The Student Room Group

raf ict tech

Scroll to see replies

Just been given my selection date of 27th August, Thats not that far away. Good to get it done.
Reply 81
Does this require cp1 2 or 3? I passed the aptitude with high enough marks for everything but RAF police and am joining as supply as I know I am colour blind. I am happy with that but I know but there must be some other options for me too.
Original post by She_wolf
http://www.raf.mod.uk/news/archive/inside-the-bubble-21072014

Don't miss Red Arrows this weekend on BBC2!
A lot of ICT techs work on Red Arrows and I myself been to RAF Scampton where they are based (and where there is rather informative museum http://www.raf.mod.uk/rafscampton/aboutus/rafscamptonmuseum.cfm)

Sorry but you are mistaken; no ICT Techs work on the Red Arrows. There are plenty of interesting jobs out there for them though :smile:
Reply 83
It's looking like I'm going to need an echo stress test. My GP doesn't have my records for some reason....they said its something to do with me not needing to see a doctor for 3+ years, like thats a bad thing. I'm really hoping CAPITA are quick with the paper work. I know it's with them.

Trying to remain patient but it's killing me lol.
Original post by Zander90
It's looking like I'm going to need an echo stress test. My GP doesn't have my records for some reason....they said its something to do with me not needing to see a doctor for 3+ years, like thats a bad thing. I'm really hoping CAPITA are quick with the paper work. I know it's with them.

Trying to remain patient but it's killing me lol.

Unlikely.

I hope it does go quickly for you, but don't hold your breath. I think if there is anything the process will test you for the most, it's patience!
Reply 85
I'm confident that I will have the patience of a saint after this lol. How long am I likely to wait? I'm expecting a couple of months at least.
Original post by Zander90
I'm confident that I will have the patience of a saint after this lol. How long am I likely to wait? I'm expecting a couple of months at least.

Anything under 2 months would be decent, but it may be faster or slower, so just hope for the best!
It's all a game, and the sooner you realise that and start to play along, the easier it gets. Give your AFCO a call when you get back and see what's going on. It's fairly unusual to have the whole medical again, but then again it wouldn't surprise me either.
(edited 9 years ago)
My second medical was a waste of time, took time off work to come and all I did was to sit on the chair for 5 min, when doc looked through the file and said:
-Yup, now everything is in order, you are good to go.
Didn't do any tests, didn't even sign anything.
And yes, there was almost 2.5 months between them, all I didn't have was eye sight form that AFCO didn't send me with medical instructions. Which I got next day off them and sent it off 2 days later, took CAPITA 2.5 months to staple that to my file... :iiam:
(edited 9 years ago)
Yes, got my dates last week, going to PRTC in 4 days, but I applied in 2013! So yeah, LONG process....
(edited 9 years ago)
There are lots of rumours about why they do certain things. None can be confirmed of course, but there's a reason for everything. You'll get there in the end!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ryan9900
There are lots of rumours about why they do certain things. None can be confirmed of course, but there's a reason for everything. You'll get there in the end!

I'm looking forward to working in AFCO myself one day, I think I'd quite enjoy of seeing young hopefuls through the process.
Not for a while though, you need to be at least a Corporal on second posting to qualify to work in AFCO.
I'm looking forward to working in AFCO myself one day, I think I'd quite enjoy of seeing young hopefuls through the process.
Not for a while though, you need to be at least a Corporal on second posting to qualify to work in AFCO.

I actually asked about that ages ago at the presentation and was told the chances are extremely slim. Would still be interesting though, but don't think I'll have the time to do it unfortunately.
I actually asked about that ages ago at the presentation and was told the chances are extremely slim. Would still be interesting though, but don't think I'll have the time to do it unfortunately.

Yeah, it is one of the jobs you have to apply for and go thought selection.
What do you mean time? It is counted as one of your postings, not like it is done in your spare time :wink:
Yeah, it is one of the jobs you have to apply for and go thought selection.
What do you mean time? It is counted as one of your postings, not like it is done in your spare time :wink:

Yeah but I'd rather push myself in a certain direction. A posting in an AFCO would be completely irrelevant and therefore a waste of my time. Can see why it would be good though.
Yeah but I'd rather push myself in a certain direction. A posting in an AFCO would be completely irrelevant and therefore a waste of my time. Can see why it would be good though.

Would be great experience for me though and suits my trade to the T :smile:
Oh, maybe in 5 years I'll get it... :wink:
Would be great experience for me though and suits my trade to the T :smile:
Oh, maybe in 5 years I'll get it... :wink:

I'm sure you will!
Reply 97
Think the IT tech is a good choice? I'm going to university to get my degree in web development because that's a big passion of mine but the market is so saturated it is hard to find work unless you go in a company and I want to go it alone if I did.

Is it a good career path with decent benefits?
Reply 98
I think it is as i am going for ict tech. It is good for job security and opportunities such as sport and educational aspects. It depends if you want a disciplined lifestyle with the chance that you probably will be posted all around the country and abroad. Also you could end up in war torn areas no matter what your trade. You have to research it and see if its the right path for you. Don't go into it blind and regreat it as you sign up for 9 years. So it's not a decision to take lightly. Also the application takes anywhere from 3 ninths to nine
But be prepared for it to take alot longer than that. Also you will have to learn all aspects of ict. Jot just the buys your passionate about. If you gave any questions about the process just pm me.

Sarah
Reply 99
Or process so far... I'm heading for pre recruit training this week so I'm nearly at the end of the tunnel! Just read the website alot before you make any choices.

Quick Reply

Latest