Would 4 A-Levels and an EPQ be too much?

Watch
girlinthechair
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi, I'm starting college in September and I'm going to take English Literature, Media and History at A-Level. I'm predicted AAA in all of them at GCSE (well, the equivalent of an A in Media, as it's a BTEC). I'm also going to do an EPQ (extended project qualification) as well.

However, I've recently been considering taking A-Level French too. I'm predicted to get a high B at GCSE, and would love to become fluent in French one day.

So I just wanted to ask - would 4 A-Levels and an EPQ be too much? Thanks!
fnatic NateDestiel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'd say don't do the EPQ unless you can finish it before Summer..

You should see the workload I am doing...

But Media is a light A Level, unless you are going into media directly I wouldn't advise it.

GL
Bloxorus
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It will be fine if you're a hard worker. Loads of people at my school and I did 4 A levels and an EPQ and I know some that even did 5 A levels and an EPQ.
easyastau
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by girlinthechair)
Hi, I'm starting college in September and I'm going to take English Literature, Media and History at A-Level. I'm predicted AAA in all of them at GCSE (well, the equivalent of an A in Media, as it's a BTEC). I'm also going to do an EPQ (extended project qualification) as well.

However, I've recently been considering taking A-Level French too. I'm predicted to get a high B at GCSE, and would love to become fluent in French one day.

Hi, I'm going to be doing four A-levels and the EPQ in September. Personally, I don't think it will be too much if you keep up with work outside of school and make use of free periods etc. I'm also doing quite a bit of the EPQ research over the holidays so that's an option too. Good luck!
gr8wizard10
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The workload should be fairly manageable, depends on how much effort you're willing to put it.
MrBowcat
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

4 A levels and an EPQ will be perfectly fine, that's exactly what I did and I was studying maths, further maths, economics and geography. I'm actually quite a lazy person, so I left my EPQ till the last 2 weeks before my school deadline, and managed perfectly fine, predicted A/A*.
girlinthechair
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Thanks so much everyone! I've emailed the college I'm going to, to see if they're happy with me doing the 4 and an EPQ
Thanks again for your help, I really appreciate it!
coldhell
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Thanks so much everyone! I've emailed the college I'm going to, to see if they're happy with me doing the 4 and an EPQ
Thanks again for your help, I really appreciate it!
You should be fine! My friend did it and he's gonna be doing dentistry in September
LECTERN LOBBY
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

Hello there,
For me this is very straightforward.
1) Take 3 A Levels....They are after all very demanding. In so doing you reduce workload and increase your chances of getting top grades.
2) You do not become fluent in french by taking an A level. Fluency requires you to speak it everyday for an average of around 18 months to resemble fluency.
3) You can learn French after your A levels or even your degree.
PLENTY OF TIME YOUNG'UN !!
smile:D
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

Yes, to be honest, I think you need to maximise your grades in your existing subjects- AAA, for example, looks much better than AABB. No unis will expect you to have a fourth a-level, and extra reading and other things are more likely to distinguish you from other applicants.

Edit: if you're talking about 4 AS-levels then it's different, I'd suggest you keep 4 as unis will expect you to have an AS as well. I would say that the EPQ is up to you, I'd personally do it to improve your passion in a subject
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (21)
14.58%
I need help researching courses (8)
5.56%
I need help with filling out the application form (7)
4.86%
I need help with my personal statement (59)
40.97%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (36)
25%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
2.08%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (10)
6.94%

Watched Threads