The Student Room Group

How can I down play my degree on my CV?

I'm applying for administration and secretary jobs (this was the kind of work I was doing prior to doing my degree and I have relevant qualifications), however I've heard that I might face some difficulty getting this kind of work as I now maybe seen as being over qualified. What is the best way to down play this on my CV? I got a 2:1, would pretending I got a lower grade or leaving the result off all together be an option?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gemmam
I'm applying for administration and secretary jobs (this was the kind of work I was doing prior to doing my degree and I have relevant qualifications), however I've heard that I might face some difficulty getting this kind of work as I now maybe seen as being over qualified. What is the best way to down play this on my CV? I got a 2:1, would pretending I got a lower grade or leaving the result off all together be an option?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I doubt your degree would be a negative if you have relevant experience and you certainly should not lie about your result. You could put your education section after your experience if you can hit the reader with a really good dose of relevant experience straight away. Or, you could say 'Relevant qualifications' and put them up front and just mention the secretarial qualifications.
Reply 2
Original post by threeportdrift
I doubt your degree would be a negative if you have relevant experience and you certainly should not lie about your result. You could put your education section after your experience if you can hit the reader with a really good dose of relevant experience straight away. Or, you could say 'Relevant qualifications' and put them up front and just mention the secretarial qualifications.

I haven't done any admin related work for three years now so I can't really do that. I did consider maybe leaving the degree off all together but then I'll have quite a big gap, I have done some volunteering during this time but nothing related to the kind of jobs I'll be applying for.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gemmam
I haven't done any admin related work for three years now so I can't really do that. I did consider maybe leaving the degree off all together but then I'll have quite a big gap, I have done some volunteering during this time but nothing related to the kind of jobs I'll be applying for.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why does it matter that its been 3 years since you did admin work? If you are applying for similar admin roles then this needs to be up front and central to your CV because it's what's going to get you the job.
I have a degree and I don't even put it on my CV anyway, as all I'm good for is shelf filling work.
Reply 5
Original post by threeportdrift
Why does it matter that its been 3 years since you did admin work? If you are applying for similar admin roles then this needs to be up front and central to your CV because it's what's going to get you the job.

Because its not recent. Application forms are trickier; how could I explain I'm applying for that role because I regret doing my degree and don't wish to use it?
Original post by gemmam
Because its not recent. Application forms are trickier; how could I explain I'm applying for that role because I regret doing my degree and don't wish to use it?

It's the most recent work you've got, if I understand your situation correctly, and it's relevant. It needs to form the core of your CV.

You don't explain anything about your degree. A job application should never refer to anything in the negative. You simple say that your previous professional experience was immensely satisfying and you want to build a career in this area.
Reply 7
What "over-qualified" actually means is that there is a fear that you will take job x but would be willing to drop it at any second for job y.

I don't think you need to downplay your degree on your CV, but it would help if you made it very clear in any application or covering letter that the job you are applying for is the job you want, and it's not a stop gap, and you should be able to articulate or defend that if needs be; and not just with meaningless generalities.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending