Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I'm an International European student who has applied for an undergraduate degree I didn't live in UK for the last three years but my country is in EEA ( Bulgaria ). I have questions about my possibilities of receiving student loans/grants and questions about some details.

First of all, I have not yet applied for the student tuition fee loan but I will do it in a short time. I have read that the universities receive the transactions in three instalments, so if I apply now, how I could be sure that the loan will not late and thus to my disconnection from the course ?

I have some questions considering the maintenance grant. As a European student, I know that I'm not eligible for the maintenance grant because of the three years condition. But I have read that there is a maintenance grant for a migrant worker. If I start to work in the early August and continue that during my studies, would I be eligible for the maintenance grant ?

Maintenance granD... Really ?

ReputationRep:
    You can't do anything to prevent it from being late. The deadline was the 30th May to ensure it wasn't late.

I don't think you will be eligible for the maintenance grant as I do believe you would need to be working in the country for 3 years prior starting the course. Have you checked for grants that can be applied for in your home country and that can be used here. Otherwise you will probably struggle with funding your accommodation etc.

ReputationRep:
    I've checked and I found several loans posibilities from banks for a student who will live and study abroad. I believe that the 3 years condition is quite different from the status " migrant worker ". I may be eligible for the maintenance grant if I'm a migrant worker but I don't know the details around this status. What I know is that my country is in EEA, I have the years and I'm eligible for this status.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by acework)
    I've checked and I found several loans posibilities from banks for a student who will live and study abroad. I believe that the 3 years condition is quite different from the status " migrant worker ". I may be eligible for the maintenance grant if I'm a migrant worker but I don't know the details around this status. What I know is that my country is in EEA, I have the years and I'm eligible for this status.
    You can get loan/Grant only if you’ve been living in the UK for 3 years before starting your undergraduate course (UK/EU). And this is given by student finance body (gov)

Credit development loan is for Masters degree for which you need a UK bank account with good credit history. And this is given by banks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by acework)
    I would forget about the migrant worker status and try and find funding in your home country to fund your study unless you are willing to reject any offers you hold and move to the UK to work for 3 years in which during that time you might decide that university isn't for you.

ReputationRep:
    Hi acework

Don't get discouraged. If you start your work before going to uni and continue working whilst you are studying, you will be eligible to receive full funding, ie. tuition fee, maintenance grant and student support loan. Just make sure you work legally and have any work permissions/certificates if required.

ReputationRep:
    I actually though that I we could be considered migrant workers if we were working in the UK before applying to the University. My adviser actually said that I was elegible to the status.

Can I send the student finance enquire and, after receiving their answer about the amount I will received I still won't be able to pay all my bills, can I cancel the tuition fee loan,..., etc?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.