Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Don't know what to name this thread or what forum to post it in really...

I was thinking about how after WWI germany was only allowed a professional army, not a conscript one and I had an idea: what about the other way around? If no countries were allowed standing professional armies, then they would be way less willing to go to war. Also, because conscription is random(ish), people would be more opposed to warfare because they had an equal chance of dying. I'm not sure this is possible, but I think it's a reasonably nice idea? What do you guys think?

ReputationRep:
    It's an interesting idea.

Part of me believes that standing armies have become somewhat outdated, and are becoming more and more so.

It's interesting as well, when you frame this in the context of the debate about autonomous robots used in war, and whether this is acceptable.

But I think a conscription based system might indeed be better. In a defensive war, the people will most likely want to take up arms to protect their country, but would be unwilling to do so in an agressive war. Thus, forcing a government to force people to join the army in aggressive war through conscription is much more likely to make them accountable to the wishes of the people.

ReputationRep:
    I am not at alll sure that theresould be sufficient numbers coming forward in the age range required to defend us anyway.
    There was a thread on a similar subject a while ago and it was quite shocking how many said that they wouldnt go under any circumstances. They owed the country nothing seemed to be the general consensus.
    Having said that Im sure the numbers would more than be made up by all the gender feminists queuing up to put themselves on the front line.😆

ReputationRep:
    No because it be hard to get other countries all to agree with this. Conscripted armies are a bad idea because you have too many people who completely hate having to be in the army because of conscription. It would never work having every country only be allowed a non professional army.

A conscripted army sucks. I see it all the time.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't go if they tried to conscript me.

ReputationRep:
    An army made up entirely of conscripts would suck.

ReputationRep:
    It's a great idea if you like the idea of large numbers of people dying.
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    A professional army ensures that you can maintain sufficient strength and infrastructure to deal with any attacks against you, which you simply couldn't do without a standing army. If someone invades after 30 years of absolute peace, you will have no hope in hell of getting your conscripts, howver willing, trained and battle-ready in time to stop the invaders.
    I think most Western countries are already at the point where attempts to mass-conscript people would fail, because we realise that actually, we don't have to fight just because our government decides it wants us to. Conscripted only armies would lack discipline, training, any desire to be there, and any country without a professional standing army would be an easy target for aspirational countries!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skip_Snip)
    I wouldn't go if they tried to conscript me.
    This is potentially why it would be a good thing. If a government started a war that the people disagreed with, they would have a much harder time committing to that war, as they not only would have to deal with protests and the like, but of protests in the form of refusing conscription.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Farm_Ecology)
    This is potentially why it would be a good thing. If a government started a war that the people disagreed with, they would have a much harder time committing to that war, as they not only would have to deal with protests and the like, but of protests in the form of refusing conscription.
    Let's say you've got no standing Army. Let's say some genocidal faction starts ethnic cleansing in some part of Europe. We then put out a call for volunteers to gauge how popular the war is.

Scenario 1: no one (or very few people volunteer). So it's tough luck to the people who are being exterminated. Regardless of how just their cause, if no-one wants to help, they'll just have to suffer and die.

Scenario 2: People volunteer. They should be trained and ready to go in say.....18 months minimum. By which time it will be too late.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clip)
    Let's say you've got no standing Army. Let's say some genocidal faction starts ethnic cleansing in some part of Europe. We then put out a call for volunteers to gauge how popular the war is.

Scenario 1: no one (or very few people volunteer). So it's tough luck to the people who are being exterminated. Regardless of how just their cause, if no-one wants to help, they'll just have to suffer and die.

Scenario 2: People volunteer. They should be trained and ready to go in say.....18 months minimum. By which time it will be too late.
    Which is a potential problem. However, should the government be forcing the people into a war which they do not want to be a part of?

As for training, national service could help avoid some of that.

That said, should we really be basing policy on the off-chance that genocidal factions start cleansing?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 12, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.