Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

who are the best people to include as a reference on my CV? Watch

• Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    which people are best for references on CV's? I already have one who is a teacher who taught me for gcse and a level but i need someone else. what other people can i ask?

ReputationRep:
    If you have had a previous job, then you can obviously put them down as a reference. If not, another character reference will do, they can be anyone that's known you for 2+ years; usually best to put someone who had a job in a place of importance. E.g. manager, doctor etc.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tgwktm)
    which people are best for references on CV's? I already have one who is a teacher who taught me for gcse and a level but i need someone else. what other people can i ask?

You don't put referee details on a CV and you don't give referee details until the employer asks you to. That way you can decide the best referee according to the job eg for PC World, ask your IT teacher, for work in a kids summer camp as your PE teacher.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SharpenedPencils)
    If you have had a previous job, then you can obviously put them down as a reference. If not, another character reference will do, they can be anyone that's known you for 2+ years; usually best to put someone who had a job in a place of importance. E.g. manager, doctor etc.
    what about my supervisor for work experience i did last year? i did it at a school but that person is now head teacher

ReputationRep:
    what about my supervisor for work experience i did last year? i did it at a school but that person is now head teacher
    Yes that's good, but please make sure you ask their permission before putting them down as a reference.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thegodofgod)
    Yes that's good, but please make sure you ask their permission before putting them down as a reference.
    I will, i'll email them next week

ReputationRep:
    Thats a good person to put.
    Failing everything else, you can also put someone down as a character reference who knows you, such as a family friend. As long as they arent related to you then thats fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    You don't put referee details on a CV and you don't give referee details until the employer asks you to. That way you can decide the best referee according to the job eg for PC World, ask your IT teacher, for work in a kids summer camp as your PE teacher.
    I was always toldat college to put them on my CV, as apparently it looks "lazy" if you dont and just put something along the lines of references available on request.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma:-))
    I was always toldat college to put them on my CV, as apparently it looks "lazy" if you dont and just put something along the lines of references available on request.

I'm afraid that is nonsense, references are always available on request - that's how they are given, the employer requests them! The fact you have references is valueless to an employer. It is like saying 'will wear a suit to interview'. It's a complete waste of space that you could be using to put in another bullet point that makes you more competitive.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.