Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Old school players you think would have prospered in modern football Watch

ReputationRep:
    Preferably, players from as long ago as possible. For me, it has to be Johan Cruyff. I have watched many highlights , his impeccable technique and build would have stood him in very good stead for the modern game. Give him modern day athletic training and he would be an amazing player in the modern day game. Imo, he looks like he would almost be like a hybrid of Messi and Ronaldo, but that is just my own view.

ReputationRep:
    Like you say, they'd need modern day training, diet etc but George Best and Garrincha for sure. Bestie is in my top 3 naturally gifted footballers.

ReputationRep:
    Charlton, Moore and Matthews. Would walk into any current team in the world.

ReputationRep:
    William Foulke would have a massive impact.

ReputationRep:
    There are countless old school players who would have absolutely dominated football if they were playing now. The current state of football is extremely bad, as I've said a thousand times. The ONLY quality that the modern top players possess is a super high level of fitness, something which is lacking in some old school footballers. Back then, fitness wasn't as fast paced as it is now. Having said that, lets just take an example of a player, Cristiano Ronaldo. Quick with with the ball and physically fit, unfortunately he's terrible at football because HE CAN'T KICK A BALL!!!! I've been watching him play ever since his very first game at Man Utd, in all these years the guy STILL hasn't learned how to kick a ball properly! He has the WORST shooting technique I have EVER seen in a football player, takes really awful freekicks, doesn't aim his shots at all, just tries to hit them hard.

Players nowadays are really rubbish, football is boring full of rubbish players and rubbish teams sadly. Any number of old school players would have excelled in the modern game. All we have now is rubbish players and a boring sport. There are no legends any more, just weak trash players year after year. Football is truly dead and has been dead for over a decade now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stinkum)
    There are countless old school players who would have absolutely dominated football if they were playing now. The current state of football is extremely bad, as I've said a thousand times. The ONLY quality that the modern top players possess is a super high level of fitness, something which is lacking in some old school footballers. Back then, fitness wasn't as fast paced as it is now. Having said that, lets just take an example of a player, Cristiano Ronaldo. Quick with with the ball and physically fit, unfortunately he's terrible at football because HE CAN'T KICK A BALL!!!! I've been watching him play ever since his very first game at Man Utd, in all these years the guy STILL hasn't learned how to kick a ball properly! He has the WORST shooting technique I have EVER seen in a football player, takes really awful freekicks, doesn't aim his shots at all, just tries to hit them hard.

Players nowadays are really rubbish, football is boring full of rubbish players and rubbish teams sadly. Any number of old school players would have excelled in the modern game. All we have now is rubbish players and a boring sport. There are no legends any more, just weak trash players year after year. Football is truly dead and has been dead for over a decade now.
    not sure i agree with that last statement, a decade ago, zidane, figo, henry, bergkamp, rivaldo, ronaldo, ronaldinho were in their primes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_shabba)
    not sure i agree with that last statement, a decade ago, zidane, figo, henry, bergkamp, rivaldo, ronaldo, ronaldinho were in their primes
    OH MY GOD...the nostalgia...the damn nostalgia. My God...Zidane, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho all in the same sentence...ahhh...reminds me of a great time, football truly was a great sport back then. Arsenal's undefeated season in the premiership was a praticularly memorable highlight, I used to love that arsenal squad. Henry, bergkamp, ljungberg, pires...ahh, the good old days. And back when the brazil squad had players like rivaldo, cafu, ronaldo, ronaldinho...reminds me that at one stage, football was absolutely amazing full of legends. I suppose you can't expect good things to last forever, that's just the way it is. Everything has a shelf life.

ReputationRep:

Hmm... you're definitely looking at this through a nostalgia-tinted glasses. If the current state of football was in such shambles then I'm sure Pele or Maradona would have noticed it - and Maradona definitely would've mentioned it as he's not the type to hold back. Also what you said about Ronaldo is bordering on trolling level.

Personally I think most old footballers would've shone as much as they did back then if not a tiny bit more because hacking out strikers is spotted more/punished more by refs and many pitches back then were awful - e.g. the pitch where Maradona scored his double against England was made of tiles of grass which moved and slid when you stepped on them. Their only disadvantage would be (like Stinkum said) is their genrally poor health due their not being a focus on working out, a healthy diet and many drank frequently - the Liverpool team of old turned up to quite a few matches with hangovers and still won.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Kevin Pressman:

ReputationRep:

This is boring now, get some new trolling material.

ReputationRep:
    Ronaldo terrible at football? Yeah good troll

George Best for sure would be extremely good in today's football

ReputationRep:
    Glenn Hoddle and Des Walker.

ReputationRep:
    Eusébio

ReputationRep:
    Duncan Edwards and Gary Lineker.

ReputationRep:
    Garrincha, Eusébio, Beckenbauer...
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I think Kempes would be amazing in La Liga these days.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: July 12, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.