Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys,

Currently interning in the above team in London. I was really motivated and enthusiastic but currently I feel very uninspired and ****ty. I'm currently working on around two deals related to debt raising and another around debt refinancing/restructuring.

The work itself is very interesting and I'm enjoying it, but their is only so much I can do. I don't feel as though I'm being pushed/challenged as well as not being fast-paced enough. Hours are usually around 8.30/9-5.30-6. I take the full hour for my lunch also. Everyone seems quite chilled/laxed - content with there £40-60k base as Junior/Senior Manager and a couple of K bonus.

I'm looking for something more, something more juicer/challenging..

Hoping I can spin this into a graduate job at a BB or mid-market bank of some sort where I can be pushed more. I would rather prefer a more traditional culture as well. I feel overdressed compared to a lot of people in the office tbh. Plus the intern pay doesn't even cover my accom in central London ..

ReputationRep:
    Work out how to copy and paste or post a comment in a forum ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Old_Simon)
    Work out how to copy and paste or post a comment in a forum ?
    Sorry, I edited the post.

ReputationRep:
    And your question was ? Or are you just boasting ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paisawala)
    Sorry, I edited the post.
    I would also edit out the name of the firm/ and the team.

Best thing you can do is to try and get as much out of it as possible when your actually working to learn as much as possible and get involved in as many things as you can and use your spare time as a result of the decent work life balance to plan your next move.

ReputationRep:
    Can you not go to someone more senior and say exactly what you've just said here and ask for more work?

More deals = more experience = more likely to get into an IB.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys,

Currently interning in the above team in London. I was really motivated and enthusiastic but currently I feel very uninspired and ****ty. I'm currently working on around two deals related to debt raising and another around debt refinancing/restructuring.

The work itself is very interesting and I'm enjoying it, but their is only so much I can do. I don't feel as though I'm being pushed/challenged as well as not being fast-paced enough. Hours are usually around 8.30/9-5.30-6. I take the full hour for my lunch also. Everyone seems quite chilled/laxed - content with there £40-60k base as Junior/Senior Manager and a couple of K bonus.

Hoping I can spin this into a graduate job at a BB or mid-market bank of some sort where I can be pushed more. I would rather prefer a more traditional culture as well. I feel overdressed compared to a lot of people in the office tbh. Plus the intern pay doesn't even cover my accom in central London ..
    You cant wait to be pushed, this aint primary school. You need to be proactive. Make processes more efficient, ask if anyone needs help, make the team aware of exactly what tasks youre doing, try and gain more responsibility...
    They are prob looking at you and thinking youre prob not ready
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    If you push what you can do and do more than what is expected for you then who knows what will happen?
    I finished the work I was allocated for 4 months within 3 weeks in my internship for an oilfield services company and am currently in the process of getting a patent filed on it with myself as primary inventor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrincePauper)
    You cant wait to be pushed, this aint primary school. You need to be proactive. Make processes more efficient, ask if anyone needs help, make the team aware of exactly what tasks youre doing, try and gain more responsibility...
    They are prob looking at you and thinking youre prob not ready
    I am proactive - I always ask around, do the most smallest tasks..updated databooks etc in half the time required..but the general vibe is just very relaxed and easy-going tbh..I've attended client meetings/calls etc..put some of my own ideas forward etc

ReputationRep:
    I am proactive - I always ask around, do the most smallest tasks..updated databooks etc in half the time required..but the general vibe is just very relaxed and easy-going tbh..I've attended client meetings/calls etc..put some of my own ideas forward etc
    It sounds like you're doing really well. Keep on working hard and doing the best you can so you get positive feedback and get offered a place on a graduate scheme.

See if there are opportunities within this graduate scheme to rotate to other departments, and try and get somewhere with a workload/atmosphere that you prefer.

If you are successful with applying to other companies as well then you can always turn down the offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ttoby)
    It sounds like you're doing really well. Keep on working hard and doing the best you can so you get positive feedback and get offered a place on a graduate scheme.

See if there are opportunities within this graduate scheme to rotate to other departments, and try and get somewhere with a workload/atmosphere that you prefer.

If you are successful with applying to other companies as well then you can always turn down the offer.
    Thanks, I'm going to hopefully try plan things out next week, I just feel as though I need more of a challenge. My ideal working day would be more like 8.30/9-6.30-7.15 - I guess I would have to take a look at MM IB for that as BB IB is still ridiculous hours and the exposure to clients/senior people is very bleak.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, I'm going to hopefully try plan things out next week, I just feel as though I need more of a challenge. My ideal working day would be more like 8.30/9-6.30-7.15 - I guess I would have to take a look at MM IB for that as BB IB is still ridiculous hours and the exposure to clients/senior people is very bleak.
    Unfortunately MM IB would not expose you to the hours that you desire, it would be (much) more.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys,

One thing interns need to realise is that often enough you're more work then your worth to the managers around you. You have zero experience and there's only so much time anyone is going to want to put in to teaching you when you're gone again a month down the line. So in short - often it's more trouble finding work for you to do then it is useful to have you doing it.

With that in mind - enjoy the chilled hours and worry about being stretched after you graduate IMO. The fact is while I appreciate you're trying to be keen, you'll soon realise there's more to life than being in the office 24/7!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 13, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.