Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Please don't go off topic of a thread. Please. Watch

ReputationRep:
    Whenever I make a thread, the first few page is indeed relevant to my OP, but as soon as you move to page 5 or more. You would see people going off topic, and worst arguing about stuffs thats totally not relevant to an OP. If you guys have any problems between parties, please communicate with PM or visitor message, just don't post things that doesn't contribute to the overall discussion of the OP. Additional ideas are great, but I don't want to see a page of post thats way off topic from the title of a thread. Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    how about no

Why should we listen to you, what are your credentials? :hmmm:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Maid Marian)
      What is with you foxes

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Maid Marian)
      It's entirely okay that you don't listen to me, but for the sake of a good conversation of TSR. You should.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Wilsoncw1997)
      Whenever I make a thread, the first few page is indeed relevant to my OP, but as soon as you move to page 5 or more. You would see people going off topic, and worst arguing about stuffs thats totally not relevant to an OP. If you guys have any problems between parties, please communicate with PM or visitor message, just don't post things that doesn't contribute to the overall discussion of the OP. Additional ideas are great, but I don't want to see a page of post thats way off topic from the title of a thread. Thank you.
      You didn't even explain the topic in your thread so what can we talk about:cool:

(Original post by RedArrow)
        What is with you foxes
        Don't you like them? :console:

ReputationRep:
        It's entirely okay that you don't listen to me, but for the sake of a good conversation of TSR. You should.
        Surely a good conversation should flow naturally? Especially at the 5th page as you say - there are only so many different views on a topic.

ReputationRep:
        Anyone watching the world cup final this Sunday?

ReputationRep:
        What's that in the top right-hand corner of every post? A report post flag?? Gosh, if only you could use that to report posts when they started to go off-topic...

That way, mods could just simply delete the messages and keep your thread clean

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by wilsoncw1997)
        a good conversation on tsr.
        Seems legit

Spoiler:
        Show

just kidding mods

don't ban me please

ReputationRep:
        Nah, I'm not doing anything tonight, what about you?

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by gman10)
        Anyone watching the world cup final this Sunday?
        I am :woo:

Go Germany :yay:
        • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
        Aren't you that guy who says
        "anal?"
        To like every thread?
        • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by PythianLegume)
        Surely a good conversation should flow naturally? Especially at the 5th page as you say - there are only so many different views on a topic.
        Exactly. Most, if not all, topics that I have seen on TSR have been pretty much on topic of the title, even on (say) the 5th page. Sure, discussions my deviate a little bit, but as long as it is somehow related to the OP then it doesn't matter.

The only time there are problems is if people go deliberately off topic, and I mean to something completely irrelevant to the OP.

The only time it doesn't matter is in Chatter - as it is self explanatory that the Chatter forum will contain a bit of nonsense chatter!

If you point me to the relevant, off topic, thread, I'll take a look. Except if it's in Chatter, in which case it doesn't really matter anyway.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by lilypear)
        "anal?"
        To like every thread?
        It contribute, and its not a whole page of argument.
        • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by lilypear)
        "anal?"
        To like every thread?
        Well, if that is true, it's certainly "off topic" - which is in effect, the complete opposite to the OP!

ReputationRep:
        Even in real life the topic will change after some time.
        • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
        It contribute, and its not a whole page of argument.
        (Original post by spotify95)
        Well, if that is true, it's certainly "off topic" - which is in effect, the complete opposite to the OP!
        u got pwned brudda
        • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by kkboyk)
        Even in real life the topic will change after some time.
        Hence, I said it's got to relate somehow to the topic. Even if it's not exactly the original topic, as long as it's related, it's fine. :cool:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      What newspaper do you read/prefer?
      Useful resources
      AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.