Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

MattyR2895's gym blog! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Been meaning to make a gym blog for a while now, so here I go.
    Currently running the Jason Blaha 5x5 programme. I'm about 2 months in and loving it. I'm stronger then I ever have been. That being said, I've been training now for a year and a half to two years, so my numbers are way below what they should be, primarily due to me following the usual bro science bs during my first year. It's my mission now to get my numbers up to where they should be.

Link to 5x5 programme layout for anyone who's interested: http://www.muscleandstrength.com/wor...novice-workout

Current stats:
    Body Weight: 176lbs/80kg
    Body Fat: no i deer, I'd estimate around 16-19%
    Height: 5'8.5

Current max lifts (over 5 sets):
    Squat: 130kg 5/3/3/3/3
    Paused Bench: 82.5kg 5/5/5/5/5
    Deadlift: 127.5kg (1x5)
    Paused Press: 60kg 5/5/2/3/2
    Barbell Row: 77.5kg 5/5/4/3/3

Primary goals: to gain strength, more specifically, a 140kg squat, a 100kg bench, and a 180kg deadlift.

Secondary goals: to get bigger. Tired of being skinny. Never had abs, and don't really care if I never get them, I just want to get big shoulders, legs, chest and back Obviously I want to keep my body fat in check as well, so long as my belly isn't sticking out when I wear a shirt, I'm good, haha.

Also, as you can see in my pics, I have quite a severe acne problem on my back. Hopefully I can see some improvement in that department too (yes, that is my acne medication in the blue box at the end of my bed, haha).

Looking forward to blogging my progress on this programme, and hopefully hitting plenty of PRs.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    yesterday's workout (11/07/14)

something seemed a bit off about yesterdays workout. I got an easy 122.5kg for 5x5 on the squat, and a PR on the deadlift of 127.5 (although I'm PRing pretty much everytime I deadlift, since I've only really started doing them since beginning this programme). However, I seemed a bit lazy on the press. I got 5/5/2/3/2 with 60kg, which is still a PR for me, however I got more reps on the 4th set then the 3rd, which makes me think I could have done a little better. BB rows felt good, 67.5for 5x5.
    I'll have another go at the press next Wednesday, and hopefully, even if I don't get 5x5, I'll get more reps than in this workout.

ReputationRep:
    in, similar stats to myself at present.

nice lifts to start with, only the deadlift seems proportionately pretty weak. Similar goals to me, we actually have a 100kg bench competition running att http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2698343 and I'm the only one currently active in the 100kg crew because the rest are on ramadan.

acne on back, must be on dat dere

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattyR2895)
    and a PR on the deadlift of 127.5 (although I'm PRing pretty much everytime I deadlift, since I've only really started doing them since beginning this programme). However, I seemed a bit lazy on the press. I got 5/5/2/3/2 with 60kg, which is still a PR for me, however I got more reps on the 4th set then the 3rd, which makes me think I could have done a little better.
    I'll have another go at the press next Wednesday, and hopefully, even if I don't get 5x5, I'll get more reps than in this workout.
    Yep lower body lifts progress pretty fast. I put 100kg on my deadlift in 6 months don't be afraid to jump up 5kg on it if it feels really easy.

As for the press, have you considered dropping the weight by 2.5kg if you fail a set. ie 5/5/2 at 80, then go to 57.5 for the last 2 sets. Helps keep up slightly higher volume you want for hypertrophy.

tbh that's what I've found gives me the best progress for the compounds when I fail a set, drop down 2.5kg and get 5 reps again, rather than struggling to get 2/3 reps for the remaining sets.

ReputationRep:

Secondary goals: to get bigger. Tired of being skinny. Never had abs, and don't really care if I never get them, I just want to get big shoulders, legs, chest and back
    Do you have a prior pic? How long has it taken you to gain some muscles?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illusionz)
    Yep lower body lifts progress pretty fast. I put 100kg on my deadlift in 6 months don't be afraid to jump up 5kg on it if it feels really easy.

As for the press, have you considered dropping the weight by 2.5kg if you fail a set. ie 5/5/2 at 80, then go to 57.5 for the last 2 sets. Helps keep up slightly higher volume you want for hypertrophy.

tbh that's what I've found gives me the best progress for the compounds when I fail a set, drop down 2.5kg and get 5 reps again, rather than struggling to get 2/3 reps for the remaining sets.
    Hey, thanks for posing.
    I'm a programme nazi, and you're supposed to use the same weight for all sets, even if you fail, seems to be working so far, I couldn't even get 60kg for 2 reps with bad form before starting the programme. Thanks for the suggestion though

ReputationRep:
    Hey, thanks for posing.
    I'm a programme nazi, and you're supposed to use the same weight for all sets, even if you fail, seems to be working so far, I couldn't even get 60kg for 2 reps with bad form before starting the programme. Thanks for the suggestion though
    In that case you're supposed to deload 15% rounded down to nearest weight if you fail to get a 5x5 2 weeks in a row

Problem with 5x5 on the press is that as a movement progression is slow (for everyone). You simply won't be able to sustain adding 2.5kg onto the bar and get 5x5 in 2 workouts.

Many people here have found faster progression lowering weight for remaining sets than sticking to the routine strictly and deloading. Your call though, you know what works for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kka25)
    Do you have a prior pic? How long has it taken you to gain some muscles?
    I don't have any shirtless before pics I'm afraid, but I'll look for some pictures where I look particularly skinny. When I was 16, before I started working out, I was around 8 stone/115lbs, so you can imagine how skinny I was.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illusionz)
    In that case you're supposed to deload 15% rounded down to nearest weight if you fail to get a 5x5 2 weeks in a row

Problem with 5x5 on the press is that as a movement progression is slow (for everyone). You simply won't be able to sustain adding 2.5kg onto the bar and get 5x5 in 2 workouts.

Many people here have found faster progression lowering weight for remaining sets than sticking to the routine strictly and deloading. Your call though, you know what works for you.
    yep, that was my first time on that weight on the programme, so I've got one more go at it, and if I fail, I'll reset. It seems to be working. I did fail on 57.5kg, I think I got 5/3/3/3/3, then after resetting and working back up, I got 5x5 relatively easily.

ReputationRep:
    Today's workout (14/07/14)

A relatively easy 125kg for 5x5 on squats. Failed on the bench with 85kg (5/4/3/3/3), however it's still a PR for me, and I'll try to improve next Friday. NTS: take full 5 min rest between sets next time. PR on barbell row of 77.5kg for 5x5.
    Also, I can feel my grip improving, I could hold 107.5kg for 3x8 on shrugs without having to drop the bar and pick it back up again.
    Overall, good workout, even with the failed bench.

ReputationRep:
    In, good lifts mate and a very good foundation for aesthetics.

ReputationRep:
    Today's workout (16/07/14)

127.5kg squats for 5x5, and 130kg deadlift for 1x5, both reletively easy. Failed on press with 60kg (4/3/2/3/3), so I'll have to reset back down to 52.5kg next time. BB row 5x5 with 67.5kg.
    On a positive note, I increased my close grip bench by 2.5 kg, to 67.5, and it still felt rather light, for 3x8

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AreebWithaHat)
    In, good lifts mate and a very good foundation for aesthetics.
    hey thanks for posting and thanks for the compliment

ReputationRep:
    Today's workout (18/07/14)

Great workout, got 130kg on the squat for a clean 5x5, failed on the pause bench, but still got more reps than last time with 85kg (5/5/4/3/3), failed on the BB row too, but that was expected, with 80kg.
    Loving this programme, moving weight higher than my 1rm from just a couple of months ago for multiple reps and sets.

ReputationRep:
    In. Miring your legs, great definition.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a10)
    In. Miring your legs, great definition.
    Wouldn't say they're that defined, haha. Thanks anyway

ReputationRep:
    Yesterday's workout (21/07/14)

New squat PR with 132.5kgs for 5x5, also the most weight I've ever lifted
    Deadlifts also with 132.5kgs, for a set of 5.
    I reset my press back down to 52.5kgs, really focusing on squeezing my core so as not to lean back as much. And then BB rows with 70kgs for 5x5. Overall good workout.
    I've also increased some strength on my incline curls, up to 17.5kgs, 2 sets of 8, and then failed at 4 on the 3rd set.

ReputationRep:
    Yesterday's workout (21/07/14)

New squat PR with 132.5kgs for 5x5, also the most weight I've ever lifted
    Deadlifts also with 132.5kgs, for a set of 5.
    I reset my press back down to 52.5kgs, really focusing on squeezing my core so as not to lean back as much. And then BB rows with 70kgs for 5x5. Overall good workout.
    I've also increased some strength on my incline curls, up to 17.5kgs, 2 sets of 8, and then failed at 4 on the 3rd set.
    those incline curls are hard as ***

ReputationRep:
    Today's workout (23/07/14)

Squat fail @ 135kg, but still a new pr (5/5/4/3/3). Bench reset back down to 75kg, for 5x5. BB row fail @ 80kg too, time to reset.

Going to be cutting my workouts shorter from now on, taking out shrugs, skull crushers, curls and hypers, because they seem to just increase the time of an already long workout.

ReputationRep:
    Today's workout (23/07/14)

Squat fail @ 135kg, but still a new pr (5/5/4/3/3). Bench reset back down to 75kg, for 5x5. BB row fail @ 80kg too, time to reset.

Going to be cutting my workouts shorter from now on, taking out shrugs, skull crushers, curls and hypers, because they seem to just increase the time of an already long workout.
    so you're doing stronglifts then?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 30, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.