Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Dealing with me and family being trapped in a nasty work environment Watch

I am writing this thread I guess for some sort of practical advice to the situation me and my family find ourselves in. I'll keep it as simple as possible but will need to give some background information to start.

Basically me and my family (mother and sibling) work at a medium sized hotel/guest house and actually within the grounds of the guest house (there are loads of acres of land which the company owns as it was founded as a charitable trust), with an element of commerciality to it.

My mother gets rent taken out of her pay packet, and because we live in a house on the property owned by the company we have certain responsibilities, like looking after welfare of company and the guests in the absence of other mangers.

It is rather annoying because they phone house a lot (as the telephone system is hooked up to our landline), and pester my mum who is a manager in the catering dept, they also ring me when they are short staffed seen as I'm a stone throw way from work. Me and the family are sick of it because we feel like modern day slaves.

My mum decided to moved here because the house comes with the job, we were experiencing a lot of financial difficulties ( debts) and so it was hard for us to relocate from our previous place. At the time it seemed good.

But now, we are sick of it, the environment is horrible, people ***** about each other, everyone is disheveled and out to one over each other.

The previous boss was a nice guy who got pushed out by the now current manager, she is a middle aged woman that ganged up on him with another female colleague, together they got rid of him ,he had a breakdown. Once she got his job she then managed to get rid of the female colleague....since she took over 3/4 years ago she had pushed out loads of people, either by screwing them over (by some default) or controlling behaviour.

She is like a female modern day hitler. She wants to know everything, lurks around doors, controls people, sucks up to company directors, lies and withholds things from them, whilst maintaining her own little group of cronies that report stuff to her, and twist things.

It's almost like she uses her control and malign influence to push people out. She once remarked rather sarcastically to a few of us "....give them enough rope and they hang themselves". This really sums her up. I don't particularly like her and nor does my mum.

She is bad news....she greased her way past people to get to the top and since has selfishly used horrible means to get rid of people, but has somehow done it in a way that allows her to get away with it. Using the books to her advantage essentially.

She even threatened to up our rent payments in the past because she felt like it, and went to the directors and more or less got them on our backs (since they see no evil in her), and got a select bunch of colleagues to harass my mum. She had to sign herself off and get representation and a medical note because they were bullying her at work.

I understand that we are liable and under the thumb to this company but I feel half of the things she has done are completely cruel and unfair and actually unjustified, but people are to afraid to lose their jobs, and she seems to get along well with directors and has friends in high places. Every complaint or person that has gone against her has fallen.

There was even a rumour she had a thing with the chairman, but this is disproved.

A friend of mine was forced into early retirement because the company didn't want to pay out his wages, and apparently the company used some law to get rid of him (I hate it how they seem to think this sort of conduct is okay).

Also the company employed loads of external companies to come in and check the books (whereas before it was internal), they have an employment agency to come in and do all their legal bidding/recruitment, that have used improper means to employ some people. It's ridiculous really because all of the people contracted in are all friends with or connected to her.

My mum is depressed and we want to get out of here, but we can barely afford to just go. We will lose our home....my mum needs to find a job and a house, but with her debts it will be hard. Also she has no pension and is in her fifties and so she isn't exactly the most employable. My mum also fears the boss will make it equally as hard for us to leave, give her a bad ref or refuse one.

What can we do?

TLR

My family and I live in property owned by the workplace (hotel)
    The boss is a control freak like hitler, pushed out the previous boss, and loads of others.
    Is vindictive, manipulative and threatened to put our rent up because she felt like it.
    She is well in there with directors of the company and all complaints fall on deaf ears.
    My mum gets harassed by her and a group of staff whom seem to be her cronies.
    They even refused to patch phone calls through to us if my mum wasn't at the hotel. Essentially cutting off our phone calls...also asking who it was (when it's our business and private).
    We want to move but can't afford too due to debt worries and the fact we need to find a new home. She will make it harder for my mum aswell.

ReputationRep:
    Im sorry about your situation. Is there anyway you guys can move, and find a job elsewhere?
    Also why not complain? I know you said they fall on deaf ears, but if you write letters to the right people e.g. MP`s or the Mayor, maybe some action can be done. Or start a petition, any other staff can support you as well as family/friends and hopefully that can help
    Hope it goes well for you and your family

ReputationRep:
    An obvious sociopath. These sorts of people should be strung up by the thousand: they are holding back the progress of man.

(Original post by Mav455)
    Im sorry about your situation. Is there anyway you guys can move, and find a job elsewhere?
    Also why not complain? I know you said they fall on deaf ears, but if you write letters to the right people e.g. MP`s or the Mayor, maybe some action can be done. Or start a petition, any other staff can support you as well as family/friends and hopefully that can help
    Hope it goes well for you and your family
    That is an option though, what's to say MP's and the like will take is seriously. I mean, I am willing to bet the directors have connections with such people. Unless I actually have friends in high places it's going to be an issue. She really is evil and vindictive, however, people seem to like her at the same time....it's like she holds all the power/cards.

Also far too many staff are scared to make a stand...

(Original post by Moosferatu)
    An obvious sociopath. These sorts of people should be strung up by the thousand: they are holding back the progress of man.
    Indeed yes she is the true definition of one, in fact there are about three at least that fit the overall bill of 'Sociopath', unfortunately the other two are well connected to management.

I actually know one thing that would blow the whole thing wide open, but I daren't mention it incase it backfires on me and she spins some lie or twists it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Indeed yes she is the true definition of one, in fact there are about three at least that fit the overall bill of 'Sociopath', unfortunately the other two are well connected to management.

I actually know one thing that would blow the whole thing wide open, but I daren't mention it incase it backfires on me and she spins some lie or twists it.
    This might help http://www.kickbully.com/identify.html

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 12, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.