Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I have an all-in-one printer, and it has been of good service for 2 years.

However, it randomly stopped working yesterday - in the sense that my PC is not recognizing the device. At first, I change the USB port and it worked... but then now, it is not even working

Before replacing the wire perhaps, what diagnostics should I undertake?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by po10tial)
    Hi,

However, it randomly stopped working yesterday - in the sense that my PC is not recognizing the device. At first, I change the USB port and it worked... but then now, it is not even working

assuming you're on windows;

go to device manager
    (computer>control panel>hardware and sound>device manager)

locate printer in list of devices

if you can see the printer:

check to see that there are no exclamation marks or question marks on the icon of the printer

if there are try reinstalling or updating the driver by right clicking it

if that doesn't work try reinstalling the driver from the disc that came with the printer if you have it, if not look on the manufacturers website

if you can't see the printer:

check connection of usb is firm and printer is powered on

check your taskbar to see if your computer is trying to install the drivers, or if it has failed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by po10tial)
    Hi,

Uninstall all the drivers and reinstall them (there are newer ones on the website than on the CD)

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 17, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.