Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I just wanted to share what I have learnt about the neuro-biological approach. From sharing my knowledge of this, I wanted your feedback to how I can improve for my A levels. so please comment any additional information, vocabulary, grammar (anything) Thanks yaaa

The neuro-biological approach is an approach that studies activity within the brain and nervous system. It is an approach that tries to relate actions to events taking place within the body.

For example, a scientist using the neuro-biological approach would be intrigued by the change of the nervous system when an individual is learning a new task. Also, they may be interested to study perception of visual displays through activity of neurons within the brain.

A case study that uses the neuro-biological approach is 'A brain wired for pleasure'. This study consisted of an severely depressed patient who had been having suicide thoughts. This man had a wired cap on his head along with micro-electrodes (Extremely small electrodes which can be implanted into the wall of a nerve cell without damage) implanted deep within his brain in an area that controls pleasure. The individual had a button control device which controlled the electrical flow to create pleasure through electrical stimulation which was delivered from the micro-electrode.

This method to cure a patient is seldom. It is only used in extreme cases where other approaches fail to cure the patient which is unable to be happy.

Scientist can also use electrodes to create fear and rage within animals.

This approach is often not used because the human brain is far from being understood. For the reason, live human brains are seldom so there are many gaps in knowledge of the brain. Other approaches are normally used, such as finding past problems with the patient and solving them (I think :K:)

Is there anything you can add, or would change guys? I am aiming for an A next year in psychology and have started my revision early.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Troytheboy)
    Hey guys, I just wanted to share what I have learnt about the neuro-biological approach. From sharing my knowledge of this, I wanted your feedback to how I can improve for my A levels. so please comment any additional information, vocabulary, grammar (anything) Thanks yaaa

The neuro-biological approach is an approach that studies activity within the brain and nervous system. It is an approach that tries to relate actions to events taking place within the body.

For example, a scientist using the neuro-biological approach would be intrigued by the change of the nervous system when an individual is learning a new task. Also, they may be interested to study perception of visual displays through activity of neurons within the brain.

A case study that uses the neuro-biological approach is 'A brain wired for pleasure'. This study consisted of an severely depressed patient who had been having suicide thoughts. This man had a wired cap on his head along with micro-electrodes (Extremely small electrodes which can be implanted into the wall of a nerve cell without damage) implanted deep within his brain in an area that controls pleasure. The individual had a button control device which controlled the electrical flow to create pleasure through electrical stimulation which was delivered from the micro-electrode.

This method to cure a patient is seldom. It is only used in extreme cases where other approaches fail to cure the patient which is unable to be happy.

Scientist can also use electrodes to create fear and rage within animals.

This approach is often not used because the human brain is far from being understood. For the reason, live human brains are seldom so there are many gaps in knowledge of the brain. Other approaches are normally used, such as finding past problems with the patient and solving them (I think :K:)

Is there anything you can add, or would change guys? I am aiming for an A next year in psychology and have started my revision early.
    Are you doing AS Level psychology now?? (i.e. have you just done a year of psychology). There are quite a lot of mistakes here, or rather half-truths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by susanalbumparty)
    Are you doing AS Level psychology now?? (i.e. have you just done a year of psychology). There are quite a lot of mistakes here, or rather half-truths.
    Oh oh not good and no.I'm revising from introduction to psychology by Richard c.Atkinson.

What information is wrong specifically?

ReputationRep:
    Oh oh not good and no.I'm revising from introduction to psychology by Richard c.Atkinson.

What information is wrong specifically?
    Well, to me it makes no sense to learn the "approaches" sections before actually doing any real psychology, because naturally students have few good examples to draw from when illustrating their points. I know this is how AQA B teach psychology anyway so its not your fault. IF this is your first essay then dont be too disheartened, you'll get alot better at writing essays once you've progress through the course.

The neuro-biological approach is an approach that studies activity within the brain and nervous system. It is an approach that tries to relate actions to events taking place within the body. good

For example, a scientist using the neuro-biological approach would be intrigued by the change of the nervous system when an individual is learning a new task. Also, they may be interested to study perception of visual displays through activity of neurons within the brain. same, this is accurate, but lacks any detailed example of a biological study on human behaviour. WHAT changes in the nervous system during learning (what type of learning specifically), also you may want to add a citation from a specific study that illustrates your poist.

A case study that uses the neuro-biological approach is 'A brain wired for pleasure'. This study consisted of an severely depressed patient who had been having suicide thoughts. This man had a wired cap on his head along with micro-electrodes (Extremely small electrodes which can be implanted into the wall of a nerve cell without damage) implanted deep within his brain in an area that controls pleasure. The individual had a button control device which controlled the electrical flow to create pleasure through electrical stimulation which was delivered from the micro-electrode. I THINK your confusing EEG which uses wire caps (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electroencephalography) and is a non-invasive procedure and simply measures activity vs. neurostimulation which may use micro-electrodes to activate single neurons or groups of neurons/brain tissue

This method to cure a patient is seldom. It is only used in extreme cases where other approaches fail to cure the patient which is unable to be happy. Yes, but the biological approach IS used to for treating with depression, http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Antidep...roduction.aspx

Scientist can also use electrodes to create fear and rage within animals. Who did this and how did they do it, to which animals, etc?

This approach is often not used because the human brain is far from being understood. YES and NO, the biological approach is used ALOT, and yet the brain is poorly understood. For the reason Which reason?, live human brains are seldom so there are many gaps in knowledge of the brain. Human brains ARE studied very often, however using functional imaging which is NON-invasive.Other approaches are normally used, such as finding past problems with the patient and solving them (I think :K:. The problem with this last paragraph is that you have to define WHAT TOPICS you are talking about before you say that the biological approach is not used. The "biological approach" is used to study ALOT of things, although you may find specific areas of research where it is used less (e.g. some social-psychological topics).

If you are reading for A level psychology next year, I would start by revising one of the topics (e.g. memory, social influences) rather than the approaches. Then when you start learning the approaches you can draw on good examples. If you revised the memory topic, you could use examples from that to say how the biological approach is used to study behaviour!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by susanalbumparty)
    Well, to me it makes no sense to learn the "approaches" sections before actually doing any real psychology, because naturally students have few good examples to draw from when illustrating their points. I know this is how AQA B teach psychology anyway so its not your fault. IF this is your first essay then dont be too disheartened, you'll get alot better at writing essays once you've progress through the course.

If you are reading for A level psychology next year, I would start by revising one of the topics (e.g. memory, social influences) rather than the approaches. Then when you start learning the approaches you can draw on good examples. If you revised the memory topic, you could use examples from that to say how the biological approach is used to study behaviour!
    You are awesome haha! i'm going to find the answers to these questions to learn about this approach more in depth. Would it be okay if I quote you back after I found the answers and am able to answer these questions in better quality?

By the way by estimation what grade answerr would this be?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.