Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently in that obnoxiously long summer holiday between completing GCSEs and getting my results. I was hoping for some suggestions on how to improve my German. I would also like to hopefully read more in German this summer so that I'm prepared for A Levels and Uni admissions (Damn you Personal Statement)..
    I really want to read European and Middle Eastern Languages at Oxford (German and Arabic) so I just want some suggestions on things to read, watch, listen to and study

I have been off school for around 3 weeks. During that time I have: revised German grammar every day; started listening to terrible German pop music (shameful, I know); read a lot of Goethe poetry (I've also started working on creating idiomatic translations for them); read half of Wolfgang Borchert's "Draußen vor der Tür" and, as always, I've been singing a lot of Schubert, Schumann, Brahms and Wolf. I also watched the news everyday so I'm up on current affairs in the Middle East/Europe.

So yeah, I would love recommendations for poetry, plays, novels, music (pop, rock, classical) and any new suggestions would be so appreciated. (Also, any German philosophy or history that I can research on my own would be great!)

ReputationRep:
    As of three days ago, I have been in the same situation as you. Try out the 6000 words in German app if ou have an Android device to improve vocabulary. I think it's great for people with a short attention span. I am going to search up German recipes later because I think it would be a topic I'm more familiar with. Then I can carry on practicing from there. Also try to have conversations (I can't seem to find a place as I'm using a PDA because my computer is broken.)

I'll post links once I've found them.

ReputationRep:
    At the moment I'm translating things from http://www.chefkoch.de/rs/s0/einfach...e/Rezepte.html

ReputationRep:
    Try out http://www.italki.com/ I never got around to posting yesterday.

It's a website which allows you to communicate with fellow language learners and natives. It's an interface of language learners of all kinds. I haven't tried out the feature yet, but you can apparently plan lessons with other people. You can write exercises for them to be marked and you can ask questions. Italki's website is very user friendly, even for mobile devices.

Here's my questions on the structure of questions
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2735808
    It has great answers from fellow TSR members chloevictoria and katie_p.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elliebeach)
    I'm currently in that obnoxiously long summer holiday between completing GCSEs and getting my results. I was hoping for some suggestions on how to improve my German. I would also like to hopefully read more in German this summer so that I'm prepared for A Levels and Uni admissions (Damn you Personal Statement)..
    I really want to read European and Middle Eastern Languages at Oxford (German and Arabic) so I just want some suggestions on things to read, watch, listen to and study

I have been off school for around 3 weeks. During that time I have: revised German grammar every day; started listening to terrible German pop music (shameful, I know); read a lot of Goethe poetry (I've also started working on creating idiomatic translations for them); read half of Wolfgang Borchert's "Draußen vor der Tür" and, as always, I've been singing a lot of Schubert, Schumann, Brahms and Wolf. I also watched the news everyday so I'm up on current affairs in the Middle East/Europe.

So yeah, I would love recommendations for poetry, plays, novels, music (pop, rock, classical) and any new suggestions would be so appreciated. (Also, any German philosophy or history that I can research on my own would be great!)
    Thought you might be interested in the first year Oxford German reading list. From what I remember it included Effi Briest, Im Westen Nichts Neues, Von Morgens Bis Mitternachts, and Die Verwandlung. There are others, but I can't for the life of me remember them... Draußen vor der Tür is actually on my 2nd year list, so good for you

I also recommend watching German films. You can buy them on amazon pretty easily

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XcitingStuart)
    Try out http://www.italki.com/ I never got around to posting yesterday.

It's a website which allows you to communicate with fellow language learners and natives. It's an interface of language learners of all kinds. I haven't tried out the feature yet, but you can apparently plan lessons with other people. You can write exercises for them to be marked and you can ask questions. Italki's website is very user friendly, even for mobile devices.

Here's my questions on the structure of questions
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2735808
    It has great answers from fellow TSR members chloevictoria and katie_p.
    Oh my Gosh, thanks for all of your suggestions! Using German recipes? Genius.
    Italki sounds really helpful; I'll have to have a wee gander at that!
    Please keep me posted on your various ingenious methods of learning German (they're so creative!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beth88909)
    Thought you might be interested in the first year Oxford German reading list. From what I remember it included Effi Briest, Im Westen Nichts Neues, Von Morgens Bis Mitternachts, and Die Verwandlung. There are others, but I can't for the life of me remember them... Draußen vor der Tür is actually on my 2nd year list, so good for you

I also recommend watching German films. You can buy them on amazon pretty easily
    2nd Year?! My German teacher recommended that I read Draußen vor der Tür this summer, so he's to blame for my hard choice of literature :/ (I'll be having words with him...)
    Thank you so much for these recommendations! I'll definitely have to invest in some
    I've been watching a lot of German films (I've managed to watch all of the Disney Films dubbed in German (Please don't judge me...) and also Lola Rennt) Do you have any specific film recommendations? I'm open to everything
    Thanks again

ReputationRep:
    I have been searching for a way to improve listening skills and I came across through a reference something called "Langsam gesprochene Nachrichten" which means "slowly spoken news". It said there was a RSS feed meaning it could be played on podcasts apps and iTunes, but for some reason never said any link.
    http://www.dw.de/langsam-gesprochene...man/a-2925601#

I downloaded an android app called "Podcast Republic" and tried to search for it but was initially unsuccessful. I then searched for other German podcasts, which there are plenty of, and eventually found it. The app is slightly confusing at first. The podcast series "Langsam gesprochene Nachrichten..." has podcasts, as quoted "slowly read and clearly articulated just for German learners" and they all have transcripts in German if I click the italic "i" button (which I assume means information.)

There's this other podcast series called "Slow German" which I tried out for about one minute (I was at the testing stage) which looked promising.

I haven't done this before, but I've heard it CAN be very effective. Using it sparingly apparently will not work.

Thanks for compliments :-) but luckily (or unluckily) I have literally nothing to do for most of my summer holiday (I'm quite a boring person :-P but I'm slowly becoming more pro-active) so improving my German has given me something to do which I enjoy and is beneficial (although learning vocabulary can sometimes become quite monotonous).

ReputationRep:
    Haha, I don't think it being 2nd year actually means it's harder. We basically have to build a view of how literature in Germany developed over a time period (in my case 1900s onwards) for the finals paper. In first year they give you specific books for the exams, 4 plays and 4 novels. I also forgot to mention that we use a poetry book called 'Deutsche Lyrik' for first year that has a good selection over a wide time frame

As for films, I really like Goodbye Lenin, then there's Das Leben der Anderen (the lives of others) and The Edukators, which are good and not too difficult to understand. You're welcome

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.