Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is having power more important than being rich for some? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Is having power more important than being rich for some? Just wondering about this because in the US version of the house of cards Francis Underwood says to Xander Feng "Add up all your billions together and you get the GDP of Slovakia. I have the Federal Government of the United States of America. You money doesn't intimidate me. The most that you can buy is influence. But I wield Constitutional authority." He also says "He chose money over power - in this town, a mistake nearly everyone makes. Money is the Mc-mansion in Sarasota that starts falling apart after 10 years. Power is the old stone building that stands for centuries." Is the character just saying this because he is a politician or is he right? I thought the lobbyists and the wealthy people that fund campaigns are the ones with real power, or so they would lead you to believe?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It is reasonable, I mean every aspect of society derives from the authority of the constitution. If you have the ability to pull the strings as the logic follows, you are in a position to limit and create money.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    To answer that question simply pick between being PM or winning the lottery.

That being said in the real world, money to a large degree gives you power. And for most, power is freedom.

(freedom in this sense being freedom from the law)

ReputationRep:
    They can both come together.

ReputationRep:
    I prefer money.

With power comes responsibility and I don't like responsibility.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Prefer money, less hassle

ReputationRep:
    Depends on what kind of political system you're manoeuvring in. There's no real rule of thumb for this, it all applies to the situation - well that's what I think / believe

ReputationRep:
    I'd rather power. With power comes a hell of a lot of money, and near untouchable status.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hsv)
    Is having power more important than being rich for some? Just wondering about this because in the US version of the house of cards Francis Underwood says to Xander Feng "Add up all your billions together and you get the GDP of Slovakia. I have the Federal Government of the United States of America. You money doesn't intimidate me. The most that you can buy is influence. But I wield Constitutional authority." He also says "He chose money over power - in this town, a mistake nearly everyone makes. Money is the Mc-mansion in Sarasota that starts falling apart after 10 years. Power is the old stone building that stands for centuries." Is the character just saying this because he is a politician or is he right? I thought the lobbyists and the wealthy people that fund campaigns are the ones with real power, or so they would lead you to believe?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Honestly, they're both important. One can influence the other. Money can buy power, and power can let you acculumate money.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.