Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, so I was looking at another thread on TSR where someone was posting last years courses for Clearing. Now I know the basic concepts of it, but I was amazed at how many courses were on offer, and some of such high stature, which has given me a few questions. Now I've looked around a little however afaik this isn't on the forum yet, if it is and I missed it.. Sorry.

So lets say you applied for a course, however your grades weren't good enough so you're in Clearing. My question is, how important are PS's and could you rewrite them for Clearing? Ie say you realised that you cannot get onto a course your PS is about at all, you would struggle to get into another type of course, correct? Or do Uni's not care about PS's in Clearing?

Also, are courses given on like a first-come-first-served basis? Ie do you phone the Uni up, they check grades (and PS?) and if they like you or not accept/deny you then and there, or will they wait a while for all applications and choose who they want?

Thanks
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Just because a course is in Clearing doesn't mean they have loads of spaces. They may only want a couple of applicants. There are also people in Clearing who missed an AAA (or higher) offer, so they will have grades of AAB (or higher). So the courses of "high stature" may only be looking for one candidate who was rejected by Oxbridge for not getting a high enough grade on STEP.

Personal statements aren't as important, as unis don't really have enough time to read them. But it does depend on the uni - they could use it at the last minute, when they've already reduced applicant numbers and screened people out for grades etc. You'll also probably have to speak to the admissions tutor and persuade them you're passionate about the course and worth giving a place to, and a personal statement can help to clarify your thoughts. If they ask why you want it, you won't impress them by going "um, er, well, my sister's friend did the course" - and obviously, you can't go back in time when you're kicking yourself later! It's also easy to forget things when you're under pressure, so having a list of relevant work experience or extra curricular activities to refer to will help you not sound silly when you say you did something in June but later realise it was in December.

It's not fully first come first served, but unis don't wait around forever either. You'll probably phone up and speak to someone who just takes your details and qualifications. They will know what the uni is looking for, so can say no if you don't meet that but can't give a definite yes. If you meet their requirements you'll get a call or email to discuss things further.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    Just because a course is in Clearing doesn't mean they have loads of spaces. They may only want a couple of applicants. There are also people in Clearing who missed an AAA (or higher) offer, so they will have grades of AAB (or higher). So the courses of "high stature" may only be looking for one candidate who was rejected by Oxbridge for not getting a high enough grade on STEP.

Personal statements aren't as important, as unis don't really have enough time to read them. But it does depend on the uni - they could use it at the last minute, when they've already reduced applicant numbers and screened people out for grades etc. You'll also probably have to speak to the admissions tutor and persuade them you're passionate about the course and worth giving a place to, and a personal statement can help to clarify your thoughts. If they ask why you want it, you won't impress them by going "um, er, well, my sister's friend did the course" - and obviously, you can't go back in time when you're kicking yourself later! It's also easy to forget things when you're under pressure, so having a list of relevant work experience or extra curricular activities to refer to will help you not sound silly when you say you did something in June but later realise it was in December.

It's not fully first come first served, but unis don't wait around forever either. You'll probably phone up and speak to someone who just takes your details and qualifications. They will know what the uni is looking for, so can say no if you don't meet that but can't give a definite yes. If you meet their requirements you'll get a call or email to discuss things further.
    Ahh I see, thanks for your help
    One last question, does Clearing last for days, weeks, months or what..?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AdamCee)
    Ahh I see, thanks for your help
    One last question, does Clearing last for days, weeks, months or what..?
    All of the above.

Officially, Clearing lasts until September 20 (or something - it may have changed but it's usually around that date). However, most places will go quickly. So you're looking at dates to weeks for the best places to go (although this does depend on the course and your definition of "best").

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    All of the above.

Officially, Clearing lasts until September 20 (or something - it may have changed but it's usually around that date). However, most places will go quickly. So you're looking at dates to weeks for the best places to go (although this does depend on the course and your definition of "best").
    Ahh ok, I see. Thanks again

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.