Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How likely are my chances of swapping from a Primary PGCE to Secondary PGCE? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've literally always wanted to be a Primary school teacher. I applied for PGCEs in December last year and have secured a place starting September 2014. However, since applying, I got a job as a TA in a secondary school and have been working there for 7 months. I absolutely love it and I'm now really regretting my decision to do primary.

I don't want to give up my place for a number of reasons - mainly because I've already taken a year out after uni, I don't want the risk of giving up a place and then not getting in next year, and equally the possibility of having a year doing nothing worthwhile.

I have a 2:1 history degree (and would be confident to have R.E/Geography as second subjects), have passed both of my professional skills tests and have waaaay more experience doing secondary than primary.

I realise I've left this ridiculously late.. but what are my chances of swapping courses come September?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x.Emma)
    I've literally always wanted to be a Primary school teacher. I applied for PGCEs in December last year and have secured a place starting September 2014. However, since applying, I got a job as a TA in a secondary school and have been working there for 7 months. I absolutely love it and I'm now really regretting my decision to do primary.

I don't want to give up my place for a number of reasons - mainly because I've already taken a year out after uni, I don't want the risk of giving up a place and then not getting in next year, and equally the possibility of having a year doing nothing worthwhile.

I have a 2:1 history degree (and would be confident to have R.E/Geography as second subjects), have passed both of my professional skills tests and have waaaay more experience doing secondary than primary.

I realise I've left this ridiculously late.. but what are my chances of swapping courses come September?
    From my understanding, you're only allowed to submit one GTTR application each year. If you withdraw your application, you'd have to wait until applications open for September 2015 entry to reapply.

I'd recommend calling GTTR and seeing if they can 'release' you from your chosen offer, allowing you to use Apply 2 to send an application for a PGCE in History. This may not be possible though, and even if it is, I'm guessing your personal statement is centred around primary education, rather than secondary?

If you're sure you'd rather teach secondary, I'd go with reapplying next year. An extra year is not a lot compared to the 40+ years of working life you have ahead of you.

BTW - I took a gap year before I went to university, and took one in-between my second and final year, and if I don't get an offer for this September, it looks like I'll be taking another year. Don't worry about age.

Good luck.

ReputationRep:

History pgces are ridiculously competitive so your chances are minimal. Look on UCAS course search and see what pgce/SCITT/schools direct places are left for sept. If there are any, contact them and see if they will accept an application through apply 2. You will need to give up your primary place to do this though.

ReputationRep:

I agree with Shelly- I had my doubts about primary too, so in the end waited a year to apply for PGCE secondary (I have a 2:1 in History as well and had worked in a secondary school for a year). I applied to Roehampton and there were 13 spaces and over 200 applicants. I got an interview but no place, this was when the teaching applications were old school, so one application at a time. By the time my application was passed to IOE it was for a waiting list- they had already filled up spaces and there were 20 people being interviewed for 2 waiting list places..... it is so competitive. I moved to London and ended up working in a primary school this year and love it. I applied for primary this year, and I got in and to be honest I couldn't be happier! I'm excited about teaching History as well as Geography and Science and all the other subjects. Please really think about it because you would need to wait until next year to apply. There will be no spaces now. Best of luck to you though, I don't want to put you off. :-D Also I took two gap years in the end, i'm 25 now but I feel happy with this age. xx

ReputationRep:
    It may be worth contacting the uni's you are interested in directly and enquiring about this and also checking the GTTR to see which ones still have places on their courses. That way you will get a direct answer immediately as to whether you can apply to them.
    I have to say though, I had a place on Secondary English and I wanted to switch to Primary but I had to release my place and couldn't get on the course until the following year so it is risky.
    Having said that, the year working and the year doing the PGCE both went really quickly and I'm so glad I didn't just do the English course for the sake of getting the PGCE done and dusted.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.