Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi Im new here and would appreciate any help that you can provide.

Im currently 17 and finishing my A levels and am in a country outside the eu to only study for my A levels. I have completed my GCSE's in the UK but went back to my country with my dad to do my A levels as he believed i would learn better due to the cheaper cost of home tutoring. So my question to you is if i come back to the UK as soon as I'm done with my A levels will i be eligible for student finance noting that i already have an indefinite leave to remain and was not old enough to live by myself without my dad. Prior to me leaving i lived in the UK for about 3 and a half years which compared to the 2 year absence due to my minor status and inability to live by myself is a shorter time. I hope you can answer my question quickly and i would really appreciate any help you can provide and am open to answer as many more question you need. Note that my father already has a permanent residence permit like myself and my mum is already a citizen with a passport. Thanks. also if you could tell me if i require any evidence of my dads work as i had to go due to family reasons mainly my sisters university and my whole family left. i could not be left alone although i didnt want to leave so i was wondering if there was a special exception for those who came to the country as soon as they were 18 and could live by themselves? And if i was perhaps exempted from the three year rule due to these reason and my minority status? Again thanks for any help you can provide.

ReputationRep:
    Bump

ReputationRep:
    Bump
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hi Jnee,

As you hold indefinite leave to remain you would be eligible to apply for finance, however you would need to provide evidence to confirm the reasons for your temporary break in residency. This would be evidence that you had to leave the UK with your father due to work reasons or compelling personal reasons.

For work your father can provide a contract of employment, if you had to leave due to your age and were not legally allowed to stay you can also provide evidence of this.

Thanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.