The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

POLL: What's your view on #FreeTheNipple?

Poll

Do you support #freethenipple?

Do you agree? Disagree? Not sure? Think it depends on setting?

"Free The Nipple is a film, an equality movement, and a mission to empower women across the world. We stand against female oppression and censorship, both in the United States and around the globe. Today, in the USA it is effectively ILLEGAL for a woman to be topless, breastfeeding included, in 35 states. In less tolerant places like Louisiana, an exposed nipple can take a woman to jail for up to three years and cost $2,500 in fines. Even in New York City, which legalized public toplessness in 1992, the NYPD continues to arrest women. We're working to change these inequalities through film, social media, and a grassroots campaign."

Imo (as a woman), I am not completely opposed to the movement because I feel like censoring female boobs/nipples completely is daft, e.g. breastfeeding, but whether we like it or not, boobs/female nipples are over-sexualised and considered secondary sex characteristic in most of the world. At the same time though, I wouldn't be totally against female nipples being uncensored/allowed on beaches etc. because the only problems I can imagine are those caused by other people who are rude/sexually harassing them, nothing from the women themselves... but I'm not sure where I stand exactly.

Thoughts? Arguments for and against? I'm genuinely interested because I'm unsure about it.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I'd say overall in society, most men would see this as a sexualisation rather than a 'movement', but I agree with the points you made :smile:
In a way I feel saddened that such a group even feel the need to exist. I think that when breastfeeding, sunbathing, in a spa or on a beach it should be perfectly normal for a woman to be topless, and pass without comment. There are places where I want everyone to cover up, male or female, regardless.
Reply 3
It should be a plural.

Women have mammary glands, it's not the same as men. Brest feeding is absolutely fine, but tits out and walking around in public? no. Lads will be getting their wangs out and ****ing off.
Shouldn't warrant a prison sentence/fine/any substantial punishment, but I still don't support women being able to walk around topless randomly. Breastfeeding is fine
Reply 5
I don't see a problem with even being fully naked. As long as there isn't something unsightly in turns of huge "liquidy" growth then it is fine. Only reason for this is as it may make some people feel unwell when looking at it.

Or if you course stink.

Ok maybe areas where no nudity.. busy public places. but other than that it should be fine.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by barnetlad
In a way I feel saddened that such a group even feel the need to exist. I think that when breastfeeding, sunbathing, in a spa or on a beach it should be perfectly normal for a woman to be topless, and pass without comment. There are places where I want everyone to cover up, male or female, regardless.

This
The problem is, and forgive me for putting it crudely, but free the nipple will not mean more topless teens. It is just an excuse for grizzled old sows to shove their saggy meat pillows in our faces.
Original post by 8472
I don't see a problem with even being fully naked. As long as there isn't something unsightly in turns of huge pussy growth then it is fine. Only reason for this is as it may make some people feel unwell when looking at it.

Or if you course stink.

What is that in layman's terms?
Reply 9
Original post by 8472
I don't see a problem with being fully naked. As long as there isn't something unsightly in turns of huge pussy growth then it is fine.

If you mean pubic hair....that's completely natural. I don't like to look at it, sure, but I don't see how you can be OK with nudity, but not OK with pubes?
And if you meant people with physical disfigurements should cover up....I'm not even going to respond to that.

Personally, I hate nudity in anywhere that it's not to be expected, and that people who don't want to see it can't get away from. That means nudist beaches are fine, but should be separate from non-nudist beaches, unless there's an absolutely overwhelming demand for nudist ones. Spas, fine. Walking down the street in summer? No. Please, even if it's just shorts and a t-shirt, put some clothes on. You will get annoyed if I look, so cover it the hell up! Also, whether you're drop-dead gorgeous, or 80, wrinkly, saggy and overweight, I don't want to see it!

I hate seeing men topless as much as I am against women showing their boobs (and nipples) in public. I don't really like breastfeeding in public, but I understand that it's sometimes necessary. I just think in a restaurant or cafe, it would be polite to notify people sitting right next to you, not just whip a boob out, and to cover up a little.
If it's hot, wear lighter and looser clothes, don't just take them all off and force other people to see your sweaty body. Eurgh
Reply 10
Original post by TheAnusFiles
What is that in layman's terms?

damn. I wrote the wrong thing. Not pussy. I mean pussy. ... you see. Pussy as in pus or is it puss. I don't know. You know. liquidy growth.
(edited 9 years ago)
who can honestly say that a woman should be physically forced into covering up her body?
because a law that prohibits a woman from showing her body has that exact result
would you physically force a woman to do that? if not, then why let the government do it for you?
Reply 12
Original post by Katie_p
If you mean pubic hair....that's completely natural. I don't like to look at it, sure, but I don't see how you can be OK with nudity, but not OK with pubes?
And if you meant people with physical disfigurements should cover up....I'm not even going to respond to that.

Personally, I hate nudity in anywhere that it's not to be expected, and that people who don't want to see it can't get away from. That means nudist beaches are fine, but should be separate from non-nudist beaches, unless there's an absolutely overwhelming demand for nudist ones. Spas, fine. Walking down the street in summer? No. Please, even if it's just shorts and a t-shirt, put some clothes on. You will get annoyed if I look, so cover it the hell up! Also, whether you're drop-dead gorgeous, or 80, wrinkly, saggy and overweight, I don't want to see it!

I hate seeing men topless as much as I am against women showing their boobs (and nipples) in public. I don't really like breastfeeding in public, but I understand that it's sometimes necessary. I just think in a restaurant or cafe, it would be polite to notify people sitting right next to you, not just whip a boob out, and to cover up a little.
If it's hot, wear lighter and looser clothes, don't just take them all off and force other people to see your sweaty body. Eurgh

I wrote the wrong thing. I meant the liquidy growth. Not anything sexual. :laugh:

If you have always seen something you wouldn't mind it. So..
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by 8472
I wrote the wrong thing. I meant the liquidy growth. Not anything sexual. :laugh:

If you have always seen something you wouldn't mind it. So..

But there are 3 generations who haven't always seen it and would mind! Yes, in an ideal world, we might not care that much about nudity, but just because we shouldn't see something as sexual doesn't mean that we don't, and I can't overwrite the fact that if I see boobs, I either think "yum" or "yuk" depending on how attractive they are! It's not fair to the people I'd yuk at to get that reaction, or the people I'd yum at to be perved on, or to ME to have to react like this becase I've effectively been conditioned to it, and then deal with the anger of the people I've offended by the reaction I can't help.
Reply 14
Original post by Katie_p
But there are 3 generations who haven't always seen it and would mind! Yes, in an ideal world, we might not care that much about nudity, but just because we shouldn't see something as sexual doesn't mean that we don't, and I can't overwrite the fact that if I see boobs, I either think "yum" or "yuk" depending on how attractive they are! It's not fair to the people I'd yuk at to get that reaction, or the people I'd yum at to be perved on, or to ME to have to react like this becase I've effectively been conditioned to it, and then deal with the anger of the people I've offended by the reaction I can't help.

Well if it were introduced gradually and in certain areas given enough time... Then no one would mind. No one would have such reactions.
I say they should get a life
Reply 16
Yes I think we should definitely do this.
It's stupid.
Reply 18
Original post by 8472
...As long as there isn't something unsightly in turns of huge "liquidy" growth then it is fine...

"Liquidy"?

Original post by TheAnusFiles
The problem is, and forgive me for putting it crudely, but free the nipple will not mean more topless teens. It is just an excuse for grizzled old sows to shove their saggy meat pillows in our faces.

And?
Original post by jamesgatz
"Liquidy"?

And?

If anything we should create equality by banning fat/old men from going topless