Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Which course is closer (or closest) to Medicine for a 5th choice? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I'm currently picking my 5th choice for Medicine and I've narrowed it down to either Medical Physiology or Nursing. Two very different courses.

Medical physiology is like any other science degree except I think it's more taught to be based on the same substance of what medical students learn.

Nursing is a free vocational degree which also has medical aspects as it leads to a career where you work closely with doctors.

No matter which degree I pick, I plan to apply for Graduate entry Medicine, so I just wanted to know which degree would you say is best to help my kickstart my knowledge for a Medical degree?

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Akpanudo)
    Hi all,

I'm currently picking my 5th choice for Medicine and I've narrowed it down to either Medical Physiology or Nursing. Two very different courses.

Medical physiology is like any other science degree except I think it's more taught to be based on the same substance of what medical students learn.

Nursing is a free vocational degree which also has medical aspects as it leads to a career where you work closely with doctors.

No matter which degree I pick, I plan to apply for Graduate entry Medicine, so I just wanted to know which degree would you say is best to help my kickstart my knowledge for a Medical degree?

Thank you

Anatomy, Clinical Sciences or go for pharmacy/optometry and then go for graduate medicine (but just say worst case, you dont get in or change your mind...atleast you have a degree where you know youll get a good/stable job).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by derma2019)
    Anatomy, Clinical Sciences or go for pharmacy/optometry and then go for graduate medicine (but just say worst case, you dont get in or change your mind...atleast you have a degree where you know youll get a good/stable job).
    Can you have a stable job after studying a degree like Anatomy??

ReputationRep:
    Can you have a stable job after studying a degree like Anatomy??
    I was talking in reference to pharmacy or optometry.

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

Thank you
    Honestly dont see the point of putting a 5th choice, I didn't for dentistry. Worst comes to worse take a gap year. Its not worth doing another 3 year degree, adding to debts AND less of a chance in getting into grad.med.

ReputationRep:
    Nursing doesn't qualify you for graduate entry medicine does it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teen1234)
    Honestly dont see the point of putting a 5th choice, I didn't for dentistry. Worst comes to worse take a gap year. Its not worth doing another 3 year degree, adding to debts AND less of a chance in getting into grad.med.
    I apply after getting my A2 results. Already taking a gap year. So, putting a 5th choice in this instance would be viewed as very wise.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sunshineeee)
    Nursing doesn't qualify you for graduate entry medicine does it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It does indeed, as long as it's the degree not the diploma

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't advise putting nursing as a fifth as I have friends that did and were rejected on the basis that their personal statements were clearly geared to medicine
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    If you want to study medicine, study medicine. Do not have a 5th choice and reapply - it is the most sensible thing to do, cheaper and a better use of your time than spending 3 years learning things that are irrelevant to your future career.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.