Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why do so many asians study Pharmacy? Watch

ReputationRep:
    It seems like all asians study pharmacy, why? I don't see how being a pharmacist would be better than being a dentist or a doctor.
    Interested to find out

ReputationRep:
    Some of them may not like the hands on of being a doctor or dentist, may not like the level of responsibility etc. Also, a number of them may be students who didn't have AAA for med/dent and used pharmacy as a 5th choice.
    With regards for why so many of them are asian, I dont have a clue.

ReputationRep:
    Many didn't make doctor/dentist grade
    Others are keeping parents happy.
    Some genuinely like it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I still have never met an Asian person (typically middle-eastern) who doesn't want to study engineering, a science, law, business, accounting, dentistry and medicine -.-

My friends told me it's to do with the fact that the courses are well respected and kind of brings honour to the family.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ggmu!)
    Many didn't make doctor/dentist grade
    Others are keeping parents happy.
    Some genuinely like it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Why would being a pharmacist keep your parents happy

ReputationRep:
    Because many are pushed by their parents to do so?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alevelzzz)
    Why would being a pharmacist keep your parents happy
    Scientific degree, well known in Asian community. I hear it all the time 'xxx is doing pharmacy at xxx he/she is a clever boy/girl'

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ggmu!)
    Scientific degree, well known in Asian community. I hear it all the time 'xxx is doing pharmacy at xxx he/she is a clever boy/girl'

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hope this doesn't offend anyone, but you don't have to be very academically able to get into pharmacy. Every man and his dog is doing it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teen1234)
    Hope this doesn't offend anyone, but you don't have to be very academically able to get into pharmacy. Every man and his dog is doing it.
    I know, it's nothing special.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ggmu!)
    I know, it's nothing special.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    So is dentistry/medicine the most well regarded degrees in the asian community?

ReputationRep:
    nah. it's nothing special. Every asian and his dog is a doctor/dentist

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChickenMadness)
    But medicine/dentistry requires AAA and theres ~10 applicants per place? Pretty hard

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kkboyk)
    I still have never met an Asian person (typically middle-eastern) who doesn't want to study engineering, a science, law, business, accounting, dentistry and medicine -.-

My friends told me it's to do with the fact that the courses are well respected and kind of brings honour to the family.
    If they wanted to do that, why not wear white make up and a dress? Much cheaper tbh.

ReputationRep:
    But medicine/dentistry requires AAA and theres ~10 applicants per place? Pretty hard
    Nah but seriously though. So many Asian families have doctors in them it's not even special lol.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, overall. Obviously not all asian parents fit the stereotype, but it's an overall trend.

(Original post by ChickenMadness)
    Its still special just not rare imo

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ggmu!)
    Yes, overall. Obviously not all asian parents fit the stereotype, but it's an overall trend.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Is dentistry and medicine equally prestigious in asian families? From what I've gathered they're viewed equally

ReputationRep:
    this is why
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goldie56)
    If they wanted to do that, why not wear white make up and a dress? Much cheaper tbh.

You're asking the wrong person.

ReputationRep:
    What type of Asians are you talking about? South Asian?

I'm from a South Asian area in London, so I know how it is. I can say that for the students who take Science A-Levels, a large number of them will aim for Pharmacy. Obviously the ones that are clever enough to do so will apply, and they'll most likely apply to places like KCL and UCL.

Pharmacy is a vocational degree, so you're definitely getting a job after the degree. I think that's what people like, job security. Plus, my traditional South Asian mum looks up to pharmacists, so I'm sure most South Asian parents feel the same way about them. They don't know how the education system works. They think it's rather difficult to get into Pharmacy at university, when it's really not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnharM)
    What type of Asians are you talking about? South Asian?

I'm from a South Asian area in London, so I know how it is. I can say that for the students who take Science A-Levels, a large number of them will aim for Pharmacy. Obviously the ones that are clever enough to do so will apply, and they'll most likely apply to places like KCL and UCL.

Pharmacy is a vocational degree, so you're definitely getting a job after the degree. I think that's what people like, job security. Plus, my traditional South Asian mum looks up to pharmacists, so I'm sure most South Asian parents feel the same way about them. They don't know how the education system works. They think it's rather difficult to get into Pharmacy at university, when it's really not.
    lol, you clearly dont know much about pharmacy. They're opening pharmacy schools left right and centre, government doesn't control student numbers and so anywhere can open a pharmacy school. This is why the entry standards are stupidly low at some schools.
    Heck, even UCL/KCL has AAB entry requirements, a lot of people getting lower.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.