Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Marathon training and muscle building? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I have signed up to run a marathon next April.

I do have a bit of body fat to lose due to a whole year off any sort of physical activity and drinking/eating takeaways weekly. It doesnt take me very long to lose body fat, by September I reckon I will be in decent enough shape.

However, I dont particularly want to have a typical runners physique. Nothing wrong with it at all, but personally I would rather put on a bit of muscle and get lean.

Does anyone have any experience of running of marathon whilst also weight training? The two both contradict each other; long runs will burn well over 1000 calories, and weight training means a calorie surplus.

I was thinking of doing alternate days of running and then weights. Does anyone have any advice for types/how much food I should eat?

Or is this situation an unreachable utopia?

ReputationRep:
    It's contradictory is training different types of muscle fibres. I think you're probably best to aim for maintenance calories. You might get some body re-composition but don't bet on it. Mostly you'll be trying to save what muscle you have now.

I have a friend who is a competitive powerlifter who is currently training for a marathon, all 120kg of him. His main goal is strength but the run is for charity. He still lifts 3 times a week plus whatever is normal marathon training. He isn't trying to gain strength just maintenance muscle and technique/neural efficiency. As he becomes able to run further recovery before squat and deadlift became problematic so he now has three running rest days in the row and trains squat/deadlift on the middle day. As he gets closer to the race he plans to stop doing lower body strength training to stop recovery becoming impossible/asking for injury.

But I do know people who run and lift all the time but they have to choose to let one limit the other/prioritise. You can be a good distance runner and an ok lifter or vice versa. Or you can prioritise both equally and be a bit below good at both but you'll never get close to your potential in either if you value them both equally.
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Having run a marathon, it's incredibly tiring, you'd have to be very smart in your programming. I could have done perhaps 1 maybe 2 gym sessions if I cut my running to 4x a week rather than the 5x a week programme I did.

Good luck with your run mate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DelBoy12)
    I have signed up to run a marathon next April.

I do have a bit of body fat to lose due to a whole year off any sort of physical activity and drinking/eating takeaways weekly. It doesnt take me very long to lose body fat, by September I reckon I will be in decent enough shape.

However, I dont particularly want to have a typical runners physique. Nothing wrong with it at all, but personally I would rather put on a bit of muscle and get lean.

Does anyone have any experience of running of marathon whilst also weight training? The two both contradict each other; long runs will burn well over 1000 calories, and weight training means a calorie surplus.

I was thinking of doing alternate days of running and then weights. Does anyone have any advice for types/how much food I should eat?

Or is this situation an unreachable utopia?
    Technically you don't need a calorific surplus for muscle gain, you need a nitric surplus, i.e. eat a LOT of protein. Sadly, I'm not much of a distance runner, so can't say much more than that :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry cucumber)
    Having run a marathon, it's incredibly tiring, you'd have to be very smart in your programming. I could have done perhaps 1 maybe 2 gym sessions if I cut my running to 4x a week rather than the 5x a week programme I did.

Good luck with your run mate
    Could you give me an idea of your training program for your running?

Having done two halfs before, all I am worried about it the distance.

What sort of distances were you doing weekly and how early did you start your training?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.