Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Basically this lady owns a Chinese restaurant/take way and one of my friends who is a girl has a job there as a receptionist. My friend told me she can't do 7 days a week anymore so I should cover for her and do 4 of the days so I can get a job too. When I got there the main lady told me that I couldn't do the job as I'm boy they only take in girls, isn't this sex discrimination???

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Uh, depends on what her reasons are.

ReputationRep:
    Issue legal proceedings.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Old_Simon)
    Issue legal proceedings.
    Not quite that simple. The OP has to prove there's discrimination first.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Did they give reasons?

ReputationRep:
    She said "the main guy doesn't like it when boys are there" I was offended but in the heat of the moment didn't know what to do my friend was there too & she thought that it was sex discrimination too

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OU Student)
    Not quite that simple. The OP has to prove there's discrimination first.
    No he doesn't. He will only need to prove his allegation at trial.

ReputationRep:
    Like my friend was training me and she comes out of nowhere and was like we can't take in boys the main guy doesn't like it when boys work at the reception, I turn 18 in a week or two

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slim Shady 96)
    Like my friend was training me and she comes out of nowhere and was like we can't take in boys the main guy doesn't like it when boys work at the reception, I turn 18 in a week or two
    I don't think you can help something like that.

ReputationRep:
    My friend was there so she could prove it??

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It's only discrimination if it goes the other way. Thought we'd cleared that up by now.

ReputationRep:
    ****THIS IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE*****

Person C can't present to the ET if the Chinese Takeway owner has not actually advertised a vacancy. In this case, there may not be a job opening per se, only C's friend telling C that she can't do all her hours. CTO hasn't actually advertised a job and said - "by the way, no blokes".

C can't suffer a suffer a detriment or be discriminated against in terms of who is offered employment (as at s.39 EqA 2010) if there is no job there yet.

If the circumstances are in fact different - then maybe C can present - but best case scenario C gets a job with an employer who hates him.

C hasn't been turned down for a promotion at a Merchant Bank. This isn't one of those cases where C is remotely likely to get a significant compensatory award.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.