Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How are maths and further maths modules arranged Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I've just done my A levels, two of which were maths and further maths, I was hoping someone would be able to help tell me how they would be arranged and what sort of grades I would get?

AS maths
    C1 -100, C2 -100, C3 -97

AS further maths
    FP1 -94, M1 -100, M2 -93

this year I've done these and my predicted mark
    M3 -80, S1 -90, S2 -90, FP2 -90, FP3 -60, C4 -95

How would the module arrangements work, and if I get these marks would I have done enough to get the A* in further maths? Thanks for any help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathsstudent1996)
    Hi, I've just done my A levels, two of which were maths and further maths, I was hoping someone would be able to help tell me how they would be arranged and what sort of grades I would get?

AS maths
    C1 -100, C2 -100, C3 -97

AS further maths
    FP1 -94, M1 -100, M2 -93

this year I've done these and my predicted mark
    M3 -80, S1 -90, S2 -90, FP2 -90, FP3 -60, C4 -95

How would the module arrangements work, and if I get these marks would I have done enough to get the A* in further maths? Thanks for any help
    C1+C2+C3+C4 = 392
    480 - 392 = 88
    S1+S2 = 180
    These give you the A* in Maths

F1+F2+F3+M1+M2+M3 = 517 which is an A

If I recall correctly the 90% needs to come from your best 3 A2 units so no A*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TenOfThem)
    C1+C2+C3+C4 = 392
    480 - 392 = 88
    S1+S2 = 180
    These give you the A* in Maths

F1+F2+F3+M1+M2+M3 = 517 which is an A

If I recall correctly the 90% needs to come from your best 3 A2 units so no A*
    Ok thanks. So it's not possible to have M1 and S1 put in normal maths and then have fp2 s2 and m2 as my best 3 a2 in further maths?

ReputationRep:
    Ok thanks. So it's not possible to have M1 and S1 put in normal maths and then have fp2 s2 and m2 as my best 3 a2 in further maths?
    hmmmm that is a thought - they usually put the lowest total in Maths - hence my use of S1 and S2

But you are correct

So, yes you could get A*A*

Do you need A*A* for university?

ReputationRep:
    hmmmm that is a thought - they usually put the lowest total in Maths - hence my use of S1 and S2

But you are correct

Unfortunately, yes
    As long as it's possible to move around AS modules though, I think I might just about scrape it

ReputationRep:

But you are correct

I thought they put the highest in Maths to give you the best mark in Maths ?

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately, yes
    As long as it's possible to move around AS modules though, I think I might just about scrape it
    They should look at the grades as you did and put the M1 and S1 together

Are you edexcel

ReputationRep:
    They should look at the grades as you did and put the M1 and S1 together

You can re-arrange them post results but you really need it to be right before then

Are you edexcel
    Yes

ReputationRep:
    Yes
    I am pretty certain that you will be ok

I am trying to find the line I recall that describes their arrangement principles

But I am confident that they

Maximise the grade a A Level first
    They would then consider the possible ways of giving you the A*
    Then choose the one that maximises the FM
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Old_Simon)
    I thought they put the highest in Maths to give you the best mark in Maths ?
    You thought wrong and remember Ten can't read your posts as you are on her ignore list.

ReputationRep:
    I am pretty certain that you will be ok

I am trying to find the line I recall that describes their arrangement principles

But I am confident that they

Maximise the grade a A Level first
    They would then consider the possible ways of giving you the A*
    Then choose the one that maximises the FM
    Awesome, thanks
    atleast I can put my mind at ease now, no one at my school really seems to know how everything gets done, every maths teacher I've spoke to has given me a different answer

ReputationRep:
    Awesome, thanks
    atleast I can put my mind at ease now, no one at my school really seems to know how everything gets done, every maths teacher I've spoke to has given me a different answer

However, under the previous system candidates received the best grade for Mathematics with the
    lowest possible uniform mark total and then the best grade for Further Mathematics from the remaining
    unit results. Under this new system, candidates receive the highest possible uniform mark total for
    Mathematics, while still retaining the best subject grade possible for Further Mathematics. This system
    normally ensures that a candidate’s unit grades in Mathematics are maximised.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct...70810081,d.ZWU

ReputationRep:
    However, under the previous system candidates received the best grade for Mathematics with the
    lowest possible uniform mark total and then the best grade for Further Mathematics from the remaining
    unit results. Under this new system, candidates receive the highest possible uniform mark total for
    Mathematics, while still retaining the best subject grade possible for Further Mathematics. This system
    normally ensures that a candidate’s unit grades in Mathematics are maximised.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct...70810081,d.ZWU
    Great, so if my marks are what I've predicted, they'll make sure I'll get the 2A*s and then consider maximising ums?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    You thought wrong and remember Ten can't read your posts as you are on her ignore list.
    Well she has changed her answer now. This question is not as simple as it seems.

ReputationRep:
    Great, so if my marks are what I've predicted, they'll make sure I'll get the 2A*s and then consider maximising ums?
    Looks like it

Your school has ticked the box to unlock and re-aggregate I hope

ReputationRep:
    Looks like it

Your school has ticked the box to unlock and re-aggregate I hope
    I think they do, I remember last year a friend whose now in uni ended up with a new AS further maths mark with different applied modules he'd done for A2 maths, so I should be ok there

ReputationRep:
    I think they do, I remember last year a friend whose now in uni ended up with a new AS further maths mark with different applied modules he'd done for A2 maths, so I should be ok there
    Good

I expected so as Exams Officers are usually more on the ball than we teachers

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.