Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've read somewhere that offers for IB students are based on HL subject performance but I'm still wondering if it'll help to have more traditional/respected subjects for all my choices.

I'm interested in going into architecture and so I've decided on Physics, Math and Visual Arts HL. These choices seemed pretty no-brainer, and I'm pretty good at all of the subjects, so I don't think I'll consider other HLs.

I find all the standard level courses interesting in their own ways I guess. But I'm wondering if it'd make a difference if I pick "easier" options like ESS over History/Geography, or EngL&L over EngLit? Does a language B in one language look better than a.b. in another?

I'd enjoy all the subjects I pick regardless, and plan to work really hard over the next two years so I can get into a great uni. For now I'm sort of leaning towards "traditional" SLs since I don't think I'll necessarily do better in "less academic" subjects. (Am I wrong in thinking this?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Piergest)
    I've read somewhere that offers for IB students are based on HL subject performance but I'm still wondering if it'll help to have more traditional/respected subjects for all my choices.

I'm interested in going into architecture and so I've decided on Physics, Math and Visual Arts HL. These choices seemed pretty no-brainer, and I'm pretty good at all of the subjects, so I don't think I'll consider other HLs.

I find all the standard level courses interesting in their own ways I guess. But I'm wondering if it'd make a difference if I pick "easier" options like ESS over History/Geography, or EngL&L over EngLit? Does a language B in one language look better than a.b. in another?

I'd enjoy all the subjects I pick regardless, and plan to work really hard over the next two years so I can get into a great uni. For now I'm sort of leaning towards "traditional" SLs since I don't think I'll necessarily do better in "less academic" subjects. (Am I wrong in thinking this?)
    Like you said yourself, Universities only give offers based on your higher level subjects. So, taking less academic subjects at standard level won't hinder your chances at most universities. Take whatever subjects you'd like to at standard level. Taking easier subjects will be really helpful to you because you'll have more time to focus on your higher level subjects (which are EXTREMELY hard btw). And no, language B isn't more respected than ab initio. There is very little difference between literature and lang&lit that most universities don't recognise it. If you want to take ESS, Language Ab initio and Lang&lit by all means go ahead. Just so you know, the only subject that qualifies as *soft* from the above mentioned list is ESS.

Good Luck!

ReputationRep:
    Your IB offer is based on overall points score for your diploma, with specific grades in your HL subjects, some of which are also specified e.g. A 5 in maths. So you could be asked for 35 points with 655 in your HL subjects, with the 6 in maths, as an example.

Make sure you have the appropriate subjects for your course at the universities of interest, and you should be fine. Nothing is really 'soft' in IB as it is much more difficult than A-Levels, and it doesn't matter which language you choose as none are seen as superior to another.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.