Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Please help me anyone. I have no idea what I'm doing. You don't have to answer all questions even just one would be great. I'm getting really stressed over what to apply to do at uni. And I also really don't want to move even to the next city as I have a non immediate family member who has a terminal illness.

If I got into medicine and didn't like it could I change to a physics or chemistry or biology or maths degree? Is there a time limit for this eg. Could I change after one year, after two years, after one month?

I want to apply to medicine at glasgow, biology at glasgow & strathclyde, chemistry at glasgow and physics at glasgow. Is this stupid?

Can you only have one identical personal statement for all your uni applications?

If I apply to physics at strathclyde and medicine at glasgow and my personal statement says I want to be a doctor and mentions all my work experience in GP surgeries and hospitals will the physics department be less likely to give me an offer as they think they are just a back up??

Thanks soo so much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ah4p)
    I want to apply to medicine at glasgow, biology at glasgow & strathclyde, chemistry at glasgow and physics at glasgow. Is this stupid?
    Yes.

(Original post by ah4p)
    Can you only have one identical personal statement for all your uni applications?
    Because yes.

(Original post by ah4p)
    If I apply to physics at strathclyde and medicine at glasgow and my personal statement says I want to be a doctor and mentions all my work experience in GP surgeries and hospitals will the physics department be less likely to give me an offer as they think they are just a back up??
    Also yes.

You'd definitely struggle to get onto a non-medical related course with a medical personal statement. It's certainly do-able, because if you have the grades for medicine, then you definitely have better grades than the average graduate for other courses, even for something competitive like Physics.

Universities are normally quite understanding about changing course. You could do it in the first few weeks of term and stay the year, or at the end of first year (probably 2nd year as well).

However, if you don't want to leave Glasgow, then you don't have much choice. You could try applying for more medicine-related back up courses like biomedical sciences or pharmacy. But obviously if you don't want to do these courses, don't apply. It might be worth contacting the university admissions offices and asking about giving alternative personal statements. There's no guarantee they'll make the exception, but it's always worth asking.

ReputationRep:
    Oh my gosh thank you so much. I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions

Can I just ask why exactly you think it would be stupid to apply to medicine at glasgow, biology at glasgow & strathclyde, chemistry at glasgow and physics at glasgow?

Thanks again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PythianLegume)
    Yes.

Because yes.

Also yes.

You'd definitely struggle to get onto a non-medical related course with a medical personal statement. It's certainly do-able, because if you have the grades for medicine, then you definitely have better grades than the average graduate for other courses, even for something competitive like Physics.

Universities are normally quite understanding about changing course. You could do it in the first few weeks of term and stay the year, or at the end of first year (probably 2nd year as well).

However, if you don't want to leave Glasgow, then you don't have much choice. You could try applying for more medicine-related back up courses like biomedical sciences or pharmacy. But obviously if you don't want to do these courses, don't apply. It might be worth contacting the university admissions offices and asking about giving alternative personal statements. There's no guarantee they'll make the exception, but it's always worth asking.
    Oh my gosh thank you so much. I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions

Can I just ask why exactly you think it would be stupid to apply to medicine at glasgow, biology at glasgow & strathclyde, chemistry at glasgow and physics at glasgow?

Thanks again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ah4p)

Thanks again
    Purely because of the personal statement not managing to spread across so many different subjects - it'll have to be 100% medicine focussed to get any chance at medicine. But as I said, you don't have much choice if you really do want to stay in Glasgow.

ReputationRep:
    Purely because of the personal statement not managing to spread across so many different subjects - it'll have to be 100% medicine focussed to get any chance at medicine. But as I said, you don't have much choice if you really do want to stay in Glasgow.

So would you suggest I just forget about medicine and apply to one more science related course eg. Pharmacy??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ah4p)

Thanks again

I think its better that you decide what you want to do then apply for 5 diff courses. Firstly, 99% of medical applicants will have applied to other medical schools and its SUPER competitive to get in as it is so if you even indicate you arent sure about it....a big fat rejection will come your way. Secondly, you need to look into the other courses. University level is a step up and you have to enjoy your subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by derma2019)
    I think its better that you decide what you want to do then apply for 5 diff courses. Firstly, 99% of medical applicants will have applied to other medical schools and its SUPER competitive to get in as it is so if you even indicate you arent sure about it....a big fat rejection will come your way. Secondly, you need to look into the other courses. University level is a step up and you have to enjoy your subject.
    Medicine is what I want to do. I haut don't think I'm prepared to move when I have a cousin with not long to live.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ah4p)
    So would you suggest I just forget about medicine and apply to one more science related course eg. Pharmacy??
    No, that'll be just as bad - you can't apply to Physics with a Biology personal statement either. Go for the course you most want to do as first choice, always (as long as you have a reasonable chance of getting in ). If medicine is what you want to do, go for it. But it's not likely (although very possible) that you'll get offers for other courses. I also think you should want to do your course rather than going to university for the sake of it.

My real advice would be to apply for medicine in other cities; this isn't an immediate relative after all. But it's not my position to tell you your own family situation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ah4p)
    Medicine is what I want to do. I haut don't think I'm prepared to move when I have a cousin with not long to live.
    Apply for deferred entry, consider graduate or maybe other local unis near glasgow?

I hope it works out for you.

ReputationRep:
    No, that'll be just as bad - you can't apply to Physics with a Biology personal statement either. Go for the course you most want to do as first choice, always (as long as you have a reasonable chance of getting in ). If medicine is what you want to do, go for it. But it's not likely (although very possible) that you'll get offers for other courses. I also think you should want to do your course rather than going to university for the sake of it.

My real advice would be to apply for medicine in other cities; this isn't an immediate relative after all. But it's not my position to tell you your own family situation.
    You can, however, apply to rather a lot of things with a Medicine personal statement. I dare say there's very little communication between departments as well - surely there's a rather high chance that all the non-Medicine courses assume they're the backup choice, in which case she/he has a reasonable chance of getting offers from any and all of them?

OP: I would definitely recommend applying for just Medicine at Glasgow and maybe Medicine with deferred entry elsewhere. A mention in your PS and/or an email to admissions to clarify the situation could be the difference between them considering whether to grant you deferred entry or not (and potentially between them accepting or rejecting you on the medical course at Glasgow, if they see that you have a good reason to want to go there specifically). If none of this works out, then a gap year sounds like a great idea if you really need to be around all the time for your cousin.

Question, though - why do you need to be in Glasgow? I would assume you don't perform any personal care for your cousin, and I would also assume that you're not required to be around to drive him/her to the hospital etc. You can leave uni for a few days to go home and be there at the drop of a hat for virtually the whole of the year, they're generally understanding, so I don't see why you can't apply for Medicine elsewhere. I mean, you're unlikely to be allowed to miss assessments or exams since it's not your parent/sibling that is terminally ill, but I still don't really understand the problem...

ReputationRep:
    Erm.. couldnt you just take a gap year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ah4p)
    Please help me anyone. I have no idea what I'm doing. You don't have to answer all questions even just one would be great. I'm getting really stressed over what to apply to do at uni. And I also really don't want to move even to the next city as I have a non immediate family member who has a terminal illness.

If I got into medicine and didn't like it could I change to a physics or chemistry or biology or maths degree? Is there a time limit for this eg. Could I change after one year, after two years, after one month?

Thanks soo so much.
    I know this isn't what you asked, but it needs to be said.

You are proposing literally changing the entire direction of you life here. Literally the next 50 years of your life is on the line... are you really sure your cousin wants you to sacrifice that for them? Have you asked them if that's what they want you to do? Or is it that you're so close to your cousin that you feel being close to them when they die is worth imposing major limitations on the rest of your life?

The best solution here would seem to be either: a) apply to medicine at other unis as well as Glasgow and come back regularly or b) apply for deferred entry and take a gap year.

If you did for some bizarre reason insist on applying to other courses at Glasgow, i think they might actually be more lenient than people are making out. At Nottingham, for instance, they routinely make chemistry, physics, biology offers to people they reject for medicine even though those applicants didn't ask for them! Probably not be so lenient at Glasgow, but then again, it might be.

ReputationRep:
    Am I right in thinking that universities CAN see if you have applied to more than one course at their institution? Applying for four fairly different courses at one university, with a medicine personal statement, would raise questions about your commitment to any of them. There are other biological sciences options, I'm sure, which would at least be more closely related than physics and chemistry.

But as others have already said, this is a HUGE decision to be making for the sake of your cousin. There are several medical schools within an hour or two's travel from Glasgow, so unless you're actually acting as a direct personal carer, it would be easy enough to get home for visits and if they should take a turn for the worse. You could also take a gap year and apply next year with more freedom of choice, so you wouldn't have to sacrifice your ambitions of medicine if that's what you really want to do.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.