Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Friend is being deported coz he couldn't pay his fees! Watch

ReputationRep:
    My friend is an international student (outside the EU) doing a Bachelor's degree here in the UK. He just finished his final exams and passed them. But his family suffered an economic crisis back home and he was unable to get money to pay his fees there. His visa allows him to work 20 hours a week, but that's not enough to pay his tuition fees or living.

The uni was kind and allowed him to pay his tuition fees in installment, but he can't afford to pay the rest (£8200). So they've informed the Home Office about it and he will soon have to leave the country, without a degree, even though he's technically passed his exams and finished his course. He can't have his degree now, because he hasn't paid the £8200.

Is there anything he could do to get his degree? He had no plans to stay here after his degree, but now he can't even get that degree.

Any info would be great - thanks. He's really devasted and I thought this could be a good place to ask for any info on this. He's contacted his uni and they can't help him with anything about the tuition fees anymore.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry about the situation and very sorry I can't help you, but that is ****ing pathetic on the Home Office's behalf.

ReputationRep:
    I doubt he is being "deported". It sounds like the situation is that he was on a student visa which meant he had to leave after he finished his course. Now he has finished his course by the sounds of things.

In the end the reason he doesn't have a degree is he's had tuition from the university and not paid for it, whatever his family circumstances are. It's not the Home Office's fault.

Surely if the problem is his family has an economic crisis and he can't find the money for fees, his best option would be to go home and work and try and earn money there, why does being in the UK help as surely this is more costly?

ReputationRep:
    He can apply for hardship assistance from the university, although this is at their discretion.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.