The Student Room Group

raf ict tech

Hey,

Passed the medical a couple of days ago for ict tech. Waiting on my dates now for pjft. Anyone got any tips or advice on this or is going through the same process?

Sarah :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi Swalley,

My girlfriend just passed her fitness test and and told me if was very easy if you have been training!

The running on the treadmill part is easy just pace yourself and make sure you warm up properly! run it at a comfortable pace making sure not to give it everything just yet.

Next there is a 3 minute rest period once complete you shall start your press ups make sure to keep correct form and go down to the floor image there is a small tin of sweetcorn under your shoulder and your hitting it each time.

After this you shall your sit-ups straight away the PTI will support your feet enabling you to max out the amount you nee to do.

Hope this helps swalley.

I'm waiting anxiously and biting off all my nails to hear for a result regarding my waiver from AS2 been 2 marks off the supplier role however I did score 5 in VR and 5 in NR fingers crossed all goes well. Did your afco phone you and let you know?

Also my corporal said that she contact RAF cranwell and they said my waiver could be sent, I wasn't sure what she meant by this. I was at the understanding that the corporal at the afco decided whether to send a waiver for me not people at cranwell? Slightly confused at this part?

Thanks
Reply 2
Slightly confused too... I had a phone call to say that the wavier had been accepted when I had mime sent but there was no mention of cranwell...
Been training alot I'm not finding the run that challenging just didn't know how long I would have as a rest period.
What trade is your girlfriend going for?

Sarah
Original post by swalley
Hey,

Passed the medical a couple of days ago for ict tech. Waiting on my dates now for pjft. Anyone got any tips or advice on this or is going through the same process?

Sarah :smile:

Hi Sarah

PJFT, in my opinion, is the easiest part of the process that requires any kind of effort. As long as you haven't been lazy and assumed that everyone must pass, then you'll be fine. I think the most important thing to remember is that the PJFT is the minimum requirements. You should be aiming for higher but don't give it 100% or max effort, save that for the max effort tests at BRTC.

The rest period will vary between different places but it will probably be quite relax. You finish the run, step off the treadmill, and then you'll go over to a mat and have the next exercise explained to you (either press-ups or sit-ups). You can have a quick drink while this is happening also, so it's not too bad at all.

If you have any other questions then fire away! :smile:
Reply 4
That deosnt sound as bad as i thought it would be. Training 6 days a week with a mixture of exercises so I'm not thinking I'll fail the fitness test as i have done it at home withing in the times alloted.

Just wondered about how strict with form as on the pressups I struggle with the most with keeping correct form...

And so they give you the option to have the situps someone ankoring your feet or do to u have to ask?
Sarah
Original post by swalley
That deosnt sound as bad as i thought it would be. Training 6 days a week with a mixture of exercises so I'm not thinking I'll fail the fitness test as i have done it at home withing in the times alloted.

Just wondered about how strict with form as on the pressups I struggle with the most with keeping correct form...

And so they give you the option to have the situps someone ankoring your feet or do to u have to ask?
Sarah

It isn't bad at all.

The form will be explained to you, but I never had any problems and it won't be as strict as it is at Halton so don't worry about it too much.

Your feet will be held, but if for any reason you have to ask (you shouldn't have to) then by all means do. It's essential you have your feet held in position so you're not at a disadvantage, so they will be!
Reply 6
Hi sarah! i'm currently in the process for ICT Tech too :smile:

Good thing about the trade we are applying for is that they are in huge demand! The guy at the AFCO basically said they would rush me through the process as fast as they can because they are in urgent need. I applied 2 months ago and have my PRTC on tuesday and potential start date in august!!!.

The PJFT should be pretty easy for you if you have been keeping your fitness levels up. All i can say is make sure your used to running on treadmills and that you wear comfortable trainers. You will be running on a treadmill at 0% incline (at least i did) and im not sure about the time for a girl but for a guy it is 11.11 so you need to be running at a constant pace of 13km/h to just about pass (the fitness instructor will tell you all of this on the day).

If you are struggling with your fitness levels and want to improve i recommend HIIT training (circuit , commando) which should be available at your local leisure centre.

Best of luck with your PJFT and the rest of your application process!
Hopefully we will meet at Cosford :smile:

Matt.
Reply 7
Original post by swalley
Slightly confused too... I had a phone call to say that the wavier had been accepted when I had mime sent but there was no mention of cranwell...
Been training alot I'm not finding the run that challenging just didn't know how long I would have as a rest period.
What trade is your girlfriend going for?

Sarah

She is going is as RAF Police :smile:
Reply 8
Cool- that was my second choice if i didn't get it tech. Seems ict tech is mainly male but that's cool becuase I grew up with boys being the only girl out if my 8 cousins lol.

Can't wait to do the pjft now so close to going in, just wanna start now!
Reply 9
Original post by swalley
Cool- that was my second choice if i didn't get it tech. Seems ict tech is mainly male but that's cool becuase I grew up with boys being the only girl out if my 8 cousins lol.

Can't wait to do the pjft now so close to going in, just wanna start now!

You'll be surprised Sarah!

I went to a information & tour day at Cosford organized by the AFCO and there were a lot of female recruits there!

Matt
Reply 10
Original post by mattl93

I went to a information & tour day at Cosford organized by the AFCO and there were a lot of female recruits there!

Matt

Blimey I am surprised... I have spoken to a lot of people including people atvthw afco and i havent seen another girl on the ict tech path.. Must have missed them all lol!

How long did you have to wait for your pjft after your medical?

Sarah
Reply 11
Original post by swalley
Blimey I am surprised... I have spoken to a lot of people including people atvthw afco and i havent seen another girl on the ict tech path.. Must have missed them all lol!

Sarah

Well i had my medical on the 28th of June and then the AFCO rang me on the following monday to book it for the thursday of that week. (so 3 days notice basically). After i passed my PJFT they rang me up and asked if i could make the PRTC on the 15th of july( this tuesday) in which i accepted. I want this to be over with asap :biggrin:

I think the ICT tech trade is highly in demand at the moment so they are trying to rush us through the application process as soon as they can basically :biggrin:

Best of luck!

Matt
Reply 12
Hey,

Thanks yeah I had the medical last wednesday- so im guessing anytime soon really. I feel as if I am ready done the test at home a few times and done it in the times needed so I'm hopeful as this process has taken a few months and am soo looking forward to it.... Really can't wait now!

Do you get a kit list of stuff you need from the afco for the prtc?

Yours seems to have moved loads quicker than my application... Suppose it depends on the workloads at the afco and when appointments can be made in your area as I'm from the Midlands- which area are you from?

Sarah
You are correct the trade needs more people coming into it. Good luck with your training - I might be working with you in the future!
Original post by mattl93

Matt

Original post by swalley

Sarah

First of all, wow! I wish my AFCO would organise smth like that, I asked and was told unless I know somebody who can take me, they don't do that.
I actually do know an officer at RAF, and in your trade Matt, Sarah, so I went to see how my trade works (not allowed to see yours until pass my NSC), it was great to soak up the atmosphere of the working station :smile:
But coming back to my contact in your trade, out of 52 techs under him, only 2 are female, so you are right Sarah, very few females, and they are desperate for more women in techy and engineering trades!
Apparently a lot of old fashioned misguided preconception about girls not going into silence, engineering and technical jobs still rife, but it shouldn't be! Girls are as capable as boys in any trade.

And believe me, they are desperate for ICT techs, (the officer I know said they are stretched very thin at the moment and he himself needs to have at least 5 more SACs) always understaffed, hence why they are pushing you though so fast.
Reply 15
Original post by She_wolf
First of all, wow! I wish my AFCO would organise smth like that, I asked and was told unless I know somebody who can take me, they don't do that.
I actually do know an officer at RAF, and in your trade Matt, Sarah, so I went to see how my trade works (not allowed to see yours until pass my NSC), it was great to soak up the atmosphere of the working station :smile:
But coming back to my contact in your trade, out of 52 techs under him, only 2 are female, so you are right Sarah, very few females, and they are desperate for more women in techy and engineering trades!
Apparently a lot of old fashioned misguided preconception about girls not going into silence, engineering and technical jobs still rife, but it shouldn't be! Girls are as capable as boys in any trade.

And believe me, they are desperate for ICT techs, (the officer I know said they are stretched very thin at the moment and he himself needs to have at least 5 more SACs) always understaffed, hence why they are pushing you though so fast.

Hey,

In school I was the only girl in some of the technical subjects I did especially I. Eventhough I get top if the class above the boys lol

I don't mind though used to being the only girl lol!

Sarah
Reply 16
Original post by swalley
Hey,

Thanks yeah I had the medical last wednesday- so im guessing anytime soon really. I feel as if I am ready done the test at home a few times and done it in the times needed so I'm hopeful as this process has taken a few months and am soo looking forward to it.... Really can't wait now!

Do you get a kit list of stuff you need from the afco for the prtc?

Yours seems to have moved loads quicker than my application... Suppose it depends on the workloads at the afco and when appointments can be made in your area as I'm from the Midlands- which area are you from?

Sarah

Yeah they send you an email after your pjft about all the things you will need to take for prtc. If you want I can message you later a picture of the kit list so you can prepare in advance.
And I'm from the Liverpool area 😁
Good luck

Matt
Reply 17
Original post by mattl93
Yeah they send you an email after your pjft about all the things you will need to take for prtc. If you want I can message you later a picture of the kit list so you can prepare in advance.
And I'm from the Liverpool area 😁
Good luck

Matt

Hey That Would be great if you have time... After All i should get A copy. And not far from us then! Well good luck on the prtc And let us all know how you get on! And what prtc is like!

Sarah
Reply 18
Original post by swalley
Hey That Would be great if you have time... After All i should get A copy. And not far from us then! Well good luck on the prtc And let us all know how you get on! And what prtc is like!

Sarah

Here you go! i'll put it in this thread just in case anyone else wants to have a gander.

Original post by mattl93
Here you go! i'll put it in this thread just in case anyone else wants to have a gander.

Thanks, that's great :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest