The Student Room Group

Any other musicians on tsr?

What instrument(s) do you play?
When did you start playing and what sort of thing do you play?
Do you play in a band/ensemble?

This thread doesn't really have a point tbh, I'm just a bit bored. Personally I play Violin Piano and Guitar. I would say I can play them all to a fairly competent level. Started Piano quite young and then moved on to Guitar and Violin in my early teens. On Piano and Violin I mainly play Classical stuff but on Guitar I play a variety (a lot of bluesy stuff). What about everyone else?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by JFens

This thread doesn't really have a point tbh, I'm just a bit bored. Personally I play Violin Piano and Guitar. I would say I can play them all to a fairly competent level. Started Piano quite young and then moved on to Guitar and Violin in my early teens. On Piano and Violin I mainly play Classical stuff but on Guitar I play a variety (a lot of bluesy stuff). What about everyone else?

I play piano and cello, started piano when I was 11 and cello at 14 (17 now). Mostly I just play classical grade pieces and pop/show music for orchestra and string group at school. I don't have much time for practice which is sad.

Violins are cool. Although I prefer cellos :smug: Are you in a band?
I play guitar and piano. I am competent at best on piano, but I can play almost anything on a guitar. I've played guitar since I was 14, and piano since 17; I'm 24 now. My lacking ability in piano is mostly due to moving away for uni and of course not being able to practice!

I was in a band from 17 to 19, and we were actually pretty popular in our area. We played 'rock music', but each song wasn't usually that straight forward. I haven't been in a band since, but I'd like to start one up again. The issue I have is most (almost all) other musicians I know would want to have some all-out metal band, whereas I'd prefer something a bit more toned down and.. well, musical. For the sorts of music I like to play, check out Guthrie Govan, Ron Thal, Shawn Lane, Steve Vai. If I were in a band I wouldn't mind more song-based music, though.
I play guitar and have done so since I was 8 ish, up until I was 12 I played classical music and then after I stopped my lessons I've played guitar for fun. I usually just play songs and sing along but I have written a few songs as well :grin:
Reply 4
Original post by Kigh
I play piano and cello, started piano when I was 11 and cello at 14 (17 now). Mostly I just play classical grade pieces and pop/show music for orchestra and string group at school. I don't have much time for practice which is sad.

Violins are cool. Although I prefer cellos :smug: Are you in a band?

Oh cool, I have a friend who plays Cello. I used to play in a string ensemble at my school but stopped going after a while as I found a bit boring. I jam with mates occasionally as well.
Original post by JFens

I play violin too!
Started in Year 6 and I can play a 'variety' of pieces. I depends on the level/grade, the notes & positions and the pace (I find quicker pieces more difficult).
Yeah I play for an orchestra, in school though. :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I can play the piano, accordion and dabble half-heartedly in the guitar. Probably the most proficient in piano since I've been playing for about 6 years now. Used to do grades but now I just play whatever takes my fancy :tongue:
Reply 7
Original post by MidnightDream
I play guitar and have done so since I was 8 ish, up until I was 12 I played classical music and then after I stopped my lessons I've played guitar for fun. I usually just play songs and sing along but I have written a few songs as well :grin:

Oh cool, You started playing fairly early then? Was it more your own choice to start playing Guitar or did your parents encourage you to start?
Reply 8
Original post by JFens
Oh cool, I have a friend who plays Cello. I used to play in a string ensemble at my school but stopped going after a while as I found a bit boring. I jam with mates occasionally as well.

Ah I love cello. Wish I was better though :moon: The ensembles are not incredibly exciting but they're compulsory because I do A level music. Although phantom of the opera has a nice cello part.

That's cool. None of my friends play instruments so I can't do that. :unimpressed:
Original post by JFens
Oh cool, You started playing fairly early then? Was it more your own choice to start playing Guitar or did your parents encourage you to start?

My parents idea, my mother's to be exact, I was the sporty girl I didn't really want to play any instruments, I was stubborn for quite a while but after a while I began to love it and now I love it more than anything and I'm thankful my parents didn't let me quit :yep:
Reply 10
Original post by geodawson
I can play the piano, accordion and dabble half-heartedly in the guitar. Probably the most proficient in piano since I've been playing for about 6 years now. Used to do grades but now I just play whatever takes my fancy :tongue:

Only thing I know about Accordion is that it ways a f**king tonne LOL
Reply 11
I've played classical guitar since I was pretty young. I only ever play grade pieces though. It's a shame I don't practice more really.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JFens
Only thing I know about Accordion is that it ways a f**king tonne LOL

Hahahaha it's SO heavy :rolleyes:
Clarinet and piano, though I can sing. Have been in a choir and an orchestra, and performed at house events (soloist in vocals, accompanist on piano) auditioned for a world music group for all three instruments.
Original post by MidnightDream

are you ever tempted to go back to classical? did you reach any grades?
Original post by econam
I've played classical guitar since I was pretty young. I only ever play grade pieces though. It's a shame I don't practice more really.

Posted from TSR Mobile

try to practice a little now and then would be a shame to completely lose that skill
Guitar and harmonica
Original post by The_Last_Melon
are you ever tempted to go back to classical? did you reach any grades?

Nope, occasionally I'll play some classical but I don't miss it, I was supposed to take my grade 2 at the start of Y8 (I'd skipped grade 1) but I had stopped lessons by then anyway :laugh:
I play the sax, been playing off and on for around 4 years.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply