Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    HI i have an interview but worried as it says shifts. I have a 14 year old son and im a single mum, no family to help, so leaving him over night is out of the question. I have emailed my interviewer and expressed my concerns. Although i have stated i can work 8am til 6pm and dont mind weekends. Does anyone else work as an HCA and do you know if they can work around you as far as hours if you have children? Any info would be very much appreciated. Also do you enjoy the job? Many thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scoob79)
    HI i have an interview but worried as it says shifts. I have a 14 year old son and im a single mum, no family to help, so leaving him over night is out of the question. I have emailed my interviewer and expressed my concerns. Although i have stated i can work 8am til 6pm and dont mind weekends. Does anyone else work as an HCA and do you know if they can work around you as far as hours if you have children? Any info would be very much appreciated. Also do you enjoy the job? Many thanks.
    I don't think you would be expected to work internal rotation - especially as you have already brought it up.

You will definitely be needed during the day and at weekends.

If they turn their noses up at you go onto the staff bank and then you can pick and choose your hours

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou for replying, thats very helpful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scoob79)
    I work as a HCA and where I work some people are able to choose their shift patterns although, I am sure on every hospital it is different. It's worth asking though. Some people do early halves which are (7:30am till 2:30pm). It's worth ringing them up, as emailing may take longer to receive a reply and like the person above, bank shifts seem a better option hunnie.

I enjoy my job a lot. 12 hour shifts go quite quickly(not all the time). But you end up enjoying it x

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I know a lot of those jobs they wont allow you to pick and choose your shifts, it is for a good reason as if you allow one person to not work nights then that means someone else has to pick up those shifts, no one wants to work the night shifts so it's unfair to force others to work extra and to be honest they will be able to find someone who is more flexible

obviously others have said their workplace does make allowances so I'm not saying it's a lost cause, but don't get your hopes up and if the advert stated night work then you will be expected to do night shifts

also, not wanting to work nights due to childcare is one thing but I doubt they will want a HCA who can only work between 8 and 6 as that is unlikely to fit into a shift pattern and just isn't very long, a lot of care assistant type jobs will have long shifts (12 hours is very common) so before you speak to them about availability you might want to think about how flexible you can be

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.