Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi! Here is a question I am having trouble with. I only managed to get 6/12 marks. Can someone give me a few pointers on how to get a few more marks? (the mark scheme isn't very helpful for this qs).

This is the case study: Item A
    Planning Ahead
    Debbie and Alex are a couple in their twenties and are looking forward to their future
    together. They are both employed and earn enough to allow them to think about
    buying a car.
    At the moment, Debbie and Alex have less than £500 in savings. Their savings are
    quite small because both Debbie and Alex like to spend their income on eating out,
    entertainment and foreign holidays. Neither of them checks their bank statements
    to see what they are spending their money on and they both regularly run short of
    money towards the end of each month.
    They have now seen a car that they wish to buy that costs £3000. In order to find
    out if they can afford to buy the car, they have decided to draw up a budget.

Qs 1f) (12 marks) Debbie and Alex are now considering which is the best way to buy the car:
     to save up the total amount and pay cash for the car
     to borrow the money from the car dealer and repay the loan in instalments over a
    three year period.
    Which do you think is the best option for them? Give reasons for your
    recommendation.

Thanks guys

ReputationRep:
    I`d say save up as they can save, as well as cut down on their days out and entertainment, without debt or risk. Whereas when borrowing, they dont know whether they`ll be able to give it back and it depends on how much the instalments will be as well as whether they will be able to pay it back. By saving, they are safe, as imagine one of them becomes unemployed or something happens and they must spend more of their income on it.e.g an accident where they`ll have to pay for treatment as well as everything else.

To sum up
    -Its safer, especially in the event of emergencies
    -Less risk
    -Savings are beneficial esp if they suddenly need more money
    All i got for now, hope it helps

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.