The Student Room Group

Starting Uni. No money to move (deposit etc) until Student Finance comes through

Hi.

I am a mature student starting University in London in September and will have to move. For various reasons, there is no way that I can save the £1500 ish needed to pay for a deposit, rent in advance and living before my course starts. My student finance won't come through until a few days after I start the course and obviously I need to move before I start. I certainly need to give a deposit as early as possible.

Does anyone have any advice please?

Bursary/Grants etc from the university seem to only be available once you've started.

The university said that sometimes Student Finance can be flexible in certain circumstances (I guess maybe by paying early) - does any one have any experience of this?

Thank you
I've never heard of Student finance paying out early, but you'll have to call them to negotiate.

You can apply for a student bank account and use that interest free overdraft and then pay back the overdraft as soon as you get your student loan in.

But the majority of students seek initial financial support from their parents.
Reply 2
Original post by ErinH
Hi.

I am a mature student starting University in London in September and will have to move. For various reasons, there is no way that I can save the £1500 ish needed to pay for a deposit, rent in advance and living before my course starts. My student finance won't come through until a few days after I start the course and obviously I need to move before I start. I certainly need to give a deposit as early as possible.

Bursary/Grants etc from the university seem to only be available once you've started.

The university said that sometimes Student Finance can be flexible in certain circumstances (I guess maybe by paying early) - does any one have any experience of this?

Thank you

Is there any way you could lend some money off a friend or family member if you showed them confirmation of your payments from Student Finance?

Apart from that the only other options is to either sell things to try and raise the money or speak to your bank and see if they can give you a loan or overdraft.

If you open a few Student Accounts up you could easily get the money you require.
Reply 3
An overdraft?
Original post by ErinH
Hi.

Thank you

I've never heard of student finance paying out in advance, they need to be sure you've turned up and enrolled before they pay out. Any reason why your costs are so high? Most I've ever had to pay before moving in is £350 in a student place.

Anyway only options are
a) use student overdraft, different banks give different amounts at 0% interest free
b) Borrow from friends/family
c) Get a summer job and save up now

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending