Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I was wondering for your advice on how to improve the chances of becoming a nursing director?

I am currently pursuing a career in mental health nursing and wish to duo nurse this with a paramedic qualification.

Then I wish to do my masters

But how can I improve my chances of becoming a nursing director? What steps?

ReputationRep:
    I understand you're keen and ambitious, but a post like this would be decades away for you from now. You've not even started training as a pre reg student yet, I'd focus on getting onto that course first. You need years of experience, years of management experience at bands seven and eight and be able to beat all the other competition in highly competitive interviews.

I honestly don't understand why anyone who wants to do nursing would want to be a director of nursing, you never get to work with patients, are tied up in meetings, briefings and investigations and pretty much most of your interaction to do with patients will be when they've made a serious complaint that you have to investigate. Personally, I went into nursing to look after patients, when I'm old and my back has been put out from moving too many patients with the fuller figure I'll probably look at going into nurse education.

I know I've answered a few of your threads like this in a pretty negative fashion, however, I know what nurses are like, if you turn up telling people you're wanting to become a nurse practitioner or a director of nursing as a pre reg student they're not likely to take it as a positive attitude. They will assume you're not interested in learning about their role or make the assumption that you think you're above them (whether true or not). Nurses can be funny creatures. The best advice I can give you when wanting to do your nurse training it to focus on your placements and completing your course, make a good impression on placement, they'll remember you when recruiting and in job interviews. Doing well as a pre reg student is the best way to start doing well as a newly qualified nurse, which leads onto bigger and better things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moonkatt)
    I understand you're keen and ambitious, but a post like this would be decades away for you from now. You've not even started training as a pre reg student yet, I'd focus on getting onto that course first. You need years of experience, years of management experience at bands seven and eight and be able to beat all the other competition in highly competitive interviews.

I honestly don't understand why anyone who wants to do nursing would want to be a director of nursing, you never get to work with patients, are tied up in meetings, briefings and investigations and pretty much most of your interaction to do with patients will be when they've made a serious complaint that you have to investigate. Personally, I went into nursing to look after patients, when I'm old and my back has been put out from moving too many patients with the fuller figure I'll probably look at going into nurse education.

I know I've answered a few of your threads like this in a pretty negative fashion, however, I know what nurses are like, if you turn up telling people you're wanting to become a nurse practitioner or a director of nursing as a pre reg student they're not likely to take it as a positive attitude. They will assume you're not interested in learning about their role or make the assumption that you think you're above them (whether true or not). Nurses can be funny creatures. The best advice I can give you when wanting to do your nurse training it to focus on your placements and completing your course, make a good impression on placement, they'll remember you when recruiting and in job interviews. Doing well as a pre reg student is the best way to start doing well as a newly qualified nurse, which leads onto bigger and better things.
    Okay thank you moonkatt. It do make sense why they react in a negative way. The reason I would like to be a director is because I enjoy academia and also wouldn't you able to establish changes to deliver a better service for the patients?. Of course, I do wish to be a mental health nurse but I want to progress up the rankings rather than stay at the same level.

But like you said I suppose that is the best way to do things, and who knows once I become a nurse I may well feel so rewarded with my job that I do not want to progress

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Troytheboy)
    Okay thank you moonkatt. It do make sense why they react in a negative way. The reason I would like to be a director is because I enjoy academia and also wouldn't you able to establish changes to deliver a better service for the patients?. Of course, I do wish to be a mental health nurse but I want to progress up the rankings rather than stay at the same level.

But like you said I suppose that is the best way to do things, and who knows once I become a nurse I may well feel so rewarded with my job that I do not want to progress
    I suppose it's a position where you can make changes in the system, but it's so far detached from what I see as nursing that I don't really have an interest in it.

ReputationRep:
    I suppose it's a position where you can make changes in the system, but it's so far detached from what I see as nursing that I don't really have an interest in it.
    I want to implement changes that will affect the health care resulting in better care for the patients, and the reputation of mental health nursing. What changes you might ask? I do not know presently my ambition for changes is vague but that is the reason why I wish to become a director :K:

ReputationRep:
    Also I feel as if I would have done my fair share of nursing.Also, once in that position I can make bigger decisions that provide better care and bigger changes to the nursing sector which would kind of be helping clients more?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone who wants to be Nurse Manager should be removed from the profession forthwith and in many cases taken round the back and shot.

Nurse Managers are the only Health professionals as Managers where not maintaining cllinical currency is seen as perk of Office - in some crappy trusts this starts are band 6 levle as well with office dweller band 6s , 'supernumerary ' band 7s who think this means they shouldn;t deliver service and matrons and ADNs who despite wearing uniform never actually touch a patient from one re-registration to the next.

roll on revalidation in Nursing and a requirement to actually do some patient care .

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Quick links:

Unanswered Health and Emergency services Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.