The Student Room Group

Which course is closer (or closest) to Medicine for a 5th choice?

Hi all,

I'm currently picking my 5th choice for Medicine and I've narrowed it down to either Medical Physiology or Nursing. Two very different courses.

Medical physiology is like any other science degree except I think it's more taught to be based on the same substance of what medical students learn.

Nursing is a free vocational degree which also has medical aspects as it leads to a career where you work closely with doctors.

No matter which degree I pick, I plan to apply for Graduate entry Medicine, so I just wanted to know which degree would you say is best to help my kickstart my knowledge for a Medical degree?

Thank you :smile:
Original post by Akpanudo
Hi all,

I'm currently picking my 5th choice for Medicine and I've narrowed it down to either Medical Physiology or Nursing. Two very different courses.

Medical physiology is like any other science degree except I think it's more taught to be based on the same substance of what medical students learn.

Nursing is a free vocational degree which also has medical aspects as it leads to a career where you work closely with doctors.

No matter which degree I pick, I plan to apply for Graduate entry Medicine, so I just wanted to know which degree would you say is best to help my kickstart my knowledge for a Medical degree?

Anatomy, Clinical Sciences or go for pharmacy/optometry and then go for graduate medicine (but just say worst case, you dont get in or change your mind...atleast you have a degree where you know youll get a good/stable job).
Reply 2
Original post by derma2019
Anatomy, Clinical Sciences or go for pharmacy/optometry and then go for graduate medicine (but just say worst case, you dont get in or change your mind...atleast you have a degree where you know youll get a good/stable job).

Can you have a stable job after studying a degree like Anatomy??
Can you have a stable job after studying a degree like Anatomy??

I was talking in reference to pharmacy or optometry.
Reply 4
Hi all,

Honestly dont see the point of putting a 5th choice, I didn't for dentistry. Worst comes to worse take a gap year. Its not worth doing another 3 year degree, adding to debts AND less of a chance in getting into grad.med.
Nursing doesn't qualify you for graduate entry medicine does it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by teen1234
Honestly dont see the point of putting a 5th choice, I didn't for dentistry. Worst comes to worse take a gap year. Its not worth doing another 3 year degree, adding to debts AND less of a chance in getting into grad.med.

I apply after getting my A2 results. Already taking a gap year. So, putting a 5th choice in this instance would be viewed as very wise.
Original post by Sunshineeee
Nursing doesn't qualify you for graduate entry medicine does it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It does indeed, as long as it's the degree not the diploma

Posted from TSR Mobile
I wouldn't advise putting nursing as a fifth as I have friends that did and were rejected on the basis that their personal statements were clearly geared to medicine
Reply 9
If you want to study medicine, study medicine. Do not have a 5th choice and reapply - it is the most sensible thing to do, cheaper and a better use of your time than spending 3 years learning things that are irrelevant to your future career.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending