Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Trying to tackle body acne Watch

I was just wondering if anyone had any advice for tackling body acne? I've had it for years now on my shoulders, the top of my back and some on my chest but I just can't seem to stop it :/
    It's summer now and it's starting to really get me down because I can't wear strappy tops or anything like that without feeling disgusting and ugly or without having someone comment. But its so god damn warm outside I just don't go out now because I just overheat in my clothes :/

I won't be going to the GP about this for several reasons, including that I can't afford prescription treatments and I have had VERY bad experiences and treatment with GPs in the past. I also cannot in any way afford to see a dermatologist so please don't tell me to go and see one, I have like £30 in the bank :/

so I was just wondering if anyone knows any kind of tips or tricks or certain products routines or treatments they found to work? Even if it's something not usually used for acne? Not OTC spot stuff like clean and clear and stuff like that though as I've tried them all and they've literally never made a difference.

Oh also in case it makes a difference on what types of spots they are I get two difference kinds, I get lots of small white heads (these don't bother me so much) but I also get lots of deep under the skin red spots, they're not quite bad enough to be classed as cysts though and they're not painful they're just butt ugly.

Also sorry if TMI

Oh also I forgot to mention, I am already on the combined pill and that didn't improve it and in case it makes a difference I am 20 years old.

ReputationRep:
    So I used to get stuff on my back, shoulders and chest too. Now all I have are battle scars, I didn't do anything in particular to them as in I didn't use anything magical. But they did eventually go, perhaps change the shower gel you use to something less harsh and more natural as that can irritate the skin. Less perfumed products on your skin including moisturisers. My skin is super sensitive so I can't use that stuff so that could be why mine has cleared up now. I use a non perfumed moisturiser for dry skin because I do have dry skin and for washing I use a bar of soap for sensitive skin and is completely natural. Like me you might be left with scars or you might not, but I've gotten over the scars because it's better than the spots and they'll eventually fade.. I don't let it prevent me from wearing low cut tops/dresses. I hope this has helped (:

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by beaverhausen)
    So I used to get stuff on my back, shoulders and chest too. Now all I have are battle scars, I didn't do anything in particular to them as in I didn't use anything magical. But they did eventually go, perhaps change the shower gel you use to something less harsh and more natural as that can irritate the skin. Less perfumed products on your skin including moisturisers. My skin is super sensitive so I can't use that stuff so that could be why mine has cleared up now. I use a non perfumed moisturiser for dry skin because I do have dry skin and for washing I use a bar of soap for sensitive skin and is completely natural. Like me you might be left with scars or you might not, but I've gotten over the scars because it's better than the spots and they'll eventually fade.. I don't let it prevent me from wearing low cut tops/dresses. I hope this has helped (:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hey thanks for replying I've changed my body wash multiple times and now I only use natural stuff or soaps with no perfumes or anything like that and I moisturise with e45 cream as it's the only moisturiser I've found that doesn't exacerbate it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hey thanks for replying I've changed my body wash multiple times and now I only use natural stuff or soaps with no perfumes or anything like that and I moisturise with e45 cream as it's the only moisturiser I've found that doesn't exacerbate it.
    Then I'd say give it time, mine didn't disappear over time after having changed my routine. Those natural steps I think will make a difference just over time, I know it's inconvenient in summer time but there's nothing much else I can think off. I know my mum said that she used to rub alcohol over her back because she had it there as a teen and that helped her, but my skin was too sensitive for that and that caused mine to burn but if you're willing to try you can give that a go? Not drinking alcohol btw :colone:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I noticed that certain shampoos and conditioners gave me painful, itchy acne on my neck/shoulders/back. Try using some 'Simple' shampoo (no conditioner) for a week or two and see if you notice any difference.

(Original post by beaverhausen)
    Then I'd say give it time, mine didn't disappear over time after having changed my routine. Those natural steps I think will make a difference just over time, I know it's inconvenient in summer time but there's nothing much else I can think off. I know my mum said that she used to rub alcohol over her back because she had it there as a teen and that helped her, but my skin was too sensitive for that and that caused mine to burn but if you're willing to try you can give that a go? Not drinking alcohol btw :colone:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think I've given my back enough time :/ it's going on 5 years now.
    I might try that, it can't help the skin on my body isn't very sensitive I've found.

(Original post by Thorax)
    I noticed that certain shampoos and conditioners gave me painful, itchy acne on my neck/shoulders/back. Try using some 'Simple' shampoo (no conditioner) for a week or two and see if you notice any difference.
    Yeah I suppose, though I change up my shampoo quite regularly and always re-wash my back after washing my hair to avoid stuff from the shampoo causing spots. Unfortunately i can't stop using conditioner as my hair falls out if I don't use it, but I never let the conditioner come in contact with my back anyway and haven't done for years, I keep my hair off my back til it's dry and then tie it up into a bun.

ReputationRep:
    Any tips on what moisturisers and soap to use?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 5, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.