Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Turbo Charged Direct Injection Watch

ReputationRep:
    I see VAG cars with the infamous "don't mess" TDi badge. But is this fundamentally the same as a ford TDCI, Citroen HDI and Honda iCDTI / iDTEC ?

ReputationRep:
    Tdi usually stands for turbo direct injection or turbo diesel injection in other words any car with the tdi badge is a diesel

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    And not necessarily because not all the others you mentioned are turbo charged

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Almost every diesel engine out there is a turbo direct injection.

Interestingly enough VW isn't even the pioneer for turbo-charged direct injection engines in cars, the pioneers for it are Rover and Fiat which had it in the mid 80s where VW only had it in the 90s.

The system developed by Fiat and Rover (through Perkins) were in many ways superior to that of the VW ones as VW TDIs are extremely sensitive to sulphur where the other 2 weren't.

Modern diesels now use common rail technology and are direct injections with a high pressure pump.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alfissti)
    Almost every diesel engine out there is a turbo direct injection.

Interestingly enough VW isn't even the pioneer for turbo-charged direct injection engines in cars, the pioneers for it are Rover and Fiat which had it in the mid 80s where VW only had it in the 90s.

The system developed by Fiat and Rover (through Perkins) were in many ways superior to that of the VW ones as VW TDIs are extremely sensitive to sulphur where the other 2 weren't.

Modern diesels now use common rail technology and are direct injections with a high pressure pump.
    So modern BMW diesels are all common rail just like my honda accord?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bumalone)
    So modern BMW diesels are all common rail just like my honda accord?
    CR for quite a few years now. Since the E46 facelift if I'm not wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alfissti)
    CR for quite a few years now. Since the E46 facelift if I'm not wrong.
    Thanks.

Some of my friends were mocking me for having a "common rail" when they have TDIs

ReputationRep:
    Get a petrol engined car..less hassle..

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.