Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Going homeless is my only option Watch

I am petrified. I am in a domestic violence household but I have been refused housing benefit because I have a french passport and I have never worked. My abusive family never let me work or I would have found an escape to leave them. The women refuge lady tried job centre and I have JSA. Also I am doing a degree with the open uni but I don't know if they do grants or bursaries.

Refuges will only take me if I have housing benefit to cover their rent, I have no family to go to. No friends will take me without their parents judging. I'm alone and I was beaten up which was my fault because for the first I hit that abusive person because I bottled the abuse for 7 years and I just couldn't hold it anymore. Then they hit me back, I had to go to doctors and then went hospital but I lied that I fell down the stairs because I am scared my siblings are going to be taken away from my parents. My parents are lovely to my siblings it is just me because I am a girl. But social service will never understand that and I would just destroy my siblings education and life and my relatives would not be good guardians for them, they hate us for no reason.

Please help

ReputationRep:
    Don't ever think people are not out there to help you. You should contact social services, or some type of helpline immediately before things escalate.

If you are worried about your parent finding out that you have filed a complaint about them, whilst being in the same household you can tell social services or another house line this and they will understand and help you.

The fact you have medical injuries recently also will be soft proof of abuse within the household, but seriously you should not worry about them not believing you. They will! and they will do their best to help you out.

But, you need to contact or speak to someone even if it is a teacher, friend, or a friends parent ( I am sure they will not judge you, abuse is not a nice thing, I believe they would be supportive, but make sure it's a parent that would not speak to yours)

I just hope you do the right thing, what is comfortable for you and seek help.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know what I would do but don't give up trying to protect your well-being.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I am petrified. I am in a domestic violence household but I have been refused housing benefit because I have a french passport and I have never worked. My abusive family never let me work or I would have found an escape to leave them. The women refuge lady tried job centre and I have JSA. Also I am doing a degree with the open uni but I don't know if they do grants or bursaries.

Refuges will only take me if I have housing benefit to cover their rent, I have no family to go to. No friends will take me without their parents judging. I'm alone and I was beaten up which was my fault because for the first I hit that abusive person because I bottled the abuse for 7 years and I just couldn't hold it anymore. Then they hit me back, I had to go to doctors and then went hospital but I lied that I fell down the stairs because I am scared my siblings are going to be taken away from my parents. My parents are lovely to my siblings it is just me because I am a girl. But social service will never understand that and I would just destroy my siblings education and life and my relatives would not be good guardians for them, they hate us for no reason.

Please help
    By the way how old are you?

(Original post by Troytheboy)
    By the way how old are you?
    I'm 21

ReputationRep:
    I'm 21
    Ring 0808 2000 247 - Free phone number, available 24 hours a day, it is the woman's aid national domestic helpline.

If you wish to email them the email is: helpline@womansaid.org.uk

But they will not ring your landline, they will only communicate when you are on the phone so it is confidential and safe for you.
    http://www.womensaid.org.uk/landing_page.asp?section=0001000 10018

These people will help you, you should contact them. You will be safe and it is confidential.

ReputationRep:

Please help
    Out of interest, I don't mean to be intrude. You said you have a french passport, what was the reason for moving previously? Also, out of genuine interest, I don't mean to make assumptions, are you muslim?

Out of interest, I don't mean to be intrude. You said you have a french passport, what was the reason for moving previously? Also, out of genuine interest, I don't mean to make assumptions, are you muslim?
    Thank you for giving me the links, I moved to the UK when I was 6 because my parents wanted to be with relatives. So I've been living her for 15 years and we didn't change our passport because uk is in Europe. No I'm not Muslim but I do have a strict family.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for giving me the links, I moved to the UK when I was 6 because my parents wanted to be with relatives. So I've been living her for 15 years and we didn't change our passport because uk is in Europe. No I'm not Muslim but I do have a strict family.
    The reason I ask is because there are a number of religion organizations that will help as well.

ReputationRep:
    If you've been living here for 15 years can't you apply to become a naturalised british citizen and then apply for a passport so you can get the housing benefit. Have you tired looking for a part time job so you can save up a little. If they don't let you work say you need to go to the library to revise or something. Also you say there good parents to your siblings but good parents don't beat up their child. While they may not hit your siblings watching you get beat up can be very damaging for them.

The reason I ask is because there are a number of religion organizations that will help as well.
    Im Hindu but the problem is all refuges need housing benefit but I have been rejected it.

(Original post by littleangel9914)
    If you've been living here for 15 years can't you apply to become a naturalised british citizen and then apply for a passport so you can get the housing benefit. Have you tired looking for a part time job so you can save up a little. If they don't let you work say you need to go to the library to revise or something. Also you say there good parents to your siblings but good parents don't beat up their child. While they may not hit your siblings watching you get beat up can be very damaging for them.
    I can do that thanks, but the situation is getting worse and I don't know how long it will take. It's very hard for no to hide because they only let me out few times a year and they always have to drop me and pick me up.

ReputationRep:
    Im Hindu but the problem is all refuges need housing benefit but I have been rejected it.
    Why did you reject it? and have you contacted the woman's aid?

ReputationRep:
    I can do that thanks, but the situation is getting worse and I don't know how long it will take. It's very hard for no to hide because they only let me out few times a year and they always have to drop me and pick me up.
    Just curious. You said you have been here a long time, yet don't have a passport?
    Regardless of your situation - there are also many charities that would go out of their way to make sure you are looked after.

Why did you reject it? and have you contacted the woman's aid?
    Sorry typo they rejected me housing benefit but I have been given JSA. Yes I just tried but there's people downstairs so I am going try a bit later when no ones at home. Thanks.

(Original post by hellodave5)
    Just curious. You said you have been here a long time, yet don't have a passport?
    Regardless of your situation - there are also many charities that would go out of their way to make sure you are looked after.
    No, i do have a french passport. I was saying that to get a dual passport it will take a long time and I don't think I have enough time left. Do you anywhere where I can contact to get these charities numbers please. Would citizen advice bureau help me regarding this?

ReputationRep:
    Sorry typo they rejected me housing benefit but I have been given JSA. Yes I just tried but there's people downstairs so I am going try a bit later when no ones at home. Thanks.
    Okay cool, like I said they will NOT ring you because they understand the situation. I hope everything resolves well.

Okay cool, like I said they will NOT ring you because they understand the situation. I hope everything resolves well.
    Thank you for everything

ReputationRep:
    No, i do have a french passport. I was saying that to get a dual passport it will take a long time and I don't think I have enough time left. Do you anywhere where I can contact to get these charities numbers please. Would citizen advice bureau help me regarding this?
    They would point you in the right direction probably
    I'm not totally sure, I wish I knew more to help but some organisations are:

http://www.redcross.org.uk/

http://refuge.org.uk/

http://www.mind.org.uk/information-s...ervices/abuse/

http://www.womensaid.org.uk/

ReputationRep:
    Damn it sounds like your almost a prisoner in what is meant to be your home. I don't understand why your parents think it's okay to do this just because your a girl it seems. Where they always this controlling? I wish I knew more so I could be of some help but I strongly recommend you start the naturalization process. I've just looked at the form online and I think your main problem is going to be getting the two referees required as you sound quite excluded and maybe trying to hide what you are doing from your parents. How old are your siblings could they help you, maybe cover for you. I hope you manage to get out of this horrible situation and build a life away from these people

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 19, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.