Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

English Literature Reading List Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    What would you advise reading for AS Level English Literature as a basic starting point?

Then, specifically for:

The Great Gatsby, The Importance of Being Earnest, Much Ado About Nothing and Enduring Love (Ian McEwan)?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JayJay-C19)
    What would you advise reading for AS Level English Literature as a basic starting point?

Then, specifically for:

The Great Gatsby, The Importance of Being Earnest, Much Ado About Nothing and Enduring Love (Ian McEwan)?

Thanks.
    1) In general, try to read as much as you can, just read books that interest you, it's no good reading something unless you enjoy it.
    2) Based on these books, i would recommend anything by thomas hardy (tess of the D'urbavilles is good) and maybe stuff by D.H Lawrence. You could also try some Jane Austin.
    I also highly recommend watching this version of Much Ado: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2094064/. It is amazing.

ReputationRep:
    I agree, you have to read everything you are interested and don't be put off if others aren't reading all the material that you are.
    As boring as it sounds, non-fiction texts are really important to cover, as examiners love it when you can quote effectively from them and it shows a broader coverage of the syllabus.

If you haven't already Emily Bronte's 'Wuthering Heights' and Charlotte Bronte's 'Jane Eyre' are good novels to read but great to start with as they encompass many themes and are seen almost as must reads for the literary period.

Another thing is 'extracts'- reading is all very well, but there isn't time to read every text

I'm going through my AS stuff at the minute so if you want to, feel free to message me and I'll try to help you in any way I can

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pollymed1995)
    I agree, you have to read everything you are interested and don't be put off if others aren't reading all the material that you are.
    As boring as it sounds, non-fiction texts are really important to cover, as examiners love it when you can quote effectively from them and it shows a broader coverage of the syllabus.

If you haven't already Emily Bronte's 'Wuthering Heights' and Charlotte Bronte's 'Jane Eyre' are good novels to read but great to start with as they encompass many themes and are seen almost as must reads for the literary period.

Another thing is 'extracts'- reading is all very well, but there isn't time to read every text

I'm going through my AS stuff at the minute so if you want to, feel free to message me and I'll try to help you in any way I can
    Thank you!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JayJay-C19)

Then, specifically for:

Thanks.
    As the others said, read what interested you. I had to do Enduring Love for my A2 Lit coursework this year and I didn't particular enjoy it. However you might do.

AS texts are very subjective. For instance, you can class Pride and Prejudice as an A-level text, but it is pretty much on all exam boards English Lit GCSE Spec to be taught in 2015.

But, generically, AS/A-level texts include Dracula, The Go Between, Wuthering Heights, A Streetcar Named Desire, Cloud 9, Death of Salesman, Dorian Gray, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, 12 Years A Slave, etc.

Just be sure to pick ones that you would be interested in. For instance, any particular novels you enjoyed studying at GCSE? If it was a victorian text like Great Expectations, go for more Dickens' novels, Hardy's and perhaps Gaskell novels too.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.