Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Help with weight loss and healthy living. Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello!
    I'm 5ft 3 and weigh 11 stone 7
    I'm a size 12 (on a good day/brand of clothing) and a size 14 on a normal/bad day.

In the last 2 years I have gained 2 stone, and this does not please me! I've gained the weight for the simple fact I don't eat the right foods and I don't do enough exercise. I have hyper mobility and find a large amount of exercises very painful and have sprained my ankles 4 times and my hips seize up so I can't walk.

I work 5 days a week as a waitress, long busy shifts where I'm constantly on my feet, I have to take 4 ibuprofen during those days just to get through them. I'm off to university in September and could do with loosing these 2 stone. I know it will take time though, but I'm willing to try!

If people could give me advice on what exercises to do ( no impact like running or jogging or jumping) Also advice on what foods to eat, preferably not too expensive and no salad vegetables except carrots, lettuce and sweetcorn!

I think I'm just overwhelmed by it all and I don't know where to start.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by behindblueglass)
    Hello!
    I'm a size 12 (on a good day/brand of clothing) and a size 14 on a normal/bad day.

In the last 2 years I have gained 2 stone, and this does not please me! I've gained the weight for the simple fact I don't eat the right foods and I don't do enough exercise. I have hyper mobility and find a large amount of exercises very painful and have sprained my ankles 4 times and my hips seize up so I can't walk.

I work 5 days a week as a waitress, long busy shifts where I'm constantly on my feet, I have to take 4 ibuprofen during those days just to get through them. I'm off to university in September and could do with loosing these 2 stone. I know it will take time though, but I'm willing to try!

If people could give me advice on what exercises to do ( no impact like running or jogging or jumping) Also advice on what foods to eat, preferably not too expensive and no salad vegetables except carrots, lettuce and sweetcorn!

http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

Enter things, select fatloss 15%, eat that many calories.

Do cycling for no impact exercise.

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

It sounds like you have a relatively physical job so you should be burning a fair amount of calories each day.

I would start off with completely cutting junk food, or at least restricting it to once a week. So no sweets, chocolates, cakes etc, the easiest way to avoid them will just be to not buy them.

I heard losing weight is something along the lines of 60% diet and 40% exercise, so even with a good diet, you should be slimming down.

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

2 stone is a lot to lose in 2 months, though definitely possible.

First thing is definitely diet. All junk food obviously needs to be cut, and by this I mean pretty much anything processed, not just Maccy D's. Carrots, Lettuce are OK, though there are better vegetable options - Broccoli, Kale, Spinach, Asparagus are all good shouts. Drink tons of water everyday, at least 10 glasses. Calorific deficit is a necessity (though not sufficient) condition to drop fat, so check out IIFYM calculators; input your data and it'll give you the target macronutrients you should hit each day. Stick within 5% of these and your diet will be fine.

Not exactly an expert on hypermobility but unless you've been expressly told not to perform resistance training (even with machines) then you should join a gym and do so, 3x a week. Ramps up metabolism and burns calories. Cycling is my personal favourite low-impact cardio after heavy training, perhaps try HIIT 3x a week after each resistance training session and 1x steady-state long cycle a week. Swimming is also a good option if you can, or use a cross-trainer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ttankzhang)
    2 stone is a lot to lose in 2 months, though definitely possible.

First thing is definitely diet. All junk food obviously needs to be cut, and by this I mean pretty much anything processed, not just Maccy D's. Carrots, Lettuce are OK, though there are better vegetable options - Broccoli, Kale, Spinach, Asparagus are all good shouts. Drink tons of water everyday, at least 10 glasses. Calorific deficit is a necessity (though not sufficient) condition to drop fat, so check out IIFYM calculators; input your data and it'll give you the target macronutrients you should hit each day. Stick within 5% of these and your diet will be fine.

Not exactly an expert on hypermobility but unless you've been expressly told not to perform resistance training (even with machines) then you should join a gym and do so, 3x a week. Ramps up metabolism and burns calories. Cycling is my personal favourite low-impact cardio after heavy training, perhaps try HIIT 3x a week after each resistance training session and 1x steady-state long cycle a week. Swimming is also a good option if you can, or use a cross-trainer.
    I love cycling, the problem I having at the minute is I've got to take like week long breaks from it. The seat keeps bruising all the tops of my legs and butt! I've bought an exercise ball and thought that would help. Although I hate salad vegetables I love most other vegs that are cooked. No gym for me but swimming and cycling if I can sort the bruising out!

ReputationRep:
    I love cycling, the problem I having at the minute is I've got to take like week long breaks from it. The seat keeps bruising all the tops of my legs and butt! I've bought an exercise ball and thought that would help. Although I hate salad vegetables I love most other vegs that are cooked. No gym for me but swimming and cycling if I can sort the bruising out!
    OK, in that case look up some simple bodyweight exercises you can do at home, resistance training is actually much more important in burning fat than cardio. Pushups, squats, pull-ups (if you have a bar), dips, etc. If you like other veg then great! Drop sweetcorn if you eat other stuff.

You could also try just going for walks in the morning before breakfast; you'll be burning off fat since you haven't eaten anything for like 10 hours. 2.5 miles = 250 calories in like half an hour, not bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ttankzhang)
    OK, in that case look up some simple bodyweight exercises you can do at home, resistance training is actually much more important in burning fat than cardio. Pushups, squats, pull-ups (if you have a bar), dips, etc. If you like other veg then great! Drop sweetcorn if you eat other stuff.

You could also try just going for walks in the morning before breakfast; you'll be burning off fat since you haven't eaten anything for like 10 hours. 2.5 miles = 250 calories in like half an hour, not bad.
    This is really good, thank you so much for your help x

ReputationRep:
    You're weak. You need to get strong. Learn to lift barbells with correct form and you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SEHughes)
    You're weak. You need to get strong. Learn to lift barbells with correct form and you'll be fine.
    I've got a yoga ball to help with some core strength, my boyfriend has got some weights, I'd never considered doing weights before, but it's a good idea. If I'm stronger exercise will be easier. Thank you

ReputationRep:
    I'd just like to thank everyone for their comments, I've gone into this full blast and am already feeling better in myself. I'm walking every evening, no matter how ****e I feel or how long I've been at work. I've started a food diary, which has helped me realise what I'm eating and how much water I'm drinking. It's only been a little while so I haven't lost that much weight about 3 pounds. But I feel more awake also side note my skin is so much clearer!

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

By salad vegetables I assume you mean all the kinds of things you put in salads, and not "salads AND vegetables". Because you won't be able to lose weight nearly as quick if you don't like real cooked vegetables!! That's half of my diet nowadays.

I'll give you the short version… these are your friends:
    • water (lots, and lots and lots of water)
    • vegetables (lots of these too)
    • chicken
    • fish (tuna is good for salads, salmon good for dinners)
    • rye bread and Rivita crackers (or at least wholemeal bread) instead of white bread when you have cravings for bread
    • salad leaves
    • lemon juice to dress salads (NOT fattening dressings)
    • lean meat
    • tofu (lower calories, high in protein)
    • eggs
    • homemade soups (they really aren't hard or time consuming - see below)
    • FRUIT

Things that are not your friends (i.e. if you really want to lose weight, literally avoid these and use your common sense to know which of these are okay as rare one-off treats i.e. one fizzy drink or a bowl of pasta etc):
    • fast food
    • naughties (we like natural yoghurt with some sweet berries to curb cravings)
    • red meat (this doesn't have to be a never, just not more than once a week)
    • regular alcohol drinking
    • excessive bread eating
    • potatoes
    • too much rice, too often
    • fizzy drinks
    • sugary drinks
    • juices BIG NO (opt for squash if you need a fruity taste)
    • extremely processed soups and meats
    • pasta

It's not necessarily that all of these are extremely bad for you. Rice and potatoes, for example, aren't bad. But they just add extra unnecessary calories when there are better alternatives to get your daily dose of carbs and better ways to fill up in meals (i.e. with veg).

Breakfast options: poached/boiled egg whites with some spinach and/or cooked tomatoes and/or tuna (a little mayonnaise, not much). A bit of bread is okay to fill you up. Alternatively, have fruit and yoghurt or granola/porridge.

Lunch options: homemade soups (normally just takes boiling some vegetables in some stock for an hour then liquidizing the whole thing - easy) or salads (leaves, some sweetcorn, some tuna or torn chicken, lemon juice, maybe a small spoon of humous or low fat mayo is okay for a nice taste - also what about peppers?)

Snack options: carrots and humous, a banana, an apple, some rivita with something on top

Dinner: 9 times out of 10 should be fish/chicken (with no calorific sauces), with lots of veg - broccoli and carrots are good fillers. Peas are easy to get from the freezer. Try courgettes, beans, spinach (cooked), sweet potato (good similar alternative to actual potatoes), asparagus. Sweetcorn is okay but not the best to have regularly. If you're feeling adventurous try swede or butternut squash. I don't know if either of these count as salad vegetables but you said you like cooked veg so try throwing some chopped baby tomatoes and peppers (and even onions and courgettes) into the oven for 20 minutes on about 180C, with a little salt and peppers and paprika on them and they come out fantastic - taste totally different from raw.

Alternatives to try as a one off treat for dins would be quorn or tofu products with something a bit naughtier e.g. quorn mince with a bit of spaghetti - but make homemade sauce from chopped tomatoes and herbs.

Losing weight is mostly about diet. Exercise speeds the process and also certainly makes for a key component for serious weight-losers. They say 60/40%. I'd say its more like 70/30% but hey just me. If you struggle with fitness levels, try walking before you can run. 3 or 4 times a week aim to go out before dinner and walk/lightly jog…first around the block then increase it each couple sessions or week. If you can't do that because of your hip problems as you say, swimming is great alternative. You have to really go for it when you go, though. No leisurely pace or quick in-out job. 30 minutes 3 times a week in the pool - aim for.

Also opt for skimmed milk if you can, it shaves off some unnecessary calories.

Just seen the bit about your food diary - that's exactly what I did. People say it's not healthy to count calories etc, but finding out how many calories I was eating per day helped me realise why I was putting on so much weight. Now I don't have to calorie count much, I just look something up if I'm not sure it's healthy or not. You should eat 1200-1400 calories per day to lose weight (I eat 1300-1400). Check your BMR. You're likely to have a higher BMR which means you could probably eat 1400-1450 every day and still lose weight well.

I haven't just magicked this advice from nowhere , by the way. I did all of the above and lost 6 lbs in 3-4 weeks. I think the weight loss slows a little, so I'm going to continue and hope I lose another 2/3 lbs in the next 3 weeks.

ReputationRep:
    I'd just like to thank everyone for their comments, I've gone into this full blast and am already feeling better in myself. I'm walking every evening, no matter how ****e I feel or how long I've been at work. I've started a food diary, which has helped me realise what I'm eating and how much water I'm drinking. It's only been a little while so I haven't lost that much weight about 3 pounds. But I feel more awake also side note my skin is so much clearer!
    Well done. Keep up the good work (:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lou_100)
    By salad vegetables I assume you mean all the kinds of things you put in salads, and not "salads AND vegetables". Because you won't be able to lose weight nearly as quick if you don't like real cooked vegetables!! That's half of my diet nowadays........
    Yeah, I do mean salad vegetables. I love cooked vegetables, it's bizarre if you give me a tomato or red pepper in something like spag bol or similar I will eat it, it's just the bitterness I don't like as soon as they are cooked I don't mind. I'm trying at the minute to swap my white carbs for whole meal or brown carbs. If I have bread I'm eating brown. I adore rivita, I've bought two packs both different "flavors" I topped it with low fat cottage cheese thinly sliced carrot and lettuce this morning just to jazz it up before I went to work. I was walking for 6 hours today at work + 10 min walk from bus stop x 4. (this is a tame day, a half shift) I got home and sat for a good 2 hours and took some ibuprofen (didn't nap!) and then went for a 2-3 mile walk and came home.
    I used to drink about 4 pints of coke while I was at work, I know it sounds terrible, but to get water I have to walk a fair way and when it was busy it was easier to get pour fizzy drinks which are literally less than a meter away. Instead I've started taking a massive volvic bottle of water (which I refill each day) to work and I drink that. This is nice because I don't crash from the lack of sugar and caffeine when I get home. I still have a cheeky half a diet coke if I'm feeling super tired but no more than 1.
    It's nice to hear that a diet/life change has worked for someone else, it gives me motivation to keep trying. I know like every time I've tried dieting though, in the middle of week 3 I will feel low and give up. I just need to push past it.
    I'm not much of a drinker, I don't like being drunk or sick and hate the taste of most alcohols however I did have a naughty pimms today but it was my only sin item.
    Tomorrow is my day off (Mondays and Wednesdays) normally I'd waste it sitting inside sleeping and watching crap on tv, but I'm going to walk the dog and go to the beach (No ice cream!)

Thanks for the long, helpful, insightful comment. It means a lot

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eggfriedrice)
    Well done. Keep up the good work (:
    Thank you.

Onward to victory

:bl:

ReputationRep:
    Eat low calories food and do exercise regular basis so that you could keep your health and diet normal.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 18, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.