Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have completed my AS exams and think I managed AABB. I need AAA at A2 to get onto my desired university course. The problem is throughout the whole year I put no effort in whatsoever and D/E/U grades were not uncommon in my mock exams. The same can be said for my GCSE's (2 A's and the rest B's). As a result, my college target grades are extremely low (BCCD they were DDDC at the start of the year). I would have liked AAAA in my AS exams but due to extenuating circumstances, which I have not told the school (my dad being diagnosed with terminal cancer and being given 3 months to live) I may have only managed AABB. Is this a valid extenuating circumstance?? I had to visit hospital every night, couldn't concentrate and generally didn't revise etc. None of my subject teachers really like me because I didn't put any effort into their classes and as a result I do not think they would be willing to raise my A2 predictions thus limiting the universities which I can apply to. What should I do?? I really need to keep chemistry at A2 and think I only got a B in it (I was predicted a D). I don't think they would let me resit either FFS...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoshZ)
    I have completed my AS exams and think I managed AABB. I need AAA at A2 to get onto my desired university course. The problem is throughout the whole year I put no effort in whatsoever and D/E/U grades were not uncommon in my mock exams. The same can be said for my GCSE's (2 A's and the rest B's). As a result, my college target grades are extremely low (BCCD they were DDDC at the start of the year). I would have liked AAAA in my AS exams but due to extenuating circumstances, which I have not told the school (my dad being diagnosed with terminal cancer and being given 3 months to live) I may have only managed AABB. Is this a valid extenuating circumstance?? I had to visit hospital every night, couldn't concentrate and generally didn't revise etc. None of my subject teachers really like me because I didn't put any effort into their classes and as a result I do not think they would be willing to raise my A2 predictions thus limiting the universities which I can apply to. What should I do?? I really need to keep chemistry at A2 and think I only got a B in it (I was predicted a D). I don't think they would let me resit either FFS...
    Teachers might well be willing to raise your predictions if you get good AS results, especially if you tell the school about your personal circumstances.

Also, it's a bit soon to be talking about your results - you haven't got them yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PythianLegume)
    Teachers might well be willing to raise your predictions if you get good AS results, especially if you tell the school about your personal circumstances.

Also, it's a bit soon to be talking about your results - you haven't got them yet.
    I know, I know Just thinking of all possible situations (this one being the most likely)....

ReputationRep:
    AABB is fine for AS for AAA unis

Target grades are very different from predictions - Our school does it by ALIS which is a load of trash.

Most teachers will predict you what you got for AS, though you can ask to bump it up - Even then, its really really not uncommon for people to get offers, even though their predictions =/= the entry requirements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jkizer)
    AABB is fine for AS for AAA unis

Target grades are very different from predictions - Our school does it by ALIS which is a load of trash.

Most teachers will predict you what you got for AS, though you can ask to bump it up - Even then, its really really not uncommon for people to get offers, even though their predictions =/= the entry requirements
    Oh yeah now I remember, we had to do an ALIS test as well. We never knew it counted for anything and so just clicked random answers so we didn't have to stay back after lesson and complete it .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoshZ)
    Oh yeah now I remember, we had to do an ALIS test as well. We never knew it counted for anything and so just clicked random answers so we didn't have to stay back after lesson and complete it .
    ALIS predictions should be based only on your GCSE results...

ReputationRep:
    I got ABBC at AS level, 1A* 4As 6Bs and 1C at GCSE.
    My alis test result showed that I should have got full As at GCSE
    so my sixth form knew I was lazy right from the get go.
    Still persuaded them to predict me AAA.
    I don't think you'll have much problem

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.