Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got tips on how to paint well using acrylics? I can use them, I just never really thought about techniques and stuff

ReputationRep:
    Layering them thickly is a nice technique to use, also means they dry a little slower
    you can water them down and use them like watercolours
    You can create a textured background and work over - i like sand, bubble wrap, cardboard, texture wallpaper, newspaper etc.
    You can use a palette knife and that creates different marks
    you can scratch back into the painting with a pen/knife while the paint is still wet
    They dry fairly quickly so you can work over the top in other medias e.g. oil pastel, pen etc.
    Paint wet on wet
    using a dry brush instead of a wet one? -works particularly nicely over already layered paint
    splatter with brush? toothbrush?
    use a sponge?
    finger painting?
    hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spongebob0303)
    Layering them thickly is a nice technique to use, also means they dry a little slower
    you can water them down and use them like watercolours
    You can create a textured background and work over - i like sand, bubble wrap, cardboard, texture wallpaper, newspaper etc.
    You can use a palette knife and that creates different marks
    you can scratch back into the painting with a pen/knife while the paint is still wet
    They dry fairly quickly so you can work over the top in other medias e.g. oil pastel, pen etc.
    Paint wet on wet
    using a dry brush instead of a wet one? -works particularly nicely over already layered paint
    splatter with brush? toothbrush?
    use a sponge?
    finger painting?
    hope this helps
    brilliant reply- thanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.