Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you switch off the HVAC and radio? Watch

ReputationRep:
    How many of you switch off the HVAC and radio before shutting off the engine?

Why exactly do you do or don't do it?

ReputationRep:
    Always the HVAC but never really the radio... no idea why. I suppose not turning off the HVAC would make me feel like it's all backed up, you know like when a game on the PS3 freezes.

ReputationRep:
    No.

It all switches off when you take the key out.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Of course I always shut the windows!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Camoxide)
    No.

It all switches off when you take the key out.
    This.

ReputationRep:
    Nope, I will usually just turn down the radio though as I have it quite loud. When I use my car next, it nice to find it the way I like it. Rather like playing with the settings on a phone to your personal preference.

My dad doesn't like having either on, so if I know he's going to use the car then I will turn off the radio and turn down the air con.

What about you alfissti?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nemothefish19)
    Nope, I will usually just turn down the radio though as I have it quite loud. When I use my car next, it nice to find it the way I like it. Rather like playing with the settings on a phone to your personal preference.

My dad doesn't like having either on, so if I know he's going to use the car then I will turn off the radio and turn down the air con.

What about you alfissti?
    I can always tell when my dad has borrowed my car, because he always listens to radio 4. He's learnt to put the seat back, but putting a tape back in is too difficult

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nemothefish19)

What about you alfissti?
    I normally switch off the HVAC during the cold months as I don't like the cold air blowing first thing in the morning when I head out.

Radio, I prefer driving to the sound of silence

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    I can always tell when my dad has borrowed my car, because he always listens to radio 4. He's learnt to put the seat back, but putting a tape back in is too difficult
    Ha I can tell when I find my air con completely turned off! :unimpressed: and also my mirror and seat will be in a different position as there's a big height difference between us.

ReputationRep:
    The radio comes on at a set volume anyway, so it doesn't matter what volume it's set to when I switch off the engine. I just pull out the key and walk away. I always have the radio on so no need to turn it off, and I adjust the blower/heater accordingly when I get into the car next time.

ReputationRep:
    Switching all the stuff off before turning the engine off is a whole load of unnecessary button presses, especially as you'd need to switch it all back on again when you start the car up again! I do need to lower the volume on the radio otherwise I scare myself the next time!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 14, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.