Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone.

I'm currently in Year 10 and next year I'll be applying to sixth forms. I've been told by my teachers that I apply to sixth forms with my predicted grades. My grades are currently

Maths - A
    Biology - A
    Chemistry - A
    Physics - B
    English Language - A
    English Literature - A
    Spanish - C
    Sociology - A
    RE - A
    History - B

With these grades I plan on applying to sixth forms and colleges such as Woodhouse, Dame Alice Owens, Mill Hill and I'm worried that their not high enough to be offered a place. I've been on the websites and for most of them it says you need to have mostly B/A, e.g Woodhouse you need to average a B.

However this is only the minimum. Does anyone know what your predicted grades need to be to have a realistic shot of getting into these schools.

Also I'll be applying for Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry if that changes anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperStudent1)
    Hey everyone.

I'm currently in Year 10 and next year I'll be applying to sixth forms. I've been told by my teachers that I apply to sixth forms with my predicted grades. My grades are currently

Maths - A
    Biology - A
    Chemistry - A
    Physics - B
    English Language - A
    English Literature - A
    Spanish - C
    Sociology - A
    RE - A
    History - B

With these grades I plan on applying to sixth forms and colleges such as Woodhouse, Dame Alice Owens, Mill Hill and I'm worried that their not high enough to be offered a place. I've been on the websites and for most of them it says you need to have mostly B/A, e.g Woodhouse you need to average a B.

However this is only the minimum. Does anyone know what your predicted grades need to be to have a realistic shot of getting into these schools.

Also I'll be applying for Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry if that changes anything.
    hey , i am in year 10 too and i am also hoping to apply to similar sixth forms , first thing to note is in year 10 they are not allowed to give you high grades for some reason i don't know why but almost certainly those grades will go up in year 11 and i think you only get your final predicted grades after year 11 mocks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Humzaawan123)
    hey , i am in year 10 too and i am also hoping to apply to similar sixth forms , first thing to note is in year 10 they are not allowed to give you high grades for some reason i don't know why but almost certainly those grades will go up in year 11 and i think you only get your final predicted grades after year 11 mocks
    Really. At my school we do are Year 11 mocks around January so we get our predicted grades to apply before that. In Year 11, I'll hopefully be able to move up some of my grades. Especially Physics which is at a B right now.

Anyway do you have any idea what's needed to have a good chance of getting in? What are your predicted grades?

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone.

Maths - A
    Biology - A
    Chemistry - A
    Physics - B
    English Language - A
    English Literature - A
    Spanish - C
    Sociology - A
    RE - A
    History - B

I'm not from your area so I can't really comment on the specific requirements of the schools/colleges you're looking at. However, I did take the exact same combination of a-level subjects that you are taking so I can tell you what they're like.

Note that some of this might sound harsh but that's because the difficulty increases when you get to a-level. At the moment, you're doing really really well and you should keep it up!

One thing worth asking is how realistic do you think these current grades are, i.e. do you think they should be higher or lower depending on previous exam and mock exam results, and based on how difficult you found the work?

Maths is very interesting and challenging. I personally found it the easiest out of the subjects I did. However one thing to be aware of it that due to the way the grade boundaries work, it's very common for people's grades to drop when they get to a-level. So it's worth making sure you can work accurately and get every mark you can. Further maths is similar, but a bit more challenging. Because of all this, maths and further maths often require higher grades in GCSE maths to take the a-level. This is because they don't want people taking the subjects then failing. With the grade you're on at the moment you should be fine taking both subjects, however if your maths grade drops down to a B then it would be in your interests not to take further maths.

Chemistry and Physics are fairly similar. Both involve 'calculation' and 'explanation' type questions in exams as well as practicals. I generally found the calculation type questions to be fairly easy, although you can sometimes get caught out by forgetting the units or making a silly mistake early on and not getting follow through marks. Explanation type questions can be harder - they might expect you to include certain keywords where it's not obvious that they should be used. So definitely practise a lot with past papers. Depending on your exam board, you might have practical exams. Again, it's a case of knowing the sorts of things they are looking for in how to write a method or how to show you're being accurate. In chemistry, we might have to find the concentration of a certain solution they gave us, and get marked on how close we are to the true concentration. Generally, physics had more maths/calculations whilst chemistry had more facts to remember. It was that volume of facts that made chemistry the hardest for me, and I ended up spending a lot more time on it when it came to revision. Your grades for both subjects so far look generally ok to carry on taking the subjects although you may find physics a bit harder.

ReputationRep:
    Really. At my school we do are Year 11 mocks around January so we get our predicted grades to apply before that. In Year 11, I'll hopefully be able to move up some of my grades. Especially Physics which is at a B right now.

Anyway do you have any idea what's needed to have a good chance of getting in? What are your predicted grades?
    My predicteds are all A's even if i got an A* on a mock they would still put an a but they ashured me it will go up in yr 11

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone.
    I think you should be fine! I applied to two state schools in Oxford and one wanted 6 Cs or above and the other which is the best state school in Oxfordshire wanted 4 Cs and 4 Bs... The only sixth forms you might not get into are private ones... I've heard Magdalen in Oxford wanted 6 A*s!!

ReputationRep:

For top Sixth Forms you'll be looking at places such as KEGS etc, and they require on average 6 A*s and the rest As. Most will disregard anything below a B when it comes to their point system. But most Sixth Forms require mostly all Bs, and a few Cs in the mix. Getting into Sixth Form is ridiculously easy, just make your that your chosen subjects are at a minimum of an A and you'll be fine. I'm currently in Year 11, well just finished Year 11, and I applied to a few grammar schools around my area, the demanding requirements are 6 As and 2 Bs if you're curious. Good Luck.

ReputationRep:
    does anyone know the necessary predicted grades to get into dame alice owens

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.