Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have experienced unfair marking numerous times in exams/tests, for example I wrote an amazing writing essay and was expecting a level 7 and i only got a level 6c, predominantly because I have a low target (5a) and the teacher presumes that students can't always exceed target grade, so she marks student with lower target grade incredibly harsh despite the fact that there work is possibly two or three levels higher than the grade they give.

this makes me slightly anxious; making me worry that I may encounter similar sort of prejudice
    in two years time, when I will be sitting my gcse's, as I will be writing an A* answer but getting a c grade by my teacher/examiner, because of my target grade

thnakyou, any responses will be appreciated

ReputationRep:
    anyone please help, I AM REALLY ANXIOUS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BULL14)
    I have experienced unfair marking numerous times in exams/tests, for example I wrote an amazing writing essay and was expecting a level 7 and i only got a level 6c, predominantly because I have a low target (5a) and the teacher presumes that students can't always exceed target grade, so she marks student with lower target grade incredibly harsh despite the fact that there work is possibly two or three levels higher than the grade they give.

this makes me slightly anxious; making me worry that I may encounter similar sort of prejudice
    in two years time, when I will be sitting my gcse's, as I will be writing an A* answer but getting a c grade by my teacher/examiner, because of my target grade

Don't worry, you have random examiners marking your paper, and I don't know if they even have access to your expected grades.
    They mark via often strict schemes. If you get the mark, you get the mark, if you don't, you don't. There is no "Well I think it's a 5 mark answer, but he got 0 on the last question so I'll lower it to a 4 mark"

Just don't worry about it. And if it helps for closure - get your predicted grades really high :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Maybe your essay wasn't as amazing as you thought?

ReputationRep:
    this makes me slightly anxious; making me worry that I may encounter similar sort of prejudice in two years time, when I will be sitting my gcse's, as I will be writing an A* answer but getting a c grade by my teacher/examiner, because of my target grade
    The exam marker with neither know nor care who you are or what your target or predicted grades are. They will mark what they see to a fixed mark scheme. For any controlled assessment you do that is marked in the school the work will have to be internally and externally moderated to check the standard of the marking so you should be fine.

ReputationRep:

Like most people have said:

Examiners offer no bias to marking your papers - they don't know who you are, where you're from, your target or predicted grade, they just have your answer and a mark scheme so there's no prejudice.

I thought that in Year 9 when I wrote an essay that it was great, but I didn't get the level that I wanted for it. Reflecting on it, it wasn't really good to be honest. Of course that was just my case, and you may be right, but reflecting on your essay in two years time and you'll probably experience the same feeling as I did. Regardless, use this as something to improve from - make your essays even better and get that grade in your next essay - your teacher may have marked it down to make you work harder, which isn't a bad thing at all.

ReputationRep:
    level 5a, 6 i feel too old
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:

I'm Year 9 too... Honestly I think your being a little big headed. Show some humility!

"amazing writing essay and was expecting a level 7 and i only got a level 6c, predominantly because I have a low target (5a)"<-- evidently it was not as amazing as you thought, no teacher is going to mark you down because of your target level. That happened to me in Geography. I was really upset about my KS3 target but I'm at the end of year 9 and I got much higher than I was predicted.

You need to look at what you are doing wrong when writing. Ask for help, ask questions- 'how can I do better?' etc.

If you and your class really think she is marking with bias ask another teacher to look at it!

I hope this help, no teacher will mark you down because your target!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sulfur)
    Like most people have said:

Examiners offer no bias to marking your papers - they don't know who you are, where you're from, your target or predicted grade, they just have your answer and a mark scheme so there's no prejudice.
    You're actually wrong....

Examiners will know who you are because the name is on the exam paper and your candidate number.

They will know where you are from as in the school you attend because of the centre number.

They do also know your target grade AND the predicted grade. Why do you think teachers do assessments and do times essays in class before exams starts? Yes, a huge part is to get their students ready for the real thing, but it is also to send the grades off to the examiners. Head of Departments/Subject Leaders have a deadline to send off all the predicted grades and target grades. It's usually in January because Jan exams have gone. For A-level.

For GCSE, the same is done, but usually in November or January the Mocks are done then the results are sent off in March.

I speak not from arrogance, but from experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Empire Odyssey)
    You're actually wrong....

Examiners will know who you are because the name is on the exam paper and your candidate number.

They will know where you are from as in the school you attend because of the centre number.

They do also know your target grade AND the predicted grade. Why do you think teachers do assessments and do times essays in class before exams starts? Yes, a huge part is to get their students ready for the real thing, but it is also to send the grades off to the examiners. Head of Departments/Subject Leaders have a deadline to send off all the predicted grades and target grades. It's usually in January because Jan exams have gone. For A-level.

For GCSE, the same is done, but usually in November or January the Mocks are done then the results are sent off in March.

I speak not from arrogance, but from experience.
    How could an examiner know your predicted and target grade when marking your paper? The exam board knows it since you may not go to the exam under some circumstance, but not a single examiner? All they get is your paper and answer.

I see your point with the name, but doesn't each examiner get different questions in some subjects/exam boards - such as one examiner getting question 1a for Literature and another get 2b? Hence they wouldn't see your name/candidate number in most circumstances. Similarly, how could an examiner that marks your paper know from four numbers where you're from - unless I'm wrong and there is a code in there somewhere...

That just seems a bit odd for one examiner, but not for the exam board as like you've said, they need that information. But not an examiner.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know where you think your information comes from but it is largely inaccurate.

If you really think that an examiner notices what name most scripts have on them then you are mistaken. Far less likely still is that they will bother to look up the school that goes with a centre number - why would they care? They are marking hundreds of scripts to a tight deadline and do not bother with extraneous details.

They do also know your target grade AND the predicted grade.
    No they don't. The Forecast (=predicted) grades are sent off to the exam board but are NOT seen by the markers. The target grades are sent nowhere.

Leaders have a deadline to send off all the predicted grades and target grades. It's usually in January because Jan exams have gone. For A-level.

No, the deadline for submitting forecast grades is in May. In many cases it's not even possible to do it before mid April.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sulfur)
    How could an examiner know your predicted and target grade when marking your paper? The exam board knows it since you may not go to the exam under some circumstance, but not a single examiner? All they get is your paper and answer.

I see your point with the name, but doesn't each examiner get different questions in some subjects/exam boards - such as one examiner getting question 1a for Literature and another get 2b? Hence they wouldn't see your name/candidate number in most circumstances. Similarly, how could an examiner that marks your paper know from four numbers where you're from - unless I'm wrong and there is a code in there somewhere...

That just seems a bit odd for one examiner, but not for the exam board as like you've said, they need that information. But not an examiner.
    Yes, sorry, the exam board knows, not the individual. I meant the exam board, collectively. My mistake
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Compost)
    I don't know where you think your information comes from but it is largely inaccurate.

If you really think that an examiner notices what name most scripts have on them then you are mistaken. Far less likely still is that they will bother to look up the school that goes with a centre number - why would they care? They are marking hundreds of scripts to a tight deadline and do not bother with extraneous details.

No they don't. The Forecast (=predicted) grades are sent off to the exam board but are NOT seen by the markers. The target grades are sent nowhere.

No, the deadline for submitting forecast grades is in May. In many cases it's not even possible to do it before mid April.

I never said they did. I clearly said you have the name on it. I never said whether they care to look for it, don't put words into my mouth. I never said they would care at all. Exam markers will know the school's name. One of my history teachers was an examiner, she had to travel to Manchester to mark a centre's paper. She said the name. I never once said they would care, however they do know what centre they are marking as they are allocated to that centre.

Yeah yeah, I made the error of not making myself clear. I did meant the exam board, itself - not the individual. I do stand correct with the target grade.
    Yeah, I meant the exam board.

No it's not in May, it's way before that, especially for subjects that have Controlled Assessments for Nov or Jan entry and coursework subjects (A-level)... I've seen the deadlines on the secure websites of exam boards... So I think that information would be accurate... In many cases you say? So not in all cases, so to disprove my fact is very ignorant of you. But I am not one to get into petty arguments with self-proclaimed know-it-alls. Goodbye.

ReputationRep:
    Teacher's unfair marking.

I have experienced unfair marking numerous times in exams/tests. For example, I wrote an amazing writing essay, was expecting a level 7 and I only got a level 6c, predominantly because I have a low target (5a). The teacher presumes that students can't always exceed their target grade; she marks students with lower target grades incredibly harshly, despite the fact that their work is possibly two or three levels higher than the grade they give.

This makes me slightly anxious, making me worry that I may encounter similar sort of prejudice in two years' time when I will be sitting my GCSEs. I will be writing an A* answer but getting a C grade by my teacher/examiner, because of my target grade.
    The red is all my corrections from your text. Your spelling, grammar and punctuation are appalling; of course she gave you a low grade and you're never going to get an A* like this. You mix up 'there' and 'their', can't use apostrophes and you really have no idea what is expected of you.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:

I have no idea what your essay was like but in your opening post you missed capital letters, confused "their" with "there", failed to use an adverb, misused the apostrophe and missed punctuation marks. I suspect your essay was not quite as "amazing" as you thought.

You don't need to worry about GCSE examiners judging you by your target grade as they do not have access to this information. They only have an electronic scan of your script.

Edit: I should read other posts before replying. Others have already said all this!

ReputationRep:

I never said they did. I clearly said you have the name on it. I never said whether they care to look for it, don't put words into my mouth. I never said they would care at all. Exam markers will know the school's name. One of my history teachers was an examiner, she had to travel to Manchester to mark a centre's paper. She said the name. I never once said they would care, however they do know what centre they are marking as they are allocated to that centre.

Yeah yeah, I made the error of not making myself clear. I did meant the exam board, itself - not the individual. I do stand correct with the target grade.
    Yeah, I meant the exam board.

No it's not in May, it's way before that, especially for subjects that have Controlled Assessments for Nov or Jan entry and coursework subjects (A-level)... I've seen the deadlines on the secure websites of exam boards... So I think that information would be accurate... In many cases you say? So not in all cases, so to disprove my fact is very ignorant of you. But I am not one to get into petty arguments with self-proclaimed know-it-alls. Goodbye.
    Examiners do not receive your name. You are wrong. They simply receive a scanned copy of the individual question that they are assigned to marking. Also deadlines are always in May as schools use the June series of assessments. Please do not spread incorrect information.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TechnoSurvey)
    Examiners do not receive your name. You are wrong. They simply receive a scanned copy of the individual question that they are assigned to marking. Also deadlines are always in May as schools use the June series of assessments. Please do not spread incorrect information.
    Lool, it's really odd you say that, but it's apparent that is not the case as secure websites show the WHOLE paper, including the name and the centre, and signature - of course all this is blocked out. Are you an examiner?

Deadlines are NOW in May, because November, Jan and March exams have been axed. However before this was from October.

AQA: http://store.aqa.org.uk/admin/calend...DATES-1314.PDF all dates.... If I'm wrong, this must be wrong too. So pipe down.

ReputationRep:
    Lool, it's really odd you say that, but it's apparent that is not the case as secure websites show the WHOLE paper, including the name and the centre, and signature - of course all this is blocked out. Are you an examiner?

Deadlines are NOW in May, because November, Jan and March exams have been axed. However before this was from October.

AQA: http://store.aqa.org.uk/admin/calend...DATES-1314.PDF all dates.... If I'm wrong, this must be wrong too. So pipe down.
    I think you are misunderstanding a fundamental part of this. The 'secure website' does not represent what the markers view. The website represents what is submitted to the exam board. There is a clear difference between the actual exam board and their markers/examiners. The OP was not asking about the past, she/he was asking about the present. So your point of deadlines being before May is invalid. Please do some research before you spout nonsense.

ReputationRep:
    Just because you expect a 7 doesn't mean you'll get it; your essay obviously wasn't as good as you thought it was.

Not to be rude but those grades dont even mean anything, your GCSE grades do. You have random examiners for those and you will get the correct and necessary grade in 99.9% of cases. HOWEVER, don't be cocky and think you're going to write an A* answer for each question because it just doesn't work like that...
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TechnoSurvey)
    I think you are misunderstanding a fundamental part of this. The 'secure website' does not represent what the markers view. The website represents what is submitted to the exam board. There is a clear difference between the actual exam board and their markers/examiners. The OP was not asking about the past, she/he was asking about the present. So your point of deadlines being before May is invalid. Please do some research before you spout nonsense.
    Okay, that's fine. No it's not invalid. I was proving your point wrong. It had nothing to do with what the OP was saying. Clearly, I misunderstood the marking bit, but you clearly misunderstand the deadlines. This will go in circles if you can't agree to disagree.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.