Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Masters in Comparative Literature: Glasgow or Nottingham? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone.
    I'm an Italian graduate and I just found out that I won two scholarships: one for a Mlitt in Comp Lit at the University of Glasgow, and the other one for a MA in the same field at the University of Nottingham. Now: I lived and worked in Glasgow for a few months this year and I am literally in love with this city, because of the lifestyle, the club scene, etc... but I don't want my choice to be entertainment-related only. You know what I mean, even if I write bad English

Does anyone have any experience in these two universities? I need an opinion from an 'academic' point of view. Thx!

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I did my undergrad in Comp Lit (though in the States, mind, so I don't have a perfect read on this) and I feel like I've heard positive mention of Glasgow from my instructors previously, though I can't remember anything concrete. It probably depends on what kind of Comp Lit you're doing, too. National literature focus? Historical? Theory and crit?

ReputationRep:
    Hi! Thank you for your answer.

The focus would be like critical theory with specific reference to women's studies and psychoanalysis (Freud, Lacan, Mitchell)

ReputationRep:
    Glasgow.

A good Uni for all Arts subjects and a great place to live for a year as a student.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by returnmigrant)
    Glasgow.

A good Uni for all Arts subjects and a great place to live for a year as a student.
    That sounds convincing
    Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    I did undergrad comp lit at Glasgow, my experience with the department was great. Staff are very approachable and there's an interesting selection of optional courses, at least at undergrad, especially good for Slavonic / Eastern European literatures, not a lot of non-European texts / literature though. I think a number of people in the department do work on psychoanalysis.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.