Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Health, benefits and becoming a student - advice needed Watch

    • Thread Starter

    Hi all,

    This is quite a hard question to answer I guess, I have read through a few posts but I can only seem to find conflicting information... So I hope someone will be able to give me some helpful information.

    I have a few life long chronic medical conditions, cluster headaches, bipolar disorder and mobility issues. I have to carry an oxygen supply close by, autoinjectors and I moderate mobility problems with different pain killers and walking aids.

    I have been on DLA and ESA (Support Group) for about 3 years. I get full care component and lower mobility of DLA and I have an indefinite award. I get ESA with the severe disability premium.

    I am starting uni this September, it is partly a therapeutic thing, trying to make some positive changes after being stuck in a cycle of depression and mania for years. Going to uni is important to me and I really do not care if I lose my benefits.

    I was under the impression that I would have to forfeit ESA, but after reading a few posts on here, it seems that I will be able to keep some ESA. Some people have said that I would be subject to questioning about my ability to do a full time course, yet not be fit for work?

    If that is true and the DWP drag me in for an assessment, then I think I would rather not bother because I would rather do without the stress of fighting for it and maybe having to go to an appeal etc. I wouldn't want the stress of that to impact on my studies.

    I guess that I will be able to keep DLA, after all, my illnesses still exist, and DLA is not an out of work benefit, wasn't it designed to help people with disabilities get through life whatever their situation may be?

    I was awarded the Special Support Grant but I haven't applied for DSA yet, but I have an appointment with the uni's disability support team next Tuesday.

    Has any had any experience of starting uni whilst being on benefits? What happened to you?

    Any help or advice would be great!
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

    Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

    Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.