Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

World Cup 2014 Player of the Tournament? Watch

• View Poll Results: Who's been the best player at the 2014 World Cup?
    Di Maria
    2.94%
    Hummels
    0%
    Kroos
    2.94%
    Lahm
    0%
    Mascherano
    0%
    Messi
    11.76%
    Muller
    32.35%
    Neymar
    5.88%
    Robben
    5.88%
    Rodriguez
    38.24%

ReputationRep:

The official list of 10 nominees for the player of the tournament have been named ( Via https://twitter.com/brazuca ). Here they are in no particular order. Vote on the poll for who you think should win POTT

1) Di Maria
    2) Hummels
    3) Kroos
    4) Lahm
    5) Mascherano
    6) Messi
    7) Muller
    8) Neymar
    9) Robben
    10) Rodriguez

Any glaring omissions? Who do you think should get it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DH1')

The official list of 10 nominees for the player of the tournament have been named ( Via https://twitter.com/brazuca ). Here they are in no particular order. Vote on the poll for who you think should win POTT

1) Di Maria
    2) Hummels
    3) Kroos
    4) Lahm
    5) Mascherano
    6) Messi
    7) Muller
    8) Neymar
    9) Robben
    10) Rodriguez

Any glaring omissions? Who do you think should get it?
    NEYMAR JUNIOR.

all day, every day.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    After his stunning match-winning performance in the final to help Argentina lift the trophy, few will argue with Di Maria winning it.

ReputationRep:
    What is Di Maria doing on that list, I agree with the rest, but Di Maria has been poor all tournament, I mean how many times did he give away the ball against Belgium, what was it, 51 or something?

ReputationRep:
    Muller is ahead at the moment, with a stunning performance from Messi in the final being the only thing that can stop him.

Rogriguez was hugely enjoyable to watch but they didn't have particularly tough games. No team has been great as far as I'm concerned, but Muller rarely fails to disappoint. The guy looks like he should be terrible at football but I bloody love watching him play.

I feel sorry for Neymar as he was quite exceptional in what is a very ordinary team. Robben has 'that' horrible side to his game which puts him out of contention for me.

I think Neuer should have made the list, but then you could make a case for Navas, too. I think goalkeepers will now accept that these awards aren't created for them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olie)
    What is Di Maria doing on that list, I agree with the rest, but Di Maria has been poor all tournament, I mean how many times did he give away the ball against Belgium, what was it, 51 or something?
    I agree. Maybe a reputation thing. Can't think why else he's there, been injured too. Would've put Neuer in myself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missfats)
    NEYMAR JUNIOR.

all day, every day.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Neymar!

ReputationRep:
    This list is absolutely bizarre:

Have no idea how Kroos is nominated, he's literally had 2 good games.

Di Maria even less

Lahm was poor at CM and just good at RB again for 2 games, how is he nominated?

Messi nominated for about 1 minute of combined action, but it's Messi so everyone will just ignore his averageness otherwise wont they?

Has to be James or Muller.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)

Di Maria even less

Messi nominated for about 1 minute of combined action, but it's Messi so everyone will just ignore his averageness otherwise wont they?

Or Hummels, he's been the best defender at the tournament.

Muller was pretty average against Algeria, France and USA, James was outstanding in all of his games bar Brazil when he was hacked down.

Messi and Mascherano have been the best Argentina players but the whole team has been pretty scrappy. Di Maria has probably been the worst player of the tournament.

ReputationRep:
    No idea why Di Maria is on the list...

Has to be Muller.

Schurlle has been good as well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)

Di Maria even less

Solid post.

But to be fair, that one minute of combined action for Messi has been pretty important for Argentina's success.

Like you say, this is James vs Muller.

Edit: Neuer has been amazing, I would add him to the list. But it's hard to compare the performances of a goalkeeper and striker.

ReputationRep:
    Also, Di Maria has gone from being one of the most underrated players to one of the most overrated players in a space of six months.

People are acting as if Di Maria deserves a shot at the Ballon d'Or. It's insane.

ReputationRep:
    I understand that attacking players are usually nominated, but their should have been a couple keepers on the list. Neuer, Navas and Ochoa have all played very well. Especially Neuer after his performance against Algeria, I think.

I assume the official winner will depend on who wins the final. Robben for me has been great. His diving is frustrating to watch, but he's been consistently good throughout.

ReputationRep:
    James Rodriguez, scored in every one of his matches.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NathanW18)
    I understand that attacking players are usually nominated, but their should have been a couple keepers on the list. Neuer, Navas and Ochoa have all played very well. Especially Neuer after his performance against Algeria, I think.

I assume the official winner will depend on who wins the final. Robben for me has been great. His diving is frustrating to watch, but he's been consistently good throughout.
    Looks like it's decided before the final:

"The Golden Ball is given to the best player just before the final match and is chosen by media representatives and the FIFA technical board."

Edit: Reading mixed messages. Some places saying it's announced at half time in the final. Either way, i reckon voting has finished now. Hope James wins it, but him not making the semis could probably cost him

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DH1')
    Looks like it's decided before the final:

"The Golden Ball is given to the best player just before the final match and is chosen by media representatives and the FIFA technical board."

Edit: Reading mixed messages. Some places saying it's announced at half time in the final. Either way, i reckon voting has finished now. Hope James wins it, but him not making the semis could probably cost him
    I see. I still expect someone playing in the final to win it. If it's announced before the match, a German player probably has the best chance. Mainly because they destroyed Brazil.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    It'll be Neymar, let's be honest. Whether it should be him or not is another matter.

ReputationRep:
    Get Di Maria off that list and Kroos as well.

Replace with Hummels and Neuer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malevolent)
    Get Di Maria off that list and Kroos as well.

Replace with Hummels and Neuer.
    It's Fifa's list. Hummels is already on it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DH1')
    It's Fifa's list. Hummels is already on it
    Doh missed out that he was already there!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: July 12, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.