The Student Room Group

Wants to become pregnant during my degree

Hi everyone,

I wondered if there has been someone else in my situation, it would be great to hear others point of views and their experiences.

I have just finished my first year and now starting my second year in September. My partner and I want to try for a baby due to several factors and the fact that we both feel ready and we would love to have a little one :smile:

So I wondered if anyone has experienced a pregnancy whilst studying and how did you find it? Being a mature student and juggling pregnancy and a new born baby and uni work plus private/social life.

It would be great to hear from someone who might be in the same boat or know someone who has gone through this.

I look forward to hearing from you all.

Helen
Reply 1
A friend of mine gave birth last Sept before she started her 3rd year.

I know it made things a little bit harder for her - as you can probably imagine, it was a bit of a juggling act.

No one on her course thought that she would come back to do her 3rd year... but she did and she got a 2:1.

The main thing that got her through was her partner, support from friends, family and tutors.... If you have all that and the right attitude then I think anything is possible...

Best of luck, I am sure you will make the right decision for you :smile:
My flatmate got pregnant at the end of first year and found it impossible to continue her studies once the baby was born so ended up dropping out.
Reply 3
Original post by The OT student
Hi everyone,

I wondered if there has been someone else in my situation, it would be great to hear others point of views and their experiences.

I have just finished my first year and now starting my second year in September. My partner and I want to try for a baby due to several factors and the fact that we both feel ready and we would love to have a little one :smile:

So I wondered if anyone has experienced a pregnancy whilst studying and how did you find it? Being a mature student and juggling pregnancy and a new born baby and uni work plus private/social life.

It would be great to hear from someone who might be in the same boat or know someone who has gone through this.

I look forward to hearing from you all.

Helen

If it's your first, it's impossible to say.

Bear in mind that some people return to work immediately and don't have many problems, there's no reason why university should be much different.

It's on the individual. Some people get on fine with new babies, just get on with it and it's all ok. Others barely cope and are total drama queens.

A girl I know got married and had a baby after her 3rd year of medicine. She took a while off, did a PhD, then went back and finished her degree. Her husband looks after the baby and she's fine.

On the other hand, I know a woman (actually she's my sister in law) who was entirely incapable of doing anything once she had her baby and has to be supported by everyone in everything.

Quick Reply