point a to b.

In order to find a function of best fit, look for polynomial regression. You use partial differentiation, matrices, and some statistics

Then to find the length of a function, use arc length. This requires basic calculus knowledge.
    How do you copy an image from google earth and scale it. Btw how much did u get in personal engagement

ReputationRep:
    can u explain in bit more detail. Cause idk how u copy a google earth pic to geogebra and how u trace it

ReputationRep:
    If you've got your result already can you please send your IA to me? It would be really helpful cause I'm really confused right now

ReputationRep:

If I did this would it be plagiarism? I love the idea props to you man

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KenjouHitokage)
    So fractals seems to be where im heading, have you guys got any suggestions as to what I should be exploring and any paticular ideas. Either the maths is too complicated or not to my level hmm
    Fractals are strongly linked to recursion and recursive patterns so maybe you could link them to discrete mathematics (which is an HL option so it will require reading before you write the exploration). You can also google the Mandelbrot set and see if it interests you. Or you could somehow link them to geometry or series (by saying for example that the size of each shape is a term of a sequence and working with that).

ReputationRep:
    Sorry but until I get my results in January, I would wanna keep it personal. I can definitely help you with your IA, tho! just send me your facebook link or whatever through personal messages and we can talk on facebook.

Still, I think that polynomial curve fitting is really easy to understand and it is just at the level of a math ia. there are many different applications of it and I think you should try to find one!
    This is the only source that taught me polynomial curve fitting, but im sure that your high school library has some books on statistics.

Hi, TenorBlizzard!!

I have a few questions concerning your IA. I'm modelling a curve using spline interpolation but there is a fair bit of calculus involved. My IA is somewhat similar to your but I was wondering whether I might be able to talk to you on FaceBook. It would be great to get some advice and feedback from an experienced IB student. If you see this message, would it be possible for you to reply that way I can send you my FaceBook link?

~ Thanks so much

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

Did you end up doing the Lotka Volterra Equations? I am considering doing the same thing and so am curious how it went for you

ReputationRep:
    can u pls send your IA to me?

ReputationRep:

Hey I really need some help for the math IA, and I think you have a superb idea. Would you email me your IA or give me some guidance in it please? Either one would be greatly appreciated

ReputationRep:
    Hello, i was wondering if you are able to send me a softcopy of your math ia on the finding length of a curved road?

ReputationRep:

Hi, I was reading through this forum and I am doing an IA very similar to this topic, I would greatly appreciate it if you can post a copy of your IA for reference.

ReputationRep:
    I got 20/20 on mine. It was about how to calculate the length of a road. It turned out to be an application of polynomial regression and arc length.
    To score highly, find a problem and find the most mathematical way to solve a problem. Connecting concepts from different topics is also appreciated.
    Hello, I'm thinking to calculate the length of a curved road too. Can I talk to you over facebook, please?

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: February 9, 2017
TSR Support Team
Today on TSR
Poll
American or British/European: what type of pancakes do you like?
Applying to university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.